Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Map of Devon

Still a dump. An affordable dump though. But it's easy commuting distance to rapidly-growing Execketer so that may not last.
I should have just looked up the nearest bakery- always an indicator as to the town's prosperity depending on the website. Sourdough buns and annoying smug grins vs Greggs vs some creepy local place where the pastry in the window has not moved for five years and does not have an internet presence apart from on the food hygiene standards website.

I should have just looked up the nearest bakery- always an indicator as to the town's prosperity depending on the website. Sourdough buns and annoying smug grins vs Greggs vs some creepy local place where the pastry in the window has not moved for five years and does not have an internet presence apart from on the food hygiene standards website.

Warrens is the sweet spot. Best cheese and onion pasties you can get.

Is Cullumpton ( Cully) still a hole or has been made posh now?

It's grown massively in the last few years. Loads of new housing estates and lots of commuting 'Dexter or up to Taunton.

Before the first lockdown there was a smattering of decent shops and restaurants. But at heart it remains a shitty town. There's no banks left and no chain stores which are the backbone of many high streets , but hey, there is a Costa now.

Who knows what it'll be like when lockdown ends?

Apparently thirty years ago, Honiton was just as shite as Cully was. But Honiton has plenty of chichi antique shops now and the high street is much less depressing than Cully's.

It's grown massively in the last few years. Loads of new housing estates and lots of commuting 'Dexter or up to Taunton.

Before the first lockdown there was a smattering of decent shops and restaurants. But at heart it remains a shitty town. There's no banks left and no chain stores which are the backbone of many high streets , but hey, there is a Costa now.

Who knows what it'll be like when lockdown ends?

Apparently thirty years ago, Honiton was just as shite as Cully was. But Honiton has plenty of chichi antique shops now and the high street is much less depressing than Cully's.
Honiton has always been known as a bit of an antiquey lace town with a bit of history where Cully has just had a very long dour street. I used to live in Bideford which was always, at least in my childhood, thriving and full of independent shops. Okehampton I found weird, like someone had tried to gentrify it and just given up halfway through. Lived near Bampton for a while, great little town with a surprisingly posh Spar. Crediton I hated.

Haha! I'd never heard of Torbaydos. That's brilliant. I spent a few weeks surveying pretty much every street down there years ago for work. Never been to Barbados but I'm going to go out on a limb and say I doubt they have much in common... palm trees though!

You can drive right down the high street IIRC. That's always death for a small town.

I reckon you are on to something there...

Although posh places with tory councils generally also like to allow cars.

Then you get places like Bedminster that are pedestriainised but die anyway.

Torquay is weird. It has gone downhill a lot, like many seaside towns, but if you go to the small beaches and coves on the Teignmouth side of town, on a good day it really can look like vaguely Mediterranean. Plus there are still some ludicrously rich people living in those areas. They don't bother with the town centre anyway.

Yeah, had to go to Crediton last year for the first time in ages. Got stared at a bit. Reminded me what an island in the midst of Brexity rural conservatism Exeter is.
The election map of the south west is 'funny' like that. Two little red islands of Bristol and Exeter surrounded by blue and the odd bit of yellow!

I drove past somewhere today which seemed to be spelt, if not perhaps pronounced - Donkeydick. It was near Kennford.

Torquay is weird. It has gone downhill a lot, like many seaside towns, but if you go to the small beaches and coves on the Teignmouth side of town, on a good day it really can look like vaguely Mediterranean. Plus there are still some ludicrously rich people living in those areas. They don't bother with the town centre anyway.

If you're lucky enough to have access to a small boat the rocky coastline round by the Imperial up towards Thatcher Rock is beautiful.

Turns out Newton Abbot has some genuinely lovely spots. Highweek Church and the Little Common around the churchyard; also Bradley Woods (reminds me of Blaise Castle in Bristol). There's a few other secret little local places with amazing views or lovely woodland, and I'm tempted to include Denbury hillfort since it's only a couple of miles out of town.

" Newton Abbot. Not that bad really "

Turns out Newton Abbot has some genuinely lovely spots. Highweek Church and the Little Common around the churchyard; also Bradley Woods (reminds me of Blaise Castle in Bristol). There's a few other secret little local places with amazing views or lovely woodland, and I'm tempted to include Denbury hillfort since it's only a couple of miles out of town.

" Newton Abbot. Not that bad really "

My village's kids football team always get kicked to shit when they play Newton Abbot. There's always blatant violence and not even disguised as a tackle. Sometimes when the play is up the other end, the NA goalie will come out of his box and take out a loitering attacker.

Back
Top Bottom