Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Shambala 2023

AnnO'Neemus

Is so vanilla
The fancy dress theme this year is...

Part of the furniture.

Maybe this year will be the year I finally get my act together and make a costume.

I've just noticed that there are still tickets available for this. That's unusual for this time of year no?

I think in recent years it would all be sold out by now - but there's only a few coach & bike tickets left, and the capacity has gone up by 1500 compared to pre covid capacity. I reckon it'll still sell out as per usual. First time i went i just bought a ticket from a shop (remember those) a few days before. Think it was about £60. Though tbf that was 20 years ago..

I've just noticed that there are still tickets available for this. That's unusual for this time of year no?
Coach and cycling tickets normally hang around.

Periodically you’ll find normal tickets back on sale as people return them

The line up is being released in June. They used to not release it until the start of the festival (until one year was quiet - so they went all guns blazing the next year with ads and line up etc)

Though the line up is usually just word salad anyway. tbf the bookers do a great job - but there's not many household names. The best decription i heard of the music at Shambala is that its the soundtrack to the weekend rather than the focus.

The line up is being released in June. They used to not release it until the start of the festival (until one year was quiet - so they went all guns blazing the next year with ads and line up etc)

Though the line up is usually just word salad anyway. tbf the bookers do a great job - but there's not many household names. The best decription i heard of the music at Shambala is that its the soundtrack to the weekend rather than the focus.
Which is not great to hear when it’s the music that you want to focus on. Though having said that, the best festivals I’ve been to have been ones where I’ve missed loads of acts that I had been desperate to hear but got distracted by silliness and shenanigans

Which is not great to hear when it’s the music that you want to focus on. Though having said that, the best festivals I’ve been to have been ones where I’ve missed loads of acts that I had been desperate to hear but got distracted by silliness and shenanigans
Yeah I agree and disagree. Or disagree and agree. I think there are a few festivals which may have fantastic lineups but don't necessarily seem like places I want to be. The most important thing is the people

The fancy dress theme this year is...

Part of the furniture.

Maybe this year will be the year I finally get my act together and make a costume.

For some reason I thought you lived in the States.
I’ve nearly been to Shambala a couple of times with mates but usually found the set list not to my tastes.

I really like the music there - which, for anyone whos not been, tends to be bands with brass sections, african, latin, folk and funk with DJs playing a lot of D&B/Jungle, Disco and some house. But a lot of friends stay away for that very reason.

I really like the music there - which, for anyone whos not been, tends to be bands with brass sections, african, latin, folk and funk with DJs playing a lot of D&B/Jungle, Disco and some house. But a lot of friends stay away for that very reason.

Yeah, I think I’m one of them.

Yeah, I think I’m one of them.
Its well worth at least one visit - its not like a trad festival where you just stand and watch bands - there's loads of stuff going on and has the best atmosphere of any festvial I've been to. But if thats not for you - fair enough. There's no shortage of other festivals for whatever stuff people are into.

Also last year they had a punk tent as well. Which was great. Long may it continue.

PS AnnO'Neemus - there are too many "L"s in the thread title, which is mildly vexing me. Is it possible for you to edit, please?

Also last year they had a punk tent as well. Which was great. Long may it continue.

PS AnnO'Neemus - there are too many "L"s in the thread title, which is mildly vexing me. Is it possible for you to edit, please?
Sorry, I do know how to spell it, it's Shambala, think it must have been an autocorrect on my phone.

I'm not able to edit the thread title, so I'm going to report my post to the mods and ask them to change it please.

For some reason I thought you lived in the States.
I’ve nearly been to Shambala a couple of times with mates but usually found the set list not to my tastes.
They didn't used to publish it, iirc. But I've always found that there's something for almost everyone, if you wander around. That's part of the fun, coming across acts that you've never heard of, some dire, some brilliant. I've been to see some acts elsewhere after having seen them first at Shambala.

I've been to loads of festivals over the years but shambala really is something special.
I astounded myself with my stamina and managed to dance until 5/6am 3 out of the 4 nights, the night I didn't was still a respectable 3.30 when I staggered back to camp.
Congo Natty on the Sunday night was a disappointment, but that was my only gripe through the entire 4 days

Posting this here too in case it rings a bell. Poet Gboyega Odubanjo is missing and police are appealing for help. He was last seen at the Shambala Festival. He was due to read his poetry later but never turned up. It is out of character for him to go missing.

Posting this here too in case it rings a bell. Poet Gboyega Odubanjo is missing and police are appealing for help. He was last seen at the Shambala Festival. He was due to read his poetry later but never turned up. It is out of character for him to go missing.

His body was found this morning by police. They are not treating it as suspicious :(

Had a really good time. Great people and vibes. Way less sketchy than it used to be although I was staying in family camping ...

Shout out to sim667 who helped me get a ticket the last time I attended 8 years ago. They had sold out and you put me onto a bit of software to check for tickets coming online.

Our son now 7 was conceived there so you made a big impact! 🙏

Had a really good time. Great people and vibes. Way less sketchy than it used to be although I was staying in family camping ...

Shout out to sim667 who helped me get a ticket the last time I attended 8 years ago. They had sold out and you put me onto a bit of software to check for tickets coming online.

Our son now 7 was conceived there so you made a big impact! 🙏
Glad to be of service.

I’m always nervous when someone tags me in a thread but this is a good tag 👍

Back
Top Bottom