Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

[Sat 26th May 2012] IWCA - Working Class History Month (Oxford)

love detective

there's no love too small
The planned programme of events for the month is set to include film shows, local working class history projects for primary school children, the launch of a working class history section on the Blackbird Leys IWCA website and other events to be confirmed.

To wrap up the celebrations we will be holding an evening's entertainment featuring an eclectic mix of public speakers and live music celebrating working class social, cultural and political history. The event will be held at The Barn, Greater Leys, on 26th May 2012, from 7.30pm - 11pm. Hot and cold drinks will be available.

The provisional agenda includes:
  • Blackbird Leys brothers, Des, Paul, Peter and Terry Brackett who will be chatting to the IWCA's Stuart Craft on their impressive sporting achievements which include between them, national boxing caps, Town and Gown running and boxing victories, triathlon successes and membership of the prestigious 100 Marathon Club.
  • Girls from the IWCA Athletics Club who will be doing a presentation on East Oxford's first Olympian, the enigmatic world record breaking hurdler Maureen Gardner, who won silver and bronze at the 1948 Olympics.
  • The irrepressible CAMRA Pubs Officer, Tony Goulding, who will be giving an talk on 'pubs and the working class'
  • Founder member of the highly significant Anti-Fascist Action, Gary O'Shea, who will discussing: 'Beating the Fascists - the untold story of Anti-Fascist Action'

Admission is only 3 pounds in advance, with all profits going towards the youth work of the IWCA Athletics Club.

To reserve tickets, email Stuart or contact him on 07733 274 324

Ooh, I bet I know someone who's involved in that - an Oxford primary school teacher who happens to be (or until recently was) the leader of the Young Communists.

The planned programme of events for the month is set to include film shows, local working class history projects for primary school children, the launch of a working class history section on the Blackbird Leys IWCA website and other events to be confirmed.

To wrap up the celebrations we will be holding an evening's entertainment featuring an eclectic mix of public speakers and live music celebrating working class social, cultural and political history. The event will be held at The Barn, Greater Leys, on 26th May 2012, from 7.30pm - 11pm. Hot and cold drinks will be available.

The provisional agenda includes:
  • Blackbird Leys brothers, Des, Paul, Peter and Terry Brackett who will be chatting to the IWCA's Stuart Craft on their impressive sporting achievements which include between them, national boxing caps, Town and Gown running and boxing victories, triathlon successes and membership of the prestigious 100 Marathon Club.
  • Girls from the IWCA Athletics Club who will be doing a presentation on East Oxford's first Olympian, the enigmatic world record breaking hurdler Maureen Gardner, who won silver and bronze at the 1948 Olympics.
  • The irrepressible CAMRA Pubs Officer, Tony Goulding, who will be giving an talk on 'pubs and the working class'
  • Founder member of the highly significant Anti-Fascist Action, Gary O'Shea, who will discussing: 'Beating the Fascists - the untold story of Anti-Fascist Action'

Admission is only 3 pounds in advance, with all profits going towards the youth work of the IWCA Athletics Club.

To reserve tickets, email Stuart or contact him on 07733 274 324

Dessie Brackett appeared in a film about coaching the Oxford University boxing team a few years ago:

http://www.eyeforfilm.co.uk/reviews.php?id=6456

Should be a good day.

Sorry. Totally stupid of me to think that a communist primary school teacher in Oxford might be involved in a project on working class history for primary school kids. I mean, there's obviously no crossover there at all.

It's an IWCA thing so I'd doubt there's any communist involvement. I've certainly never met any communist types in Oxford who've been interested in anything the IWCA's been up to but there you are.

ETA And no need to get snippy really.

It's an IWCA thing so I'd doubt there's any communist involvement. I've certainly never met any communist types in Oxford who've been interested in anything the IWCA's been up to but there you are.

surely the IWCA must cross paths with the odd communist of the small 'C' variety ? Some of you may even have been one in the past ?

surely the IWCA must cross paths with the odd communist of the small 'C' variety ? Some of you may even have been one in the past ?

Can't say I've ever specially come across any communists apart from my Great Uncle Jimmy... And he was really, really old.

i just dont think it was necessary to respond like that to someone that was asking an innocent question. (And not having a go, ive done it myslef at times!)

You probably wouldn't know if he was a Communist unless it came up specifically. It definitely sort of thing he and his wife get involved in - though there's not a lot of point in asking if they are, because it's too far to me to come to myself. Really, I was just commenting happily on what is probably an unexpected urban/real life crossover.

I agree that there's no need to get snippy - you shouldn't have. :p

It does look like a good event - hope it's well-attended.

bickering aside, looks like quite an interesting event, might go along if i'm around

I can't go on that date which is irritating because it does look interesting. I'm also looking forward to the material being prepared for the website.

Is there an address/info for supporting donations btw?

I can't go on that date which is irritating because it does look interesting. I'm also looking forward to the material being prepared for the website.

Paul Mason may be doing a session on another day in relation to this - will update when/if it's confirmed

Is there an address/info for supporting donations btw?

Best to just use the donations link on the national IWCA site and it will get passed on

cheers, just saw it coming through now - that was very generous of you!

Hopefully something will get sorted out re filming the talks - will keep you posted

You probably wouldn't know if he was a Communist unless it came up specifically.

It's not really important, but the person involved is a she not a he and is the headmistress of a primary school,along with quite a few other teachers from the school, most of which come from the BBL area itself and like a lot of people who get involved with IWCA projects, have no existing/prior political connections/allegiances etc..

The connection with the IWCA came about as she had approached the IWCA Athletics Club to help organise her school's 'Pegasus Olympics'

It's not really important, but the person involved is a she not a he and is the headmistress of a primary school,along with quite a few other teachers from the school, most of which come from the BBL area itself and like a lot of people who get involved with IWCA projects, have no existing/prior political connections/allegiances etc..

The connection with the IWCA came about as she had approached the IWCA Athletics Club to help organise her school's 'Pegasus Olympics'

"We are very proud to be working alongside staff and parents to organise the ‘Pegasus Olympics’ a free, all day bonanza of sport to be held in and around Pegasus School - at the heart of Blackbird Leys, on Saturday 7th July 2012. The IWCA Athletics Club has been asked to coordinate the running events for the day and as such, at the suggestion of Paul Brackett, we will be resurrecting the ‘Blackbird Leys Mile’ a race around Blackbird Leys Park, but this time for the primary school children across the estate."

Brilliant stuff, this type of engagement should be bread and butter for the left but isn't.

"We are very proud to be working alongside staff and parents to organise the ‘Pegasus Olympics’ a free, all day bonanza of sport to be held in and around Pegasus School - at the heart of Blackbird Leys, on Saturday 7th July 2012. The IWCA Athletics Club has been asked to coordinate the running events for the day and as such, at the suggestion of Paul Brackett, we will be resurrecting the ‘Blackbird Leys Mile’ a race around Blackbird Leys Park, but this time for the primary school children across the estate."

Brilliant stuff, this type of engagement should be bread and butter for the left but isn't.

Agreed Smokeandsteam; the About the IWCA link is well worth a read.

Also I might have to send off for an IWCA running top if I do the Ridgeway Challenge again this year.

Congratulations to Stuart and all involved in 12 years of sustained hard work and good luck for the future.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Back
Top Bottom