Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rowies, Butteries, Aberdeen Rolls, fa loves um?

Dae ye nae jist love the Roll fae Aberdeen?

• Shuch aye!

Votes: 32 69.6%
  • Nae bad.

Votes: 7 15.2%
  • Ye wise loon?

Votes: 4 8.7%
  • tatties oer the side

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters
Depends on the individual rowie - Some are far greasier than others, some are also sold well-fired/crispy but others less-so.

Quality of their rowies was one of the tests of a baker here and each bakery producing them used to take some pride in having their own variant on the basic recipe.

The Crathie baker goes from strength to strength. They have a small cafe now and do some superb bake-based dishes.

But being Hogmanay, short staffed and trying to get some time-off in January, they have a simpler, "hangover" menu in place - and here's their breakfast rowie:

49601094.c7cb3eca.2048.jpg

Which is one of their superb rowies, with cheese, black pudding, tomato, fried egg and mushrooms.
To which I added a side order of their excellent local bacon.

Set me right-up for the day it did..! :D

Naturally, I took a bag of rowies home with me as well.

They do a “rowie of the month” in different flavours every month - the best do enter their regular lines though.

They also do a Banffshire Buttery - which is a Rowie with a slightly different recipe. Also delicious.

Essential clothing for the discerning Rowie-eater from a local skate shop:

I was in the Cathie Baker for the first time since lockdown hit a few weeks back.

They we’re so pleased to see us, back that we left with a big bag of their excellent rowies and a selection of other baked goods, given for free. I took most of the rowies!

:)

Last edited:
Can one of yous do a vocaroo thing of the correct pronunciation of rowie please? I've been having to call them butteries IRL coz I'm not totally sure what to do with the first vowel :oops:

Can one of yous do a vocaroo thing of the correct pronunciation of rowie please? I've been having to call them butteries IRL coz I'm not totally sure what to do with the first vowel :oops:
This is their full name.

“I’ll hae six of your…”

I know pogofish won’t approve of a vegetarian rowie, but I do. 👍

No, one of the veggie rowie brands is actually pretty good, not as greasy as some "normal" rowies can be. Not tried all of them though - Most of the bigger rowie producers now offer them.

Don't know how well they would keep on a boat though - the true test of a real rowie! :D

Last edited:
Off topic: the light on the north east Aberdeenshire coast was incredible. Never been there before and I felt high after a few days of spring sunshine

We feel the same, its been a long, cold, grey winter..!

Although it has been a particularly good winter for Aurora displays along the north NE coast.

Recently discovered that you can buy the JG Ross rowies - which tbh are better than all the Orcadian versions I've tried - in the Tesco's in town. Imagine my disappointment when I went in yesterday to find that bit of shelf empty, but the shelf next to it full of their own in-store bakery bags with the word "buttery" emblazoned across the front of them on massive eye-catching writing - only to find out they contained croissants :mad:

In happier news, I'll be in Aberdeen next month and I plan to phone ahead to place a massive order to bring back with me :thumbs: Last time I ended up in Thain's Bakery after getting off the early ferry cold and hungry. Their rowies were great, especially the one I had inside a bacon roll, but open to suggestions if anyone thinks somewhere else does much better? (Needs to be relatively central as I'll be on foot/public transport and dragging my ageing mother along on the mission)

Back
Top Bottom