Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ruddy Yurts RIP

Yes, but in apartheid era rand notes he'd had squirreled away since that disgraceful tour he did under an assumed name. As if we didn't all know who Buddy Yertz was.

On some more obscure forums the argument over whether "Roedig Jyurts" was performing some of the finest Afrikaans-language scat singing ever heard or drunkenly mocking a Dutchman continues to this day.

I hadn't heard that but it makes some sense. I remember he completely mispronounced Enrico Pieranunzi's name when he introduced him at the ill-fated Canvey Island Jazz-Off in 2004.
And Pieranunzi returned the compliment by referring to him as "Fucking Tents" for the rest of the festival...

And Pieranunzi returned the compliment by referring to him as "Fucking Tents" for the rest of the festival...

Sorry, you've misread my post, or I've made unclear use of pronouns.

It was Tee Golfetti who introduced Pieranunzi with a suspiciously poor Italian accent, not Yurts. Ruddy himself of course spoke fluent Italian with an almost flawless accent - one of his many surprising skills, especially when you find out he apparently taught himself how to speak it, in an attempt to woo and impress one of the 'Ex-Wives Club', who obviously I don't need to name. That he only found out after they married that she was actually Puerto Rican is just such a quintessentially Yurts detail, isn't it ...

Sorry, you've misread my post, or I've made unclear use of pronouns.

It was Tee Golfetti who introduced Pieranunzi with a suspiciously poor Italian accent, not Yurts. Ruddy himself of course spoke fluent Italian with an almost flawless accent - one of his many surprising skills, especially when you find out he apparently taught himself how to speak it, in an attempt to woo and impress one of the 'Ex-Wives Club', who obviously I don't need to name. That he only found out after they married that she was actually Puerto Rican is just such a quintessentially Yurts detail, isn't it ...
his accent only flawless when he was drunk tho, when he was sober it was like listening to nails scraping down a blackboard

Like a lot of non-Jazz folk I discovered Yurts through his brief excursion into dub reggae and his collaboration with Augustus Air Pianoblowman resulting in the notorious Windy Dub Fusion Studio recordings. Whilst these are probably attributable to his wayward meanderings from purest Jazz during his post Aspirin addiction years I think alongside his discredited Afrikaner EP these are some of his best post Roofless Ti-pi recordings he made.

I know a lot of his fan base don't like to talk about this era of his music as it precedes his decline into the Sash Window incident but for me this disc below is solid gold Yurts.

I had it on an old C90 but I managed to pick it up the other weekend on Record Store Day from my local vinyl outlet. It's limited to 500 pressings worldwide and the guy only got one copy in the drop but he put it the 80's music section in order to abide by the RSD rules and tipped me the wink after I'd eventually got into the store after the 35 Queen fans had been in the store scrapping over the two copies of Freddy's Boudoir Tapes that he'd received in the same drop.

I must admit, I've had it on back to back since I delicately pulled it out of it's sleeve.

Fave tracks so far are,
Bassoon Down Babylon,
Blow Fisherman Blow,
Crampton Town
and the very rare recording of
Trenchtown Double Reed Drop.

It's just music to the ears

yurts.jpg

Like a lot of non-Jazz folk I discovered Yurts through his brief excursion into dub reggae and his collaboration with Augustus Air Pianoblowman resulting in the notorious Windy Dub Fusion Studio recordings. Whilst these are probably attributable to his wayward meanderings from purest Jazz during his post Aspirin addiction years I think alongside his discredited Afrikaner EP these are some of his best post Roofless Ti-pi recordings he made.

I know a lot of his fan base don't like to talk about this era of his music as it precedes his decline into the Sash Window incident but for me this disc below is solid gold Yurts.

I had it on an old C90 but I managed to pick it up the other weekend on Record Store Day from my local vinyl outlet. It's limited to 500 pressings worldwide and the guy only got one copy in the drop but he put it the 80's music section in order to abide by the RSD rules and tipped me the wink after I'd eventually got into the store after the 35 Queen fans had been in the store scrapping over the two copies of Freddy's Boudoir Tapes that he'd received in the same drop.

I must admit, I've had it on back to back since I delicately pulled it out of it's sleeve.

Fave tracks so far are,
Bassoon Down Babylon,
Blow Fisherman Blow,
Crampton Town
and the very rare recording of
Trenchtown Double Reed Drop.

It's just music to the ears

View attachment 329963
Nice, if a bit common place. Of course a true Yurt Head knows the best way to listen to this album is on eight track; only 200 were released in two Swiss Cantons. I manged to pick up a copy in a little place I know in Istanbul.

Nice, if a bit common place. Of course a true Yurt Head knows the best way to listen to this album is on eight track; only 200 were released in two Swiss Cantons. I manged to pick up a copy in a little place I know in Istanbul.
Nuff respect audiophile :cool:

his accent only flawless when he was drunk tho, when he was sober it was like listening to nails scraping down a blackboard

Well yeah, but like most things Yurts did sober, it happened so rarely that very few people had to endure it.

Although, thinking about it, that might explain why his marriage to the aforementioned Marguerita Iglesias de las Gilipollas only lasted four months. Still not his shortest, though!

Well yeah, but like most things Yurts did sober, it happened so rarely that very few people had to endure it.

Although, thinking about it, that might explain why his marriage to the aforementioned Marguerita Iglesias de las Gilipollas only lasted four months. Still not his shortest, though!
Yeh there was the time he married the registrar by mistake

My VIP merch pack just arrived in time this morning. It's got a tie and blazer badge set, a 7'' vinyl version of Tin of Sweetcorn and a voucher for a pie at tonight's gig.

My VIP merch pack just arrived in time this morning. It's got a tie and blazer badge set, a 7'' vinyl version of Tin of Sweetcorn and a voucher for a pie at tonight's gig.
Yeah, the VIP ones differed from the ordinary packs by not including a backstage pass - well, after the carnage at the last shindig, that's not a surprise, I suppose.

Rumour has it the octet and others might show up. A lot of unresolved beefs in one room, a lot of egos. I won't be able to make it myself but I'll spin Rhapsody In Melon and raise a glass in his honour tonight anyway.

By around 9 the running order had been abandoned and there was just an unseemly procession of former Octet members, Yurts collaborators and various unaffiliated bassoonists all competing for space on the stage, with the result that there were usually at least two rival songs being played.

It reminded me of Donut volume 5 in that respect.

How many people in the audience are actually required to define it as a 'public' event?
Less than the number of Tefifon pressings of Glue Moon. (I've got two, obviously, one signed and the rarer non signed version)

Back
Top Bottom