Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Bristol - suburbs, nearby towns, nice places to visit on a reccy

Oh btw having just looked the rentals round here and there is practically nothing-I'm guessing after Christmas lull. I there is normally more.

Just thought I'd bump this as we're contemplating a move to Bristol (job-getting dependent) :eek:

My fella pretty much thinks south of the river = boring though. Is that the case? We're both in our early thirties, and still like going out and stuff, but might end up with an ankle-biter in the next few years. I don't want to live anywhere too studenty/grotty and would love a house or flat with its own garden. I guess we'll rent to start with but would like to buy eventually. We're used to Berlin prices though so I think we're going to be in for a shock with prices!

Any advice? :)

Norf Bris all my life, the south brings me out in a rash. I have friends who enjoy it down there but...

Having said that, the south is generally a bit cheaper and you get more for your money. As for the north, from your description I'd say maybe the further edges of Easton/Redfield/St George could be more your bag - not terribly far from town/going out things, not as pricey as west Bristol and a bit less, er, 'edgy' than St Pauls, inner Easton etc. St Andrews/Bishopston/St Werburghs etc could be good too but a bit pricier and middle class hippy.

Thora might be good for this one

South of river = trendy. Our elected mayor runs a fancy theatre there in what was once the Wills tobacco factory (and lives in the penthouse).

It'll depend where you're working.
East Bristol (just north of the river) has the benefit of the railway path - which is effectively also a park and a way to get into the countryside on a bike.

If I was moving within Bristol, the railway path would define where to ...

cyclepath.jpg

Yeah, bits of the south have gentrified somewhat. I preferred North Street the way it was 15 years ago tbh

East includes Redfield/St George etc wot I mentioned up there

thanks, the fella would be working at the university, so a 30-40 min walk/cycle/bus commute is the max we would want to live away from that. I'll probably work from home to start with anyway.

gentlegreen - I'll check out the railway path - where does it run to/from/through? eta - don't worry, I googled it!

Either Redfield/St George in the east for cheap, interesting, not too grotty/studenty, good for kids and houses with gardens (eg. £700-£800 a month for 3 bed Victorian terrace with a garden)
South Bristol - Bedminster, Windmill Hill, Knowle - the same as above but maybe slightly more expensive (eg. 2 bed Victorian terrace with a garden).

Trendy/Yummy Mummy - Southville in the south and St. Andrews/Bishopston in the north. More expensive areas, bit more upmarket/middle-aged and middle-class.

Either Redfield/St George in the east for cheap, interesting, not too grotty/studenty, good for kids and houses with gardens (eg. £700-£800 a month for 3 bed Victorian terrace with a garden)
South Bristol - Bedminster, Windmill Hill, Knowle - the same as above but maybe slightly more expensive (eg. 2 bed Victorian terrace with a garden).

Trendy/Yummy Mummy - Southville in the south and St. Andrews/Bishopston in the north. More expensive areas, bit more upmarket/middle-aged and middle-class.
Thanks Thora - that's great! I'll start looking around :) cheers!

Cycling distance to the widely-spread University campus puts a different spin on it with regards a half hour cycling commute ...

sooo, next question - is there any reason why most places I'm looking at which claim to have gardens don't seem to have any actual grass or stuff growing in the ground - lots of concreted back gardens or decking if they're a bit posher... just curious!

sooo, next question - is there any reason why most places I'm looking at which claim to have gardens don't seem to have any actual grass or stuff growing in the ground - lots of concreted back gardens or decking if they're a bit posher... just curious!
Inner city areas are densely populated, gardens are small, concrete is easier for landlords/tenants to maintain.

If you want more space/grassy gardens you might need to look further out - Fishponds, Hanham/Kingswood, Brislington, Bishopsworth/Bedminster Down.

I recommend Fishponds although I don't live there (I'm in Eastville which is next to it). It has huge parks (Eastville Park, which has the river running through it, Oldbury Court) lots of supermarkets (Morrisons, Aldi and Lidl, and an Iceland is opening soon) cafés, restaurants (new Italian just open) a trendy Lounge bar (which I have never been in) a Wetherspoons (which I have) plus loads of other pubs, decent fish & chip shop, a butchers, hairdressers, Indian salon where you can get threading, a greengrocers. It's handy for the Bristol - Bath cycletrack (you can get on just past Morrisons). It's also only about 3 miles from the centre of town with very regular buses and a night bus. House prices are pretty reasonable compared to the rest of Bristol.

If it is Bristol Uni your OH would be working at then it is cycleable, or two shortish bus journeys - Fishponds to town (3 miles) then bus from town to the University (which could be walkable if he is energetic, depends whereabouts in the University he is likely to be working).

I recommend Fishponds although I don't live there (I'm in Eastville which is next to it). It has huge parks (Eastville Park, which has the river running through it, Oldbury Court) lots of supermarkets (Morrisons, Aldi and Lidl, and an Iceland is opening soon) cafés, restaurants (new Italian just open) a trendy Lounge bar (which I have never been in) a Wetherspoons (which I have) plus loads of other pubs, decent fish & chip shop, a butchers, hairdressers, Indian salon where you can get threading, a greengrocers. It's handy for the Bristol - Bath cycletrack (you can get on just past Morrisons). It's also only about 3 miles from the centre of town with very regular buses and a night bus. House prices are pretty reasonable compared to the rest of Bristol.

If it is Bristol Uni your OH would be working at then it is cycleable, or two shortish bus journeys - Fishponds to town (3 miles) then bus from town to the University (which could be walkable if he is energetic, depends whereabouts in the University he is likely to be working).
Or the little Train from Easton.

This is a really useful thread to stumble across - we're moving to Bristol too, probably in July, from Brighton (landlords are really pushing rents up to unsustainable levels down here). We know we like the place, but haven't really had any time to figure out where exactly to move to yet so this is all handy info.
Looking for somewhere reasonably close to town, lively but not actively lairy, not fussed about family-friendly or green spaces at this stage.
Initially thinking of Cotham/Redland/Bishopston, or if that's a bit too la-di-da or stuffy then the Easton/St George/Redfield bit.

Any further tips gratefully recieved - I know nothing :D

Depends how wealthy you are.

I rented in Bishopston for 5 years and when I bought a place in Easton/St George/Redfield 30 years ago, I missed the shops, but I like living in a quietish backwater - the Railway Path more than makes up for it.

I simply have to haul myself up to Redland every few months to buy the very few things I can't get - and make it into a picnic at Ashton Court...

If you're into gigs and stuff, Easton/St George/Redfield may be a bit inconvenient ..

Depends how wealthy you are.

I rented in Bishopston for 5 years and when I bought a place in Easton/St George/Redfield 30 years ago, I missed the shops, but I like living in a quietish backwater - the Railway Path more than makes up for it.

I simply have to haul myself up to Redland every few months to buy the very few things I can't get - and make it into a picnic at Ashton Court...

If you're into gigs and stuff, Easton/St George/Redfield may be a bit inconvenient ..

Well, that depends where the gigs are. Plenty around Easton, and none of those places are more than 3 miles from the centre of town.

I agree with you about Bishopston, it was great living there when I was younger but I don't really miss it at all now. You can barely walk on the pavement at weekends, it's so busy. Whenever I go there (which is occasionally to visit a friend) I can't wait to get back to east Bristol.

Back
Top Bottom