Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Sensational discoveries in the Bible!

The catholics? no. They are the ones who tame their mystics via the monastary route, and they tame their pesky intellectuals via the jesuit route.

C0fE? forget it, they are just pretending to even give a shit.

Liberal baptists and the more esoteric non-state prod sects embrace it whole heartedly. Last saturday my mother went to a fucking conference on prophecy. I shit you not.

Not just Solomon - Joseph, David, Joshua, Daniel, Samuel, Moses...

Thing is, prophecy is different from divination innit? The former tends to be involuntary and the outcome of a blessing or similar, the latter is a much more voluntary, learned type of skill. You can't really practice at being a prophet I would think, whereas you most certainly can with divination.

The catholics? no. They are the ones who tame their mystics via the monastary route, and they tame their pesky intellectuals via the jesuit route.

C0fE? forget it, they are just pretending to even give a shit.

Liberal baptists and the more esoteric non-state prod sects embrace it whole heartedly. Last saturday my mother went to a fucking conference on prophecy. I shit you not.

But does any of the conference-goers claim to have prophetic gifts?

Thing is, prophecy is different from divination innit? The former tends to be involuntary and the outcome of a blessing or similar, the latter is a much more voluntary, learned type of skill. You can't really practice at being a prophet I would think, whereas you most certainly can with divination.
The ones I named used divination (although some of them also used prophecy). As for practice, IMHO to some extent both could be honed after enough practice, but it would certainly help if there was some ability in that direction to start with.

The ones I named used divination (although some of them also used prophecy). As for practice, IMHO to some extent both could be honed after enough practice, but it would certainly help if there was some ability in that direction to start with.

OK, I'll go with that. Can't be arsed to faff around reading the Bible on a bleeding Saturday.

But does any of the conference-goers claim to have prophetic gifts?

They were looking for those who might have it, through prayer and some things that are the grossest confirmation bias but yes, the main speaker apparently gave testimony of the efficiacy of his prophetic gift- remember that sometimes people who speak in tongues are said to have given prophetic messages and some other people can intepret the babble. Oh mighty god he uses his vessels in different ways.

They were looking for those who might have it, through prayer and some things that are the grossest confirmation bias but yes, the main speaker apparently gave testimony of the efficiacy of his prophetic gift- remember that sometimes people who speak in tongues are said to have given prophetic messages and some other people can intepret the babble. Oh mighty god he uses his vessels in different ways.

Good point, I'd forgotten about the glossolalia-prophecy link. Not very orthodox, but hey, it beats Latin every day of the week.

Good point, I'd forgotten about the glossolalia-prophecy link. Not very orthodox, but hey, it beats Latin every day of the week.

my grandad didn't die in the reformation so bunch of black clad shirkers could deny his progeny the right to have epic fits in church. Fuck the pope etc etc something about lutheran dissidence

Fuck me, that guy is scary looking.

poltavsky_sasha_79188682268_red.jpg

:eek:

Probably a Skoptsi. That'd be enough to make anyone murderous.

Oh look, they chopped their bollocks off, lol!

That's not the best bit though, really. Another way of looking at it, plenty of such dissenting sects of the raskolniki were a way for peasant 'chattels' to build for themselves different, more meaningful independent lives, identities, and acquire a cultural authority previously denied them, including literacy, and especially for peasant women. In resistance to the state, there was a high degree of solidarity albeit expressed in a religious form of dissent, finding refuge from an unfair world that treated them so badly. Rebelliousness, such as flight from the estates they were tied to, marrying whom they liked (eloping lovers from the same or different estates) non-payment of taxes, refusing to recognise the authority of the manor-lord, priest and the Tsar himself, saw a lot of effort put into hunting them down. Of course, the condescending radical intelligentsia tried, and failed, to tap into this, seeing the simple-minded bumpkins with their exotic practices as a source of popular desire for social liberation, but in need of scientific knowledge, and their self-appointed leadership. :)

this is why im glad im brought up an Irish catholic , a localised religion were reading the bible - particularly that mad jewish old testament bit - is heavily frowned upon , if not actively discouraged .

Back
Top Bottom