Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bristol - suburbs, nearby towns, nice places to visit on a reccy

Yeah, the Glos Rd on a Saturday is a bit much tbh. Stapleton Road's better anyway

This is a really useful thread to stumble across - we're moving to Bristol too, probably in July, from Brighton (landlords are really pushing rents up to unsustainable levels down here). We know we like the place, but haven't really had any time to figure out where exactly to move to yet so this is all handy info.
Looking for somewhere reasonably close to town, lively but not actively lairy, not fussed about family-friendly or green spaces at this stage.
Initially thinking of Cotham/Redland/Bishopston, or if that's a bit too la-di-da or stuffy then the Easton/St George/Redfield bit.

Any further tips gratefully recieved - I know nothing :D
I would live in Montpelier or St. Pauls over Cotham/Redland/Bishopston if you aren't bothered about kid friendly or green space. My brother lived in Cotham/Redland for a while and it was very rah studenty, some of Redland is very, very posh, and Bishopston is very middle class family.

Easton/St George/Redfield is lovely too but dire for schools unfortunately.

Echo that, I did Redland for a year, it was appalling. Would definitely live east of the Glos Rd (ie St Pauls, Montpelier, St Andrews) over the west (Bishopston, Redland, Cotham).

I quite liked Redland when I lived there, although that was when the Kensington was a decent pub.

I lived in Redland as a student. When UWE had a hall there. I quite liked the quiet streets with trees. Used to go out down Gloucester Road though. eschewing White Ladies Road with it's wanker bars.

Just too many coctail bars with braying posh students.

The Shakespier on lower Redland Road IIRC was alright.

Yes it was, used to go there quite a bit. It's still alright actually, we popped in for a couple a few years back when we were doing a Severn Beach line pub crawl.

Yes it was, used to go there quite a bit. It's still alright actually, we popped in for a couple a few years back when we were doing a Severn Beach line pub crawl.

I haven't been out up that way for a few years myself. XGF used to live near the Clide, which was alright too.

Having glanced over page 1, I see Chris Filter mentions trees in the street. I really miss that. Mind you I live on a main road, they ccut a couple down here recently when doing some gas repairs.

I quite liked Redland when I lived there, although that was when the Kensington was a decent pub.
Yeah, the Kenny's awful now.

Kind of assumed that Glos Rd being preferable to Whiteladies went without saying!

*takes notes*

This is great, thanks all. It's really helpful to narrow things before we start looking properly. Definitely not keen on rah studenty :D
We're both chefs too - the impression I got was that it wouldn't be too hard to find fairly decent work in town. You don't seem short of dining options up there :cool:

Having glanced over page 1, I see Chris Filter mentions trees in the street. I really miss that. Mind you I live on a main road, they ccut a couple down here recently when doing some gas repairs.

I used to live in a bedsit in Berkeley Road, Bishopston and there was a lovely huge tree outside my window. My office window overlooks King Square and the trees are beautiful and all covered in blossom at the moment.

Yeah, the Kenny's awful now.

Kind of assumed that Glos Rd being preferable to Whiteladies went without saying!

Ha true enough. Most of the first year students, by no means all posh, (this was UWE of course :D) seemed to go for White Ladies Road though. I've always prefered proper boozers. The long since renamed and changed, Brew House was a second home at times.

Kingsdown seems like a reasonable place to live. It can be noisy at the lower end near the BRI. But if you like hills and the odd tree it seems quite nice. Mind you I've only wandered round a little bit recently as I joined the gym up there.

That bit of Kingsdown around the church is really, really nice. Eye wateringly expensive though!

Ha true enough. Most of the first year students, by no means all posh, (this was UWE of course :D) seemed to go for White Ladies Road though. I've always prefered proper boozers. The long since renamed and changed, Brew House was a second home at times.
Yeah well, students *shrugs*

Loads of the buggers round Stokes Croft now mind with all the new student flats in the area

And yeah, Kingsdown is gorgeous in places

I've been looking at places near the bristol–bath cycle path and think staple hill or Mangotsfield seem like good options with a fairly easy bus commute into town. Are this areas okay? Hopefully we're narrowing down, but I am thinking that east rather than south or North might be for us...

I've been looking at places near the bristol–bath cycle path and think staple hill or Mangotsfield seem like good options with a fairly easy bus commute into town. Are this areas okay? Hopefully we're narrowing down, but I am thinking that east rather than south or North might be for us...
I just realised that in 53 years I've never actually been to Mangotsfield - except for the disused station on the railway path which is a popular resting spot - it appears to merge into Emersons Green which is recent suburban sprawl.
Staple Hill is respectable - mostly Victorian houses has some shops of its own ...

I just realised that in 53 years I've never actually been to Mangotsfield - except for the disused station on the railway path which is a popular resting spot - it appears to merge into Emersons Green which is recent suburban sprawl.
Staple Hill is respectable - mostly Victorian houses has some shops of its own ...
thanks! I think we have a few areas now to check out when we hopefully get to come and visit :)

I don't really know Mangotsfield either - it would be a lot longer commute than Staple Hill, which is very nice. You could check out Downend as well although it tends to be a little more expensive than Staple Hill.

I don't really know Mangotsfield either - it would be a lot longer commute than Staple Hill, which is very nice. You could check out Downend as well although it tends to be a little more expensive than Staple Hill.
cheers Geri :)

Mangotsfield's ok... a bit far out (though still on the bus route) and not loads of life. I'd err on the side of Staple Hill if you're looking over there.

It's also home to the mighty Mangotsfield United FC, the real Man United :cool:

I recommend Fishponds although I don't live there (I'm in Eastville which is next to it). It has huge parks (Eastville Park, which has the river running through it, Oldbury Court) lots of supermarkets (Morrisons, Aldi and Lidl, and an Iceland is opening soon) cafés, restaurants (new Italian just open) a trendy Lounge bar (which I have never been in) a Wetherspoons (which I have) plus loads of other pubs, decent fish & chip shop, a butchers, hairdressers, Indian salon where you can get threading, a greengrocers. It's handy for the Bristol - Bath cycletrack (you can get on just past Morrisons). It's also only about 3 miles from the centre of town with very regular buses and a night bus. House prices are pretty reasonable compared to the rest of Bristol.

If it is Bristol Uni your OH would be working at then it is cycleable, or two shortish bus journeys - Fishponds to town (3 miles) then bus from town to the University (which could be walkable if he is energetic, depends whereabouts in the University he is likely to be working).

Lived in Stapleton for two years while at Uni, about the same distance and commute and I would not recommend doing it. Buses in Bristol are crap and expensive whereas the Severn Beach line is the opposite. My recommendation would be somewhere in Redfield/St George within walking distance of Lawrence Hill Station. Was there two years ago in a 3 bed for £650 with a garden (not huge but enough for a veg patch and a grassy bit), very near a large park too.

Taxis at night might be pricey after dark as you'll probably be outside the city limits and therefore subjected to legal robbery.

Lived in Stapleton for two years while at Uni, about the same distance and commute and I would not recommend doing it. Buses in Bristol are crap and expensive whereas the Severn Beach line is the opposite. My recommendation would be somewhere in Redfield/St George within walking distance of Lawrence Hill Station. Was there two years ago in a 3 bed for £650 with a garden (not huge but enough for a veg patch and a grassy bit), very near a large park too.

Yes, it's nice around there. I lived in Redfield (near the Barton Hill flats) before I moved to Eastville, and at one point I was going to move back there but it fell through. I am happy where I am now though, as I have everything I need within walking distance.

Yeah, Redfield's seemed OK whenever I've visited (not often)

Yes, it's nice around there. I lived in Redfield (near the Barton Hill flats) before I moved to Eastville, and at one point I was going to move back there but it fell through. I am happy where I am now though, as I have everything I need within walking distance.

Living near the train stations can make a big difference. Four of us heading to Motion tonight and travelling from Filton, Clifton & Montpelier to TM, total cost around £8. Buses would be £16 and taxis around £30 minimum.

Living near the train stations can make a big difference. Four of us heading to Motion tonight and travelling from Filton, Clifton & Montpelier to TM, total cost around £8. Buses would be £16 and taxis around £30 minimum.
I'm going to town tonight and haven't the faintest idea how - or if - I'm getting home. Only night bus that goes north west terminates in Shire ffs, Lawrence Weston, Avonmouth and Henbury can fuck off as far as WorstBus are concerned. Grrr.

I never really think about getting the train normally, but then again I don't much like hanging around Stapleton Road station. We do get it if we are going to Temple Meads though.

When I moved to Redfield nearly 30 years ago, I felt I'd moved downmarket from Horfield, and wished I could afford St George or maybe even Southville, but I'm not sure now I would want to live anywhere else in Bristol.
Not the most stunning shops, but within cycling distance of anything one could want.

Back
Top Bottom