Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ruddy Yurts RIP

As I imagine that everyone except me had already realised, today marks the 7th anniversary of this thread, and of Ruddy's alleged death/date last seen.

I, for one, will be raising a glass of Ruddy's signature absinthe/white spirit/paint thinners and coke (the powdered kind) cocktail when the sun has passed the yardarm tonight.

Settled on this for tonight's entertainment. Have also grown out my moustache in tribute.

View attachment 275115

I always felt Skeeter 'Zip' Beltway's contribution to that album was underrated. Playing two accordions at the same time might sound gimmicky but it takes real skill, and the results are really evocative of his small-town Panhandle upbringing. Anyone know the truth of why he took out an injunction to prevent Ruddy from naming him on the sleeve notes?

I always felt Skeeter 'Zip' Beltway's contribution to that album was underrated. Playing two accordions at the same time might sound gimmicky but it takes real skill, and the results are really evocative of his small-town Panhandle upbringing. Anyone know the truth of why he took out an injunction to prevent Ruddy from naming him on the sleeve notes?
I think it was Ruddy's continual and deliberate mis-spelling of his name on all the previous album covers. His sense of humour was not always (or even often) appreciated by those on the receiving end. I think that crediting him as "Zit" Bellend on "Trouble At T'Mill" was the last straw.

He also played those accordions in two different time signatures. Sometimes deliberately.

No, fell off a window ledge. Shame, he'd beaten cancer twice too.
I guess beating a fall from a window ledge is a greater challenge - I imagine gravitational acceleration leaves cancer in the weeds.

What a shame, though - I take it he wasn't trying to play his marimba on the window ledge?

Anyone going to see Joe 'Cornish' Hedge and Devon Banks this Saturday? I heard that there might be a few surprise appearances from fellow Octet veterans.

I don't suppose Fabio Golfetti's any relation to Tomaso 'Tee' Golfetti, who of course played with Yurts off and on in the early 2000s, till his flirtations with Italian fascist iconography became a little too hard to ignore?

I don't suppose Fabio Golfetti's any relation to Tomaso 'Tee' Golfetti, who of course played with Yurts off and on in the early 2000s, till his flirtations with Italian fascist iconography became a little too hard to ignore?
I was under the impression that Tee Golfetti was really Nigel Plugg (formerly of The Desk Tidies), and the whole Italian persona was just a performance art piece that got out of hand.

I was under the impression that Tee Golfetti was really Nigel Plugg (formerly of The Desk Tidies), and the whole Italian persona was just a performance art piece that got out of hand.

I hadn't heard that but it makes some sense. I remember he completely mispronounced Enrico Pieranunzi's name when he introduced him at the ill-fated Canvey Island Jazz-Off in 2004.

Back
Top Bottom