Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Russell Brand: rape and sexual abuse allegations, grifting and general dodginess - discussion

Well, this is def weird.

Interesting choice of religion, not at the top of the cool charts in Islington these days.

What a cynical shit he is. Just when it looked as if he couldn't sink any lower than raping young girls, he now thinks 'turning to christ' will rehabilitate him.

The shame of it is, it probably will in many people's eyes.
isn't christianity famous as the religion of choice for abusers in this country? not to mention around the world - the scandals in roman catholicism over the past 30 years or more and so on

isn't christianity famous as the religion of choice for abusers in this country? not to mention around the world - the scandals in roman catholicism over the past 30 years or more and so on

Because 'your sins can be forgiven' if you confess and repent, which I expect is very appealing to anyone who feels their own shameful behaviour needs forgiving.

If he kept it private and fucked off to church never to be heard of again, I'd be inclined to believe him too. But this will be a very public 'journey', which suggests its not about personal repentance but about rehabilitating his public image, and I can only hope it fails miserably.

I expect that's a vain hope though.

i don't think any have enabled it in this country to the extent that christianity has

You did write ‘and round the world’ but it’s just a numbers game innit. The reason Christianity enables more abuse here than other religions do is just because there are more Christian churches and schools here.

You did write ‘and round the world’ but it’s just a numbers game innit. The reason Christianity enables more abuse here than other religions do is just because there are more Christian churches and schools here.
not really. some make a great effort to have an impact way out of proportion to the number of their adherents - uckg for example.

Reactions: tim
not really. some make a great effort to have an impact way out of proportion to the number of their adherents - uckg for example.
Don’t get me wrong, this is no way a defence of the followers of the nailed god, more a reminder of the propensity of all organised religions to enable noncery. It seems quite likely that a fair few of the the non-organised ones get up to it to…

Back
Top Bottom