Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hotel break in Devon

Mrs Magpie said:
I do, but I've never seen her in the company of otters or butterflies so I'm not sure how I'm meant to react.....

Butterflies are tarted up Moths. Moths are the minions of the devil. That is the party line :D

Otters are ALL win mind :)

....but, back to rutabowa, you can catch the steam train from Buckfastleigh to local towns where there are other attractions.

that was a great place. went on the steam train which was excellent, caught a lift on a motor boat to Totnes, ate a pasty, saw otters AND butterflies, went to Valiant Soldier, had best fish and chips i have ever had in the place opposite the Globe, made friends with all the Globe locals and invited to "the tunnel" by some kids after time was called (we chose not to do this). buckfastleigh is a great little town as it is a proper working place not a twee tourist place like Totness seemed to be.

oh yeah and walked to the Abbey at dusk when it was totally deserted but you could still go inside the church and see all the stained glass etc, just like in a hammer horror film set.

Isn't it? That's my husband's home town. It really struggled after the Wool Mill closed but seems to have survived better than many other country towns that have lost their main source of employment.
i did notice a fair few shut down shops on the high street and one pub has closed down recently leaving only 2, so i reckon recession has hit a bit. but people seem to have enough money to drink in the pub from 1pm till closing every day so can't be that bad. thanks for the recommendation! we sponsored a pig in the pig racing happening next friday if anyone happens to be there.

oh yeah and walked to the Abbey at dusk when it was totally deserted but you could still go inside the church and see all the stained glass etc, just like in a hammer horror film set.
Next time go up to Holy Trinity in Buckfastleigh. Go down Market Street, cross the bypass* and walk up Dogshit Alley and you come to it. It's a ruined church (arsonists in the 1990s :( ) but the churchyard is still used (buried my mother-in-law there recently). It's a really beautiful place and all tied up with the Hound of the Baskervilles.

eta
It's quite a quiet bypass, it's not taking your life in your hands or anything.

I've just got back from another lovely stay at The Globe. There was meant to be the annual big Buckfastleigh event, which is why we were going down. It's an old revived custom, Lamb Pie Day, but from what people in BFL were saying the two blokes who were meant to be organising it cancelled it because they hadn't got it together. People in Buckfastleigh were really disappointed particularly as it does bring a lot of trade to the town...

.....but John & Leanne from The Globe stepped up to the plate and organised a Party In The Park instead and it was absolutely brilliant :) Those two work their socks off for Buckfastleigh.

we were quite disappointed that we were there the week before the pig racing evening in the Globe... we did put money on a pig though but i guess can't have won.

edit: i see have already mentioned that. well it made quiet an impression on me.

Back
Top Bottom