Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rojava Kurdistan, Murray Bookchin and regional Kurdish politics

Yep - the SOAS one was arranged whilst there was still a ban @ UCL.

The UCLU reckons (due to the attention from their ban!) the event will be oversubscribed and have thus said it's for UCL members only - not that I would ever say this, but I've never encountered a problem with non-UCL people getting into similar UCL only events!

Reactions: LDC
oh, and sensible people in the UCLU have won out. This from the president of the Kurdish soc.

UCLU have officially passed a motion calling for the support of democratic forces, namely the Kurds, fighting to defend and liberate themselves against ISIS. Along with the removal of obstructions by our governments, to raise money for humanitarian and refugee aid, for the legalisation of the PKK, for the release of Shilan Ozcilek, and to open the UK and Europe's borders to refugees

Macer Gifford is obviously quite bright and articulate and I like hearing him talk, but fuck me his politics are a bit all over the shop! Be interested to him him clarify his ideas a bit.

Macer Gifford is obviously quite bright and articulate and I like hearing him talk, but fuck me his politics are a bit all over the shop! Be interested to him him clarify his ideas a bit.

oh completely! Former city boy and Tory councillor!

Very much like Jordan Matson who comes out with some weird stuff, he posted a rant about people who are against the Confederate flag which you wouldn't think would be the first thing on his mind at the moment. I'm not going to slag them off though, they are actually willing to go there and fight, defending the Kurds against ISIS, they deserve a lot of leeway to come out with silly stuff

Video of an offensive from the YPG/J from start to finish, thought it was interesting - fun music too

WTF?

Soldier who went to fight Isis in Syria arrested in Manchester

A former soldier who went to Syria to fight against Islamic State has been arrested at Manchester airport on suspicion of terrorism offences.

Joe Robinson, 22, from Accrington, Lancashire, spent months in Syria with Kurdish rebels, after going on the run from UK police.

A bench warrant had been issued for his arrest in July 2015 after he failed to appear at Burnley crown court accused of breaching a court order.

He told the Lancashire Telegraph that he expected to be met by police when he arrived back on the easyJet flight for breaching a suspended sentence.

In August 2014 he pleaded guilty to a wounding offence after breaking a man’s jaw and received the 12-month jail term suspended for 24 months.

Greater Manchester police confirmed that a 22-year-old man from Lancashire was arrested on Thursday by officers from the North West Counter Terrorism Unit under section five of the Terrorism Act.

A spokesman for Greater Manchester police (GMP) said: “A man from Lancashire has been arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences. He has been taken into police custody for questioning.” An investigation into the matter is continuing.

Why is he being charged with terrorism offences when others haven't? Is it just because he went to fight while on the run so they are doing the usual 'charge him with everything we can and we'll see what sticks'?

WTF?

Soldier who went to fight Isis in Syria arrested in Manchester

Why is he being charged with terrorism offences when others haven't? Is it just because he went to fight while on the run so they are doing the usual 'charge him with everything we can and we'll see what sticks'?

Calm down everyone. Has he been charged? The article just says arrested under, which is nowt really. I suspect the issues is as much he breached a suspended sentence tbh.

I hope he has a good lawyer for the questioning.

Last edited:
A Dream of Secular Utopia in ISIS’ Backyard

In May, I saw an announcement on Facebook for the Mesopotamian Social Sciences Academy, a new, coed university in Rojava’s de facto capital, Qamishli. This in itself was revolutionary. For years, Bashar al-Assad and his father, Hafez, forbade many Syrian Kurds to study. In ISIS territory just 15 miles away, Kurdish girls were routinely tortured for being Westernized heretics — sometimes tied by their ponytails to car bumpers and dragged to their deaths. In Rojava, they were being educated.

When I sent a message to the academy’s Facebook page, requesting more information, I received a reply from Yasin Duman, a Kurdish graduate student living in Turkey. He had taught several courses there, he said, and when he found out I was a writer and professor in New York, we discussed a journalism class. Duman explained that Rojava’s youth had little experience with the idea of free speech. Perhaps I could teach them: ‘‘A free people has to have freedom of speech,’’ he said. It would be a cultural exchange. I would teach writing, and my students would show me what life was like in Rojava. We decided that I would spend a week in July giving a crash course in journalism basics: how to report, how to interview and how to document the war raging around them.

Now, after three months and at least as many logistical hiccups, I was about to see this strange political experiment for myself. The official led us out of the office and onto a ramshackle skiff. We were technically entering a failed state. Yet when we came ashore on the other side of the river and passed a brick guard tower staffed with armed men, I saw a red, green and yellow tricolor banner — the flag of Rojava.

Back
Top Bottom