Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ruddy Yurts RIP

I was bidding on a vinyl copy of Donut vol.3 on ebay; I didn't win but yesterday I was contacted by the seller offering me a CD version of The Mirror'd Maze. The seller seemed to think that this was a perfectly ordinary thing to be selling so I tried to subtly find out a bit more about the album but I couldn't tell whether they believed it is a real thing or whether it's just a scam.

For those who don't know the story, it starts back in 1983 when Ruddy wanted to 'build bridges' with the Argentine community by releasing an ill-advised tango album, for which we actually tried to learn the bandoneon. For tax purposes he couldn't release the album under his own name, so he invented the character Yurda Rubiᶍon, supposedly an Argentine Yurts impersonator, but of course it was just Ruddy himself, photographed for the cover with a huge false moustache, worn over his own real moustache.

The album was actually a modest success, with sales reaching triple figures, and that should have been the end of it, but in 1989 the young British artist Jago Clench created a show (part of his graduation show at Goldsmiths) based around a fictional collaboration between Yurts and Rubiᶍon, called The Mirror'd Maze. The show consisted of album artwork, track listings, reviews and publicity material, and even photos of supposed gigs, with Clench himself playing the parts of both musicians. Years later there were rumours that Yurts was so impressed with the show that he actually recorded an album matching the made-up track listing and presented it to Clench. No actual music has ever emerged, and Clench always swore right up to his death that he had never even met Ruddy in person.

So what I'm wondering is, what is the ebay seller trying to flog? Is it, as I first thought, a scam? Is there someone who doesn't realise that the whole album was made up? Or is it a clever joke? Or, could it really be the work of Ruddy dueting with himself as Rubiᶍon?

Thoughts?

I'm considering a quarantine listen-along of as much of Ruddy's complete works as I can assemble. What's the best way to co-ordinate this?

I'm considering a quarantine listen-along of as much of Ruddy's complete works as I can assemble. What's the best way to co-ordinate this?
Usenet newsgroup, TBF :hmm:. Or the dark web. Last time I tried something like this, I got banned from every online collaboration tool I'd ever heard of, and then a few.

Kind of pleased Ruddy isn't alive to face this Coronavirus tbh. His famously compromised immune system worked in his favour musically - all that excess phlegm adding the trademark husky playing style - but it would make him a prime target right now.

Something called 'The New Yurts Octet' is advertising some socially distanced gigs in Penge. As best I can tell it features five former Octet members (very few of whom appeared in the same line-up though), plus Jimmy 'Hayfield' Reeks (formerly of The Almonds) standing in for Ruddy on the bassoon. I don't think I'll bother.

Observing a moment's reflective silence as we mark the sixth anniversary of Ruddy Yurts' alleged demise...
Word among yurts conspiracists is ry was going to return this year on the vernal equinox in the Auvergne. But he caught the virus and really died. Pictures said to be his corpse are circulating which could be yurts. Or hundreds of other people.

Very sorry to have to report that Nutty Overtones has been diagnosed with fourth stage Tennis Elbow. He may never play the electric cello again.

Very sorry to have to report that Nutty Overtones has been diagnosed with fourth stage Tennis Elbow. He may never play the electric cello again.
Some might argue as to the magnitude of this loss :hmm:, although I believe he is in talks with an instrument maker with a view to developing a one-handed 'cello.

Some might argue as to the magnitude of this loss :hmm:, although I believe he is in talks with an instrument maker with a view to developing a one-handed 'cello.
It's about time. I don't think anyone will forget that solo he insisted on playing with his teeth. Least of all his dentist.

Back
Top Bottom