Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Seaton, Devon and nearby.

Maggot

The Cake of Liberty
Going to stay in Seaton next week and looking for recommendations. Pubs, restaurants, walks and other stuff to do in the area.

Is the walk to Lyme Regis good?

Going to stay in Seaton next week and looking for recommendations. Pubs, restaurants, walks and other stuff to do in the area.

Is the walk to Lyme Regis good?

The walk to Lyme is fine but IMO it's nicer going the other way to Beer, Branscombe and on to Sidmouth if you're feeling energetic. No idea about buses to get back though

The coast path is excellent on both directions. There's a fairly occasional bus service that can be used to either get to the start of the walk, or to ferry you back on completion.

In the branscombe direction there is a landslip that can walk down, and complete the walk along the beach. Westonmouth is my favourite Devon beach.

There's stuff to do in Beer . There's a tiny museum called the Bomb Shelter, and a little aquatic/geological thing on the slipway iirc.

The Anchor pub in Beer was good last time I went but that was a few years ago.

I have no recommendations at all about Seaton

Definitely go on the tram. It's great. Get off at the end and have a cream tea in the village before heading back.
Lyme Regis is ok, especially if you like shops selling crystals. I was told it was a great foodie destination but it wasn't.
Beer is a cool little place with a nice beach and some good pubs.

There's Sidmouth.. Which is a nice enough beach and little town... seafront is good to walk along. At the west end of it there is Jacob's Ladder to climb up.. Though normally do it other direction - park then walk from across to Jacob's ladder and along the seafront into Sidmouth.

The first bit is a bit boring but is great in the undercliff before Lyme, it’s the closest thing to a rainforest that I’ve been to in Britain.
Britain does have rainforests, you know? Including near Lyme

Coney's Castle is a lovely overgrown hill fort with amazing fauna and some great views over Lyme....beautiful spot......a little further away is my favourite hill fort Ive been to Eggardon which as a dramatic drive up to it and amazing 360 views, rooftop of the world expreince even though its probably about 200m up
both need cars to access....

The undercliff to Lyme is stunning but it's going to be unbearably warm in there and probably quite muddy again given the rain lately. So if you're up for a challenge it's good, if you just want to amble somewhere then no.

Agree with rubbershoes that you should go the other way - the coast path around Beer/Branscombe is amazing & there's a couple of beaches you can only get to on foot which really helps cut the crowds down.

The Jurassic coaster bus is great for the Dorset section so if you fancy a day walk somewhere that's really helpful to get around. The bit around West Bay - Golden Cap - Charmouth is very nice.

I have no recommendations for Seaton either.

Have been enjoying it so far. Went on the Tramway and did a lovely walk around Colyton. Fossil hunting and swimming in the sea at Charmouth. Went to Lyme but it was rammed. Went to Exmouth and on the ferry to Starcross. Also Blackbury Camp, an iron age hillfort which looked great in the evening sun.

Last edited:
I’m off to Sidmouth tomorrow. Asked a few colleagues if it was worth arriving there a few hours before the thing I am going to starts. Their opinion was no :D

Back
Top Bottom