Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ruddy Yurts RIP

its a spirited defence, but ultimately youre just wrong - its all part of a score-cool-points cult-creation...the fact Fat White Family covered Smother My Reed proves my point: desperation to be in on the hipster-love fest..."oh yeah, we always loved Ruddy" bullshit
Well I'll concede that some of it does feel a bit tacked-on. When you have Haim trying to crowbar a bassoon solo in to every other song you know there's some posturing going on; but Ruddy's ingrained in the spirit of the festival - he's in the soil man.
You're conveniently overlooking the time that (so the story goes) Eavis rode a tractor all the way down to Ruddy's then Knightbridge home in the mid 80's in an attempt (unsuccessful of course) to lure him to the festival.
Or the fact (well, strongly attributed legend) that Ruddy did actually play the festival! He was spotted milling about at the back of the old Jazz Tickle tent at the '79 festival during a four hour set by Coco Monk of all people. Coco called him onto the stage, and after much coaxing from the crowd he did eventually trundle up and push out an impromptu little jam. Whole thing was quite a train wreck by all accounts as Ruddy really wasn't in any fit state to play, but that doesn't detract from the fact that many still consider that corner of the farm hallowed ground.

good story.... Whereas now its all fat white family covers....end of an era
To be honest, I'd trust Yurt's legacy with Fat White Family far more than a dozen of those so-called jazz stalwarts with their tired lacklustre covers, any day.
I'm pretty sure the man would have approved. Ok, so he wouldn't have been in favour of all that defecating on stage and whatnot, but the man was never a ( excuse the phrase) stick-in-the-mud.

I take it you haven't had to suffer through Dough Williams turgid take on 'Loose Fronds?'; or had the misfortune to be subjected to Halford Cooper's revisiting of 'Too Late for Tongues?' (It's longer than the original!!! :eek:).
Apparently (and I'm praying this is bad info) there's a Bublé in the works :facepalm:. Kill me now.
No, say what you like about the Fat Whites, but their 'Reed stirred something in me.

so here's my list of ry albums - please let me know if i've missed any

10,000 GigaYurts

blind venetian

expanse of yurts

gobble whoa woe

high rise

hydraulic system leak

kick against the pricks

kings cross angel falls

last starfighter

Love Yurts

luck of understanding

muddy yurts

Nazarine Thunder Box

pages from the red book of redmarch (volume 1)

sea changes

songs of taiga and ice

tech tonic

the nethersphere

transvaginal ultrasound

truthless for the tories

uncomradely liberal shitstain

white pill

yurts at the marquee

with ‘nail gun’

acoustic shock

10,000 GigaYurts

blind venetian

expanse of yurts

gobble whoa woe

high rise

hydraulic system leak

kick against the pricks

kings cross angel falls

last starfighter

Love Yurts

luck of understanding

muddy yurts

Nazarine Thunder Box

sea changes

songs of taiga and ice

tech tonic

the nethersphere

transvaginal ultrasound

truthless for the tories

white pill

yurts at the marquee

with ‘nail gun’

acoustic shock
I really do think it's probably time for a Ruddy Yurts Wikipedia page... :hmm:

Also, I think there may be a couple of the rarer ones missing from that list.

Heh, actually, a possibility arises. I'm supposed to be doing a festival in May, but I am getting vibes that my band aren't going to be up for it, in which case I may have to pull together a scratch band to do it instead, because I don't want to miss this opportunity. In which case, I may try to get us billed as a "Ruddy Yurts tribute band" :D

I can't help wonder if he'd have been brexit or remain. On the one hand, music was the international language he spoke. The man would play in a shack on the banks of the volga if you paid him, he worked enthusiastically with local talents and indeed fused influences. Some say you can spot where he had been touring recently album by album. I wouldn't know about that, I am not so au fait with world music but I think it was Chile that really stuck with him. We know they stuck with him! Not two nights ago I came across a spotify stream called Siempre Yurts, young men and women all tackling some of his 30 minute long greats.
But I don't think the man would have been fooled by the faux internationalism of these modern times that values military and economic co-operation over the solidarity of the international workers. I think in the end it would have rested with 'is this going to make my journey to x place more difficult'. A pragmatist in some ways, even then.

Yurts was a contradiction. I'd say he'd have been an ardent Leave supporter, if only because it would have a) defied many expectations, and b) pissed a lot of people off. And Yurts liked pissing people off.

ETA: and, although he was a pragmatist, he was also somewhat unworldly. I don't think he'd have let minor considerations like immigration and passport matters colour his views.

10,000 GigaYurts

blind venetian

expanse of yurts

gobble whoa woe

high rise

hydraulic system leak

kick against the pricks

kings cross angel falls

last starfighter

Love Yurts

luck of understanding

muddy yurts

Nazarine Thunder Box

sea changes

songs of taiga and ice

tech tonic

the nethersphere

transvaginal ultrasound

truthless for the tories

white pill

yurts at the marquee

with ‘nail gun’

acoustic shock
It depends if you want to include the albums "Snowy Owl" and "Wyvern with the Rhythm" by The Dry Rude Chip Trio, the supposedly reclusive but brilliant band who jazz-loving lexicologists have claimed is fronted by Yurts ("Dry Rude Chip" being an anagram of "Ruddy Cipher").

all three of those bands have supported ruddy yurts

existentialist Libertad

About
"Sylvester Manlove and the Cleveland Daleks"
"Ziggy Piro and the Bay City Buckaroos"
"Puffy Stardust and the Unholy Anteaters"

Would you say his influence lingers in their sound today? It's rarely acknowledged. But one hears that anyone who was in his presence was touched. Or is that scurrilous gossip?

About
"Sylvester Manlove and the Cleveland Daleks"
"Ziggy Piro and the Bay City Buckaroos"
"Puffy Stardust and the Unholy Anteaters"

Would you say his influence lingers in their sound today? It's rarely acknowledged. But one hears that anyone who was in his presence was touched. Or is that scurrilous gossip?
No, I think there was something about both the creative genius and his abilities as a performer that made him a very powerful influence. To other performers, there was an allure to his stage presence that would have been hard to resist.

Heh, actually, a possibility arises. I'm supposed to be doing a festival in May, but I am getting vibes that my band aren't going to be up for it, in which case I may have to pull together a scratch band to do it instead, because I don't want to miss this opportunity. In which case, I may try to get us billed as a "Ruddy Yurts tribute band" :D

All the regulars on this thread will expect to be invited, and to hear radical new interpretations of some of his least known material :cool:

10,000 GigaYurts

blind venetian

expanse of yurts

gobble whoa woe

high rise

hydraulic system leak

kick against the pricks

kings cross angel falls

last starfighter

Love Yurts

luck of understanding

muddy yurts

Nazarine Thunder Box

sea changes

songs of taiga and ice

tech tonic

the nethersphere

transvaginal ultrasound

truthless for the tories

white pill

yurts at the marquee

with ‘nail gun’

acoustic shock

Admirable effort, by the way, but you seem to have missed out a number of original recordings that were even mentioned on this thread.

Also notably omitted is Yurtskopf, the recording of his closing set at the Swiss National Day celebrations in 1994, when he did startling things with some of the early works of industrial band Young Gods. You'll recall that althought it was long regarded as a fine live album, it fell out of favour when it was revealed that Ruddy had prerecorded over 90% of the performance. The furore about that was unfair, I thought, given that the effects of altitude sickness on bassoon players are a matter of medical record.

All the regulars on this thread will expect to be invited, and to hear radical new interpretations of some of his least known material :cool:
I'm not sure we'll have that long on stage :( I mean, some of those more outre peregrinations went on for hours, and in one case days...

I'm not sure we'll have that long on stage :( I mean, some of those more outre peregrinations went on for hours, and in one case days...

You could deal with that the way the great man himself so often did: have a few heavies on-stage masquerading as percussion players of one sort or another, who can quietly twat anyone who tries to remove you before you're damn well ready to leave.

Back
Top Bottom