Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sesame Credit - China's way to use game mechanics to enforce good citizenship

I seriously had this exact idea about running a call centre as a sort of 'if I were running this place and didn't give a shit about the people who work here' thought experiment while working in one. I didn't consider that you could extrapolate it to an entire country.

That is absolute genius. Totalitarian state behaves in a totalitarian manner, no surprise, but that is a stroke of pure genius. Frightening, and downright evil, but genius nonetheless.

I'll bet every political party in Britain is salivating at the prospect of doing it to us.

I think it's a great idea and I can't wait to join in.

<<starts to ignore previous posters and checks score

there will be a way to game it so you are in the top ten yet actually a dissident who funds his cell through ram raids.

That is absolute genius. Totalitarian state behaves in a totalitarian manner, no surprise, but that is a stroke of pure genius. Frightening, and downright evil, but genius nonetheless.

I'll bet every political party in Britain is salivating at the prospect of doing it to us.

You'd be a mug to think the state does already doesn't do this. The big difference between the uk and China as far as surveillance and control is concerned is that the uk uses covert means whereas China's power is overt.

Thatcher and Reagan used the fascist martial state in Chile as a laboratory for their monetarist experiments. The findings were soon adopted and implemented across both sides of the Atlantic, soon afterwards.

China may be hot housing the totalitarian systems of the (near) tomorrow . . .

Beijing is crucial to the survival of advanced capitalism.

Thatcher and Reagan used the fascist martial state in Chile as a laboratory for their monetarist experiments. The findings were soon adopted and implemented across both sides of the Atlantic, soon afterwards.

China may be hot housing the totalitarian systems of the (near) tomorrow . . .

Beijing is crucial to the survival of advanced capitalism.
There's a Chinese liberal academic Qin Hui who has said something similar. Quite the opposite to a liberal "end of history" he feared China was demonstrating that democracy and industrial capitalism might have advanced together but weren't intrinsically linked as has been claimed.

There's a Chinese liberal academic Qin Hui who has said something similar. Quite the opposite to a liberal "end of history" he feared China was demonstrating that democracy and industrial capitalism might have advanced together but weren't intrinsically linked as has been claimed.

Industrial capitalism created the veneer of a coalition with democracy during the Cold War. Having dispensed with Soviet Communism, democracy has been relegated to a fig leaf ... tropes about it being trotted out by western statesmen, (usually after the latest terrorist outrage).

It is utter bulls#it ... and should be seen for nothing else.

Thing is, likes on this forum are what I would call a "bottom up" system of kudos - which posts are "liked" isn't defined by whoever wrote the board software, but by the users themselves choosing to hit the like button.

Also, as far as I know having likes doesn't garner anyone anything except bragging rights.
you see what happens in the secret forum

you see what happens in the secret forum

If there are secret/hidden forums here then I would have heard about them before now, because message boards are terrible at keeping that sort of thing completely secret. I should know because I've been on other forums with them.

China 'social credit': Beijing sets up huge system - BBC News

You get a rather different view of the mechanics, the data sources and the roadmap from private sector to mandation from the BBC's report; these Extra Credit people are a bit shrill and sketchy on fact.

Still rather terrifying. I've long said that in many ways the private sector probably knows more about me in terms of what interests them then the government as to one I'm source of making money, to other a past mild deviant now trying to hold down something looking like a vaguely responsible job. Linked along with a lot of other things. School results, arrests for silly things, even Web history. Well. Up till now I've shrugged about my use of Google. Now I'm starting to take things more seriously.

Still rather terrifying. I've long said that in many ways the private sector probably knows more about me in terms of what interests them then the government as to one I'm source of making money, to other a past mild deviant now trying to hold down something looking like a vaguely responsible job. Linked along with a lot of other things. School results, arrests for silly things, even Web history. Well. Up till now I've shrugged about my use of Google. Now I'm starting to take things more seriously.

Yeah, that's the thing. The big question is what your attributable online identity says about the risk inherent in transacting with you. And it's entirely possible that those who fret about privacy and minimise that identity will pay more for credit or insurance in all their guises. States, generally, have to treat people more equitably.

Back
Top Bottom