Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ruddy Yurts RIP

Ooh! I wonder if they'll make it as far as Edinburgh? Probably nailed on for Latitude, that should be a shock for the punters.
I loved Hughes' Acid Jazz album Fingers in the Jam a couple of years back. Have you got heard that existentialist?

Ooh! I wonder if they'll make it as far as Edinburgh? Probably nailed on for Latitude, that should be a shock for the punters.
I loved Hughes' Acid Jazz album Fingers in the Jam a couple of years back. Have you got heard that existentialist?
I quite enjoyed Marmalade Hughes' first album, "Orange Peel", and "Live in Seville" was OK, if a little rough around the edges. But, TBH, by the time of "Fingers in the Jam", I think he was trading on his name somewhat :hmm:

I quite enjoyed Marmalade Hughes' first album, "Orange Peel", and "Live in Seville" was OK, if a little rough around the edges. But, TBH, by the time of "Fingers in the Jam", I think he was trading on his name somewhat :hmm:

I can't listen to "Live in Seville" without thinking about that thing with the "Robertsons" backup dancers - it would have been a low point for a lot of other artists, but we all know it was a while longer before Hughes got the lid back on the jar, so to speak.

I can't listen to "Live in Seville" without thinking about that thing with the "Robertsons" backup dancers - it would have been a low point for a lot of other artists, but we all know it was a while longer before Hughes got the lid back on the jar, so to speak.
Aye then there were to rumours about the snare drummer Gela 'Tiny' Pectin floating around in the mix in those days too. I've got the rare lemon curd vinyl of 'Live in Seville' with the infamous free 7" Kilner Wax Disc inside featuring Sugar Therm playing the Wide Necked Funnel.

It gets some airplay on Andorran Forces Radio which I can pick up under certain atmospheric conditions. The one DJ, presenter, station manager and only very occasional cleaner Jordi 'Hepcat' Hernandez is given free rein by the Andorran defence minister,
His Excellency Jordi Hernandez, to play whatever the Andorran Forces, Major-General Jordi 'No Surrender' Hernandez, likes hearing.

Don't worry. He's still with us
Amazing that there have been so few rumours that this is true on a more physical plane.

I suppose the sheer number of people who witnessed his highly unorthodox but so very Ruddyesque passing makes Yurts sightings less likely. Coincidentally, Elvis also died on the lav, but not in front of a worldwide live TV audience.

Of course Ruddy was trying to get a high F out of an Armitage-Shanks Sandringham with an oboe reed connected to the inflow, which everybody knows is virtually impossible. Wrong wind instrument and wrong sanitary-ware manufacturer for a start.

But that was Ruddy all over, in so many ways.

Lovely to see the Danish-Chinese jazz-funk piccolo player Jarring Ping feature prominently in tonight's late night prom. Many of us will remember his session work on Ruddy's early 00s albums, described by several critics as 'well above the standard required by his contract'.

Lovely to see the Danish-Chinese jazz-funk piccolo player Jarring Ping feature prominently in tonight's late night prom. Many of us will remember his session work on Ruddy's early 00s albums, described by several critics as 'well above the standard required by his contract'.
Amusingly, he was known to get quite disproportionately outraged if the "å" in his first name was written without its little circle, leading one venue to have to hand-amend 3000 programmes to overcome a threatened refusal to play.

As is traditional for a Wednesday night, I was dozing off listening to Jazzimuth on my digital wireless, when I was startled awake with the news that influential Czech record label Sopka are officially releasing Ruddy's hard to find 1986 bootleg Iconoclastic Flow on CD and 10 inch mustard-coloured vinyl. Notorious for its baffling, experimental and often atonal improvisations, Flow is arguably for completists only, but this new release is notable for two things:

1) Using 21st Century wizardry, Sopka have almost completely removed the heckling, hoots of derision, and arguments from the mix between and indeed during songs, leaving listeners able to "enjoy" pieces such as the playful Crack A Toe A Kid and the vaguely unsettling (Visions of) Divergent Plate Boundaries Parts 1-14 unhindered by an irritated audience

2) This remastered pressing of Flow includes a track absent from the bootleg after the original recorder, infamous Brno electric marimbist Stan Červený, turned over the C120 he'd taped the concert on and found another piece, Eruption in 13/8, which is described as "a nausea-inducing maelstrom of honks you can't tap along to easily" by Červený himself.

I don't think I'm alone in being moderately interested in this upcoming release.

As is traditional for a Wednesday night, I was dozing off listening to Jazzimuth on my digital wireless, when I was startled awake with the news that influential Czech record label Sopka are officially releasing Ruddy's hard to find 1986 bootleg Iconoclastic Flow on CD and 10 inch mustard-coloured vinyl. Notorious for its baffling, experimental and often atonal improvisations, Flow is arguably for completists only, but this new release is notable for two things:

1) Using 21st Century wizardry, Sopka have almost completely removed the heckling, hoots of derision, and arguments from the mix between and indeed during songs, leaving listeners able to "enjoy" pieces such as the playful Crack A Toe A Kid and the vaguely unsettling (Visions of) Divergent Plate Boundaries Parts 1-14 unhindered by an irritated audience

2) This remastered pressing of Flow includes a track absent from the bootleg after the original recorder, infamous Brno electric marimbist Stan Červený, turned over the C120 he'd taped the concert on and found another piece, Eruption in 13/8, which is described as "a nausea-inducing maelstrom of honks you can't tap along to easily" by Červený himself.

I don't think I'm alone in being moderately interested in this upcoming release.

I'll probably buy it (price depending). If only because I've got pretty much every other official release (excluding the later stuff from the Hungarian side-project). But, honestly, having heard the bootleg before, I can't imagine myself listening to it much. For me, it represents the point at which Ruddy's hubris led him astray; he went from not caring what thre audience thought (to plough his own creative furrow), to seemingly delighting in antagonising them. I think I'm right in saying that coincided some of his other particularly self- sabotaging behaviour around substance abuse. Thankfully (largely down to his collaboration with Bill Fong) he turned things around, coming back with an absolute classic record in 'It Yurts But I Like It'.

I'm not sure I approve. That's messing with history. The audience jibes are now part of the work for me, and provide continued impetuous for that stubborn relentless drone.
Besides which some are quite witty. 'Flatulent death rattle!' heard clearly between Divergent 8 and Divergent 9 is a personal favourite.

I'm torn. I have long felt that the audience reaction was, at times, so violent and vituperative that it overshadowed the music, making it difficult to really appreciate the complex tonalities at work...but alsoknownas is right - I can't imagine listening to the music without the audience input. I'm not a RY completist, really - for me, it really is about the music - so I'll probably be passing on this release. However, I am encouraged that there is still sufficient interest in Yurts' oeuvre that record companies are going to the trouble of doing this kind of thing. Long may it continue.

Back
Top Bottom