Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Religion - Great!

The Brahma Kumaris are now renting a room in the business centre just opposite my local Tescos, so i went to have a look few months ago, check out their opening gambit for attracting new members.
One of the most awkward hours of my life that was, which is saying something.
They played this science video, to show how positive thoughts make water crystals look all pretty whilst negative thoughts make the water have no crystals at all, or something. I was the only person in the room who seemed to be unconvinced by this, and everybody felt sorry for me and encouraged me to come back next week.

Point to your Nimbus "Firebolt" proped against the wall and say you have just been appointed as the new captain of the Hogwarts Griffendor Quidditch team

An important (in terms of how modern neo-paganism turned out) Californian, eco-feminist, often separatist, Wicca variant. Dianic Tradition

Arguably also a distinct but closely related and even more influential strand of eco-feminist neo-paganism due to Starhawk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Nowadays there's a tendency to assume that all Wiccans are leftish eco-feminists, but that wasn't at all the case IMO with the initial British version ...

Gerald Gardner, the guy who came up with the Wiccan origin myth (although he nicked most of it from Jane Harrison, Margaret Murray and Robert Graves) was a Telegraph-reading member of his local conservative association - Gerald Gardner (Wiccan) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And a bit from Uncle Al, via Doreen Valiente.

ETA - There's potentially quite an interesting thread to be had on the subject of political tendencies within neo-paganism, a growing number of which lean far right.

Quite a lot of far-right ideology having been imported from The Odinic Rite and other Asatruar, although there's a bit of a weird Celto-Pagan strand going on too - the whole "the Celts are the true natives of Britain" schtick.

Yeah, there seem to be two distinct far-right neo-pagan tendencies.

In the US, you've got mainly various flavours of Odinism taking over from Christian Identity as the woo-du-jour of the racist right.

See e.g. this slightly ancient SPLC account Swedish Academic Mattias Gardell Discusses the Rise of Neo-Paganism in America

There's a lot of cross-fertilisation of that stuff with conspiraloonery, as we've seen ...

Then in Europe you've got some related stuff, plus all the more obviously elitist and intellectual neo-paganism the flows from Guenon and Evola into the Nouvelle Droite, GRECE and from them into more boneheaded stuff like Identitarian movements.

See e.g. the sources linked here: Traditionalist School - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom