Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Great beers

I really proper appreciated having a pint of Jennings Cumberland ale recently. Mind you, last time I drank a pint of Somersby cider I was moved to enthuse about how beautiful it was, so treat my opinions with as much skepticism as seems appropriate there.

My local boozer is a Verdant brewery supplier

I liked the effect of their strong IPAs until
Next day then develop cholera so can’t drink them (really brutal wheat allergy response)

They are so niche the bar manager designed/commissioned a “sensible” strength and taste IPA so normal people
Could drink without becoming incoherent (and bankrupt) after two pints

Great if you want to look like you are drinking a pint of thick pineapple juice

a selection

batemans' dark mild (no longer made :( )
kimberley bitter (likewise :( )
hog's back hop garden gold
exmoor gold
enville gothic stout
batemans' salem porter

I've got to admit, when I see "Wandle", I think of a festering ditch full of shopping trolleys and industrial effluents. It's a bit cognitively dissonant to see it on the side of a barrel of what looks like rather nice beer...
Sambrook's beers are very good. They sell them in Spoons sometimes. Always have it when it's there.

Sad news.

Sapporo seems to have fucked it up. Thankfully, there are plenty of decent craft Japanese beers who do care about the customers and the beer.

No consolation for Anchor, though.

Recently slightly pissed off as Guinness was changed here, without any notice, to make it more palatable to Japanese tastes.

Unfortunately, this is relatively common over here. You do, of course, get authentic world foods but there is a tendency for mainstreaming (for example) Italian to make it a bit more generic.

The Guinness isn't awful and ironically, most drinkers (that have spoken with) don't seem to notice the difference!

It reminds of the seasonal variations they bring out back in Ireland.

Anyways, sorry to say goodbye to Anchor.

Well that is a fucking shame. Thought it was pretty good beer, especially in that period where most American beer was shit.

Of course now it's shit for different reasons. Am I the only one whe hates over-strength IPAs made with fucking Mosaic?

Floral, cunty beer for people who don't like proper beer. Pint of Landlord please
Tbf, as well as drinking and enjoying Landlord, I sometimes drink and enjoy floral,cunty beers. :D

Well that is a fucking shame. Thought it was pretty good beer, especially in that period where most American beer was shit.

Of course now it's shit for different reasons. Am I the only one whe hates over-strength IPAs made with fucking Mosaic?

Floral, cunty beer for people who don't like proper beer. Pint of Landlord please
I have also been known to enjoy a floral, cunty beer, especially on a hot summer day. It serves a similar purpose to cider.

What does annoy me is the pubs in London that serve about eight different floral, cunty beers and nothing else, and call themselves a craft beer establishment. Also, they are usually about a pound a pint more expensive, for no discernible reason. Was in York recently, and it appeared that just about every pub there had a range of proper beers plus the odd floral, cunty one, which is the correct balance. Even had a very decent pint of mild. :cool:

I have also been known to enjoy a floral, cunty beer, especially on a hot summer day. It serves a similar purpose to cider.

What does annoy me is the pubs in London that serve about eight different floral, cunty beers and nothing else, and call themselves a craft beer establishment. Also, they are usually about a pound a pint more expensive, for no discernible reason. Was in York recently, and it appeared that just about every pub there had a range of proper beers plus the odd floral, cunty one, which is the correct balance. Even had a very decent pint of mild. :cool:

Ooh my local floral cunty emporium also does a really lovely ruby mild to be fair.

Sambrook's beers are very good. They sell them in Spoons sometimes. Always have it when it's there.
One of my top 5 beers and not just because the brewery is within walking distance. :thumbs: In fact there are at least 3 micro's within
walking distance of me.
When I saw the thread bumped, I was reminded of all the microbreweries we have lost recently; there have been lots lost.

Back
Top Bottom