Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Ruddy Yurts RIP

he was also on a rwandan stamp which was scheduled to come out in may 1994, but almost every example was destroyed in the violence in the country - only five are now known to exist.
There's something about that in one of Adam Curtis' documentary series. He made a link between that, and big business, and the roots of the conflict itself! Can't remember how it all tied up, but it was bloody clever stuff. Cool music underneath it all too (not Ruddy, but still).

There's something about that in one of Adam Curtis' documentary series. He made a link between that, and big business, and the roots of the conflict itself! Can't remember how it all tied up, but it was bloody clever stuff. Cool music underneath it all too (not Ruddy, but still).
Didn't he have some kind of Rwandan heritage, or connection?

Didn't he have some kind of Rwandan heritage, or connection?
I don't think so. It was weirder than that. Something about the stamp manufacturing process over there using cobalt, and Yurts himself (who had of course been ripped off left right and centre by printers and publishers over the years) insisting on a denser print than usual, which in turn tipped the local mining scene into crisis; militia poured in trying to cash in, etc. Curtis managed to tie in the early expansion of IKEA, and contemporary dental practices, but I must admit that bit sort of washed over me.

And, as we approach the anniversary of Ruddy's (alleged, according to some) demise, which as ever falls on a Saturday, I wonder what events to mark his going to the Great 32 Bar Coda In The Sky posters will be participating in this weekend?

I wish people would stop going on about Ruddy Yurts. Celebrity musician x dies and people go on and on in a way they never did when musician x was alive. Where was all this adoration in 93?

I wish people would stop going on about Ruddy Yurts. Celebrity musician x dies and people go on and on in a way they never did when musician x was alive. Where was all this adoration in 93?
It was there - it just wasn't mainstream. I guess, if Yurts really had hit the big time, we'd be up to our ears in the Great Unwashed going on about how they'd known him before he was famous, yada, blerk. As it is, it's just a small band of cognoscenti and acolytes, hem hem hem banging on about him.

Perhaps his relative obscurity has encouraged that, who knows?

Unfair. Most of us on this thread are true aficionados, and were listening to him when he was still performing in that golfing outfit (for some reason) and billing himself under his full name*

*Hazmat Rudolph O'Shaunessey von Yerhertzinger, as I'm sure I don't need to remind you - a nice demonstration of his mixed ethnic heritage, but a nightmare in the days when you still had to cut-n-paste all your posters by hand...

Unfair. Most of us on this thread are true aficionados, and were listening to him when he was still performing in that golfing outfit (for some reason) and billing himself under his full name*

*Hazmat Rudolph O'Shaunessey von Yerhertzinger, as I'm sure I don't need to remind you - a nice demonstration of his mixed ethnic heritage, but a nightmare in the days when you still had to cut-n-paste all your posters by hand...
i dont know, i find this revisionist adoration in bad taste.

There should at least be some events at Glasto.
er, no there shouldnt. though i hear that in recent years since his death a tradition has emerged that at midnight on saturday people in the glamping field sing 'Under The Red Canvas'. I guess you have to be there

come on. If you had the money Yurts would have played at a secret gig for the suadi princes. Maybe even did. He may have drawn the line at Sun City but its revisionism to pretend he would not have played glastonbury. Yurts had many mouths to feed.

come on. If you had the money Yurts would have played at a secret gig for the suadi princes. Maybe even did. He may have drawn the line at Sun City but its revisionism to pretend he would not have played glastonbury. Yurts had many mouths to feed.
oh yeah, him playing it is one thing - glastonbury punters pretending to love his work now is another

I suppose that explains his talent for playing multiple bassoons at once...

I can't imagine any true fan is going to business with a digital download or a CD

more money for the Yurt's family I suppose

oh yeah, him playing it is one thing - glastonbury punters pretending to love his work now is another
This is one of those typical 'I know Glastonbury better than those who actually go' type bores. For your information there's been a Yurts-inspired micro-venue in Shangri-La for the past five festivals (you need to wear centre-creased trousers to get in); Fat White Family did an unforgettable cover of Smother My Reed a few years ago, which I was lucky enough to stumble across; and on the Pyramid stage, no-one can deny that the Rolling Stones spent a large part of their 2013 set trying (unsuccessfully for the most part) to ape his legendary playing style and stage presence.
While the man may be gone, his legacy is alive and kicking at Glasto, as witnessed by the stench of (sadly cheap imitation) Hog's Hair tobacco all up around the Stone Circle.

This is one of those typical 'I know Glastonbury better than those who actually go' type bores. For your information there's been a Yurts-inspired micro-venue in Shangri-La for the past five festivals (you need to wear centre-creased trousers to get in); Fat White Family did an unforgettable cover of Smother My Reed a few years ago, which I was lucky enough to stumble across; and on the Pyramid stage, no-one can deny that the Rolling Stones spent a large part of their 2013 set trying (unsuccessfully for the most part) to ape his legendary playing style and stage presence.
While the man may be gone, his legacy is alive and kicking at Glasto, as witnessed by the stench of (sadly cheap imitation) Hog's Hair tobacco all up around the Stone Circle.

its a spirited defence, but ultimately youre just wrong - its all part of a score-cool-points cult-creation...the fact Fat White Family covered Smother My Reed proves my point: desperation to be in on the hipster-love fest..."oh yeah, we always loved Ruddy" bullshit

Back
Top Bottom