Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Great beers

I used to drink 6X in pubs when I was a teenager, and thought it was lovely. Bought some cans a while back, and it was vile! I reckon my taste buds have possibly evolved a bit.
Possibly, but 6X is not what it was either.

With cans, I find the craft beer "brewed for cans" stuff like Beaverton/Siren etc better than the "canned version of real ale" stuff out there. The only vaguely decent canned ales I've found are the St Austell Proper Job and Thornbridge Jaipur - they're not good - just better than other canned ales.

Lidl over here sell the Imperial IPA (third from the left in the photo) but not seen the others. It is a nice beer :)
I've tried it as well. I've worked my way through most of Lidl's beers in the last few months. :D :( I thought it was a bit bland, though, tbh. Probably not bitter enough for me. I prefer Lidl's own-brand Hatherwood IPA.

Possibly, but 6X is not what it was either.

With cans, I find the craft beer "brewed for cans" stuff like Beaverton/Siren etc better than the "canned version of real ale" stuff out there. The only vaguely decent canned ales I've found are the St Austell Proper Job and Thornbridge Jaipur - they're not good - just better than other canned ales.
Thornbridge Green Mountain in a can is very good.

Love dark beers. Favourite of all time was a Belgian monastery just over the dutch border Abdij (Abbey) type beer.

In UK there's (can't remember)'s Winter Warmer in south east plus Badgers and Theakstones. The local shop delivers three beers every week of which my favourite is Owd Roger which is also lovely.

Young's Winter Warmer?

I used to like a pint of Young's Special.

My favourite dark Belgian ale is Orval. Lovely stuff. Tiny Rebel's Cwtch tastes quite similar.

The best on tap i used to get here was Brew Dog. I miss a nice range of draught beer. I'll get home one day and then spend time just drinking good beer.

This stuff was my (seasonal) favourite when we lived in London. Not sure it's even made, anymore what with Young's out of Wandsworth for a decade...

user1926_85822.jpg

What is the most precise definition
Yeah, I buy Beavertown cans in the Supermarket when I'm being lazy. Don't often see them on draft down here.
Neck Oil on tap is becoming quite common in London, can even get it in a green king pub I go to, and can be at the same price near enough of other pints. It does go down nicely, about as close as i get to drinking pub larger these days (though can't drink at all atm ).

Some of Devon's finest. All brewed within 20 miles of here

Yellowhammer by Hanlons
Avocet by Exeter Brewery, if I want something light
Otter Amber
Summa That by Branscombe Vale brewery

Last edited:
Another vote for Taylor's Landlord; a cracking pint. All beers should be out of a cask, not a bottle or can of course.
In addition I would add
1618733640118.png
Brewed almost next door to me until a month or two back and a fantastic pint, very drinkable
1618733764518.png

Proper job. Siren brewery: hop candy & ryesing tides. All Deya beers, though saturated in citra I particularly liked, as I thought it was like hopcandy but more balanced, and their saturated in strata is really nice too. Good chemistry's redstart rye is lovely. Left Handed Giant and Electric Bear are really good too. Spoilt for choice in Bristol/ South West 😀

My 1st love was Young's Bitter, but since they closed their brewery in Wandsworth, & moved to Bedfordshire, it doesn't taste the same. I know that lots of old farts say that about the beers of their youth, but in the case of Young's, switching from the water in their artesian well, to piped water at the Wells Brewery HAS changed the finished product.
I'm currently enjoying Konigshof Pils from Krefeld; Guinness Extra from Dublin; Sainsbury's Dry Cider (cheap & thirst-quenching!), & Williams Bros' Grozet gooseberry ale.

On separate days, of course!

I like the stuff that's being brewed using kveik yeast. It reminds me of happy times on the Hardangervidda.

Young's, on the plus side, Sambrooks have taken over a little bit of the old brewery.the rest is flats and the odd shop.

I'm hearing good things about DB from mates in the Ding. I'm not a fan of sours or ale with added fruit juice, but I shall be sampling their beers as soon as the opportunity arises.

The Reading area is spoilt for decent breweries. West Berks/Twyford/Siren/Elusive amongst others.

Yeah. Shout out for Wild Weather as well.

Back
Top Bottom