Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Reflections, one year on.

Survived the last year without getting ill, and not having had someone close die, that's a good baseline.

Beginning of last year I was working in an acute department at a hospital when covid started off. (Wrote a longer bit here on that but have deleted it. Short version is that was a stressful 2-3 months as felt like the pandemic wasn't being taken at all seriously at first, and in some ways it was a relief when it did get bad here and things started changing re: lockdown.) I then moved jobs at the end of April (was planned already rather than being a pandemic related choice) to a very different area of medicine which has proved to low risk and relatively easy compared to some, so feel very thankful for that. Partner has been working from home (NHS clinical in another area) which has been nice; it's meant we have lunches together, more time to chat, later morning starts, etc. She goes into the office 2 days a week now which feels like a good mix, and she's hoping it can stay like that.

Home has been great tbh, even though it's a tiny terraced house with no real outside space which could have easily been a nightmare. The other 2 here (partner and a foster teenager) have been very good with following restrictions, and I feel grateful for them both being easy to live with and it's been really enjoyable in many ways (aside the general mess of it all outside in the world). I'm not an extrovert or super-social so haven't missed much really, although I am now really looking forward to some of the stuff like visiting other cities to see friends and even parties and going out for dinner. Exercise is my main way of relaxing/de-stressing and that's been possible all the last year, I ran lots for a few months and managed to buy some kettlebells that have been using in the kitchen or small yard when the weather is good, and actually have probably trained more consistently than I have for a very long time.

Bad things have been the area. First lockdown was quite out of control here. Racing cars and gangs of lads causing issues, which while a problem normally, escalated significantly to the point where the police were here every few days going into a house or trying to stop it. It's a few houses in a small area that drugs get dealt from and it attracts other lads who all seem to think they're in The Wire or something. Plenty of families have moved recently, and we'll be joining them later this year as we're out of here - for a few reasons, but that's given us the main impetus.

Both my parents died before all this started, one about 6 years ago and one in mid-2019, which weirdly I feel relieved about during the pandemic. Both would have been vulnerable, and both lived a long way away (separately) which would have been really hard to manage. My brother is extremely clinically vulnerable, but he's been (mostly) careful and has now had his vaccine and hopefully will be OK, so family has been not a stress for me. Have been doing family Zooms with all my cousins and surviving aunts and uncles (all from one side of the wider family) which has been lovely tbh, I hope to be closer and more in touch to that bit of my family from this.

Other less serious things are I have read a lot, watched copious amounts of mostly shit TV, attended too many Zoom meeting and discussions, been on here a fuck tonne. Not been out for walks or into the country enough. Started a Capital reading group in January last year that moved to Zoom pretty much straight away and has somehow kept going. Only now just started learning French after it being on my to-do list when this all started. Maybe drunk slightly too much alcohol, although did dry January, so maybe there's some ying/yang balance in there or something.

Very early on I enjoyed some of the changes tbh, and had hopes that good bits might remain post-pandemic. I feel less optimistic now, and sometimes feel a bit misanthropic about it all, especially when I come across covid-deniers or people that seem to be selfish about things like the restrictions etc.

Oh, and feel grateful to be on here, cheers everyone! OK, that's enough gushing.

Last edited:
Survived the last year without getting ill, and not having had someone close die, that's a good baseline.

Beginning of last year I was working in an acute department at a hospital when covid started off. (Wrote a longer bit here on that but have deleted it. Short version is that was a stressful 2-3 months as felt like the pandemic wasn't being taken at all seriously at first, and in some ways it was a relief when it did get bad here and things started changing re: lockdown.) I then moved jobs at the end of April (was planned already rather than being a pandemic related choice) to a very different area of medicine which has proved to low risk and relatively easy compared to some, so feel very thankful for that. Partner has been working from home (NHS clinical in another area) which has been nice; it's meant we have lunches together, more time to chat, later morning starts, etc. She goes into the office 2 days a week now which feels like a good mix, and she's hoping it can stay like that.

Home has been great tbh, even though it's a tiny terraced house with no real outside space which could have easily been a nightmare. The other 2 here (partner and a foster teenager) have been very good with following restrictions, and I feel grateful for them both being easy to live with and it's been really enjoyable in many ways (aside the general mess of it all outside in the world). I'm not an extrovert or super-social so haven't missed much really, although I am now really looking forward to some of the stuff like visiting other cities to see friends and even parties and going out for dinner. Exercise is my main way of relaxing/de-stressing and that's been possible all the last year, I ran lots for a few months and managed to buy some kettlebells that have been using in the kitchen or small yard when the weather is good, and actually have probably trained more consistently than I have for a very long time.

Bad things have been the area. First lockdown was quite out of control here. Racing cars and gangs of lads causing issues, which while a problem normally, escalated significantly to the point where the police were here every few days going into a house or trying to stop it. It's a few houses in a small area that drugs get dealt from and it attracts other lads who all seem to think they're in The Wire or something. Plenty of families have moved recently, and we'll be joining them later this year as we're out of here - for a few reasons, but that's given us the main impetus.

Both my parents died before all this started, one about 6 years ago and one in mid-2019, which weirdly I feel relieved about during the pandemic. Both would have been vulnerable, and both lived a long way away (separately) which would have been really hard to manage. My brother is extremely clinically vulnerable, but he's been (mostly) careful and has now had his vaccine and hopefully will be OK, so family has been not a stress for me.

Other less serious things are I have read a lot, watched copious amounts of mostly shit TV, attended too many Zoom meeting and discussions, been on here a fuck tonne. Not been out for walks or into the country enough. Started a Capital reading group in January last year that moved to Zoom pretty much straight away and has somehow kept going. Only now just started learning French after it being on my to-do list when this all started. Maybe drunk slightly too much alcohol, although did dry January, so maybe there's some ying/yang balance in there or something.

Very early on I enjoyed some of the changes tbh, and had hopes that good bits might remain post-pandemic. I feel less optimistic now, and sometimes feel a bit misanthropic about it all, especially when I come across covid-deniers or people that seem to be selfish about things like the restrictions etc.

Oh, and feel grateful to be on here, cheers everyone! OK, that's enough gushing.
I’ll put in a good word for Meanwood!

• Love
Reactions: LDC
Not reflecting on anything yet as we're still in it IMO. I won't be looking back until it's possible to stand at a bar for a drink, without first having booked or shown some kind of certificate.

Simple things but that would be my marker of we're out of this.

I kind of feel its abit like being half-dead for a year... that's slightly dramatic. But i haven't seen any family members or some of my best mates for over a year now. Other crap has happened in the year, which compounds the overriding sense of not taking anything for granted.

On a lighter note, life goes on, and the cat is well.

I have found it hard at times. I was totally isolated before lockdown one cos chemo and radio and that. Then I was really upset at my recovery not being linear.

Then months of not a lot of contact. I moved in with my partner last August. A big risk for my health as partner is a nurse and works with the manky. I had to though, I was developing weird behaviours.

My mental health took a dive recently. I have a lot of post cancer pain and don’t get treatment cos Covid, thankfully this has changed now. A mate got no scans then news he is stage four. Not good.

Upsides include really enjoying living with my partner. Making the space special for us and visitors.

Still, like everyone, I miss my family and friends and worry about atrophy in relationships.

Got an email today from Hatt Mancock. Shielding is done with on the 31st March 2021. I will probably cry a bit that day then crack on.

I found some positives from lockdown; the incredible way my family dug in and supported each other, improvements to ways of working that I'm hoping will be permanent, stuff like that.

There were anxious moments, times when I could see people lashing out at each other when they should've been doing the opposite, shit like that.

It was fucking beautiful down here in the Spring with no people though. I doubt I'll ever see this again. I'll try and keep this as my main memory of this weird time:

20210318_210339.jpg

It’s been a rollercoaster. I’m pretty knackered (brain tired) now tbh.
For me it began when I’d been working with a client at her house in NW1, we were at the handgel, toilet paper shortage and handwashing stage of the pandemic. Left her house, went into a Waitrose on the Finchley Road and it was like the end of the world in there. Shelves stripped bare, crowds of panicking people, WTF. Came home, announced to El Jugs, ‘thats it! No more meetings, I’m staying in!’ Then a text from a friend who lived in N1. It had gone all zombie apocalypse. ‘Could she come and lockdown with us?’ Yes of course. So the first 3 months of lockdown was ace. I had my friends here with me and I learned to grow food. My neighbour got a side gig as an emergency zookeeper but she never managed to smuggle any animals out of there for us. Every week we did an epic five hour supermarket/Costco trip (because of the queuing) and bought food not only for us but for our neighbours and the food bank. In June lockdown lifted and about a dozen of us liveaboards on boats left London. We went to the Midlands where I got my central heating fixed, then onto the Thames. We came back end September, most of our friends never came back, two are in Wales, several more in Cheshire, some in Oxford. It was epic. Finally got to my parents in October and I could see the effect lockdown had had. Dad shrinking before my eyes. We took them on holiday and I returned to London. then dad fell just at the start of the November lockdown so I went up there and didn’t return to London until about 8 December. Was gonna go back there for Christmas but it didn’t make any sense. Dad fell again end January and I went back and spent another whole month (February) there. That was tough. Really tough. Dark, shit, wet days, no glorious first lockdown weather. Stressed out trying to work and help my parents. I only came back because I had a vaccine appointment invitation. Honestly the only thing that kept me together October to now is starting and maintaining a yoga practise, using an app. I’m well aware that that sounds wanky, it’s only taken me several years to get started though! So where am I now? My mental health is fragile, my ADHD has been off the scale because I am brain bored. My physical health is ok - menopausal, which is FUN, I’m also practically teetotal, but I’m tired, really tired, stressed and very bored! Far too much work on, (guess I should be grateful!) several big bills to pay. The plan is to temporarily relocate our boat home to Yorks because I don’t want to be this far away from my family. So yeah, the pandemic has changed things for us. Without a doubt.

Last edited:
Feel quite mixed about thingsHad a whole extra year with my daughter she is in her fourth year and will be off to China once they are letting people in. Feel bad about that as she missed out on all of those university experience, but she’s done lots of other things instead. Closer to my son as well from all the extra evenings and meals.

have saved money through not traveling.

But have missed parents and friends in person. Used to see my parents weekly and probably seen them half a dozen times over the year.

lost two friends my age ( one Covid related and one not)

all of these things and more mean I’m retiring properly a year early in May.

Last edited:
I don't know how to talk about the last twelve months without sounding melodramatic, really. :D

I did 14 days quarantine locked in a hotel room all alone this time last year. While I was in there, the UK went into lockdown and the border here closed. I was sealed in a tiny room watching online as the world fell apart. Really, I don't think I've got over that, mentally. I didn't expect the whole thing to be so hard, and so chillingly apocalyptic.

I've just moved jobs and cities, and that's actually helped a lot. I was basically just sitting amongst the ruins of my life before that. Now I'm somewhere new, there's no pre-pandemic to compare it to and that really is making it easier. I feel happier here, like I turned a page.

It still all doesn't feel real though. It's impossible to process, for me. I do cry about it less now. I read less news about it too, which probably helps.

Past year has been a very mixed bag, with loads of problems and stress but also much pleasanter things mixed in.

OH & I own our house, and we share with another couple. In many respects this year has made us and our friendship stronger, but it has also shown up other, less nice things. I'll not go into details. Suffice it to say that the threat of covid was very stressful, so very pleased that we have all had our first dose of vaccine. Not everything we tried worked, although I thoroughly enjoyed my gardening, the results were unspectacular eg my spuds got blight and the courgettes got something else, and the rabbits / relative lack of sun later in July & August cobbled most of the rest.

One thing that I never thought I would say is that I was glad my elderly father died when he did. Living on his own, nearly 300 miles away, with carers calling four times a day ... a huge risk, when several of them didn't even get flu vaccines on offer ...

I've worked from home, on my part that was quite successful, as my little business continues to do well, with at least enough work for the next twelve months and a good possibility of more projects. Only problem is that the chap running the workshop is not good at managing the more eccentric members of staff, and there is (some) ill-feeling there, despite my attempts to sort out the situation.

E2A - I've been lucky in that all my family seems to have escaped the plague, but getting on for a dozen friends or members of the friend's family have died directly or indirectly as a result of covid. [the three indirect deaths were all cancer, either not diagnosed in time or treatment difficulties due to covid]. Plus several others I'm not sure about, including a cancer sufferer who died from complications, including a sudden bout of pneumonia, about a month before the first UK cases were found.

Last edited:
This day last year was the last time I worked. I was furloughed from the start and and went for voluntary redundancy before the extension to furlough was brought in. So I have had a whole year of not working and nearly gone round the fucking twist with it. My redundancy payout means that I don't really need a job for now, so I have more or less decided that I won't even start looking until after I've had my second vaccine.

Spent the year basically being the Mum to my Mum and Dad who are both in their eighties and who have failed a lot in this year. They live about a mile away, so it was a relief that I lived nearby. After a bumpy start, they both hunkered down and stayed in and have weathered it all. Both had to go to hospital at separate times. Not for Covid - but both were in for a week, which was pretty scary for the other one of them at the time and for me, but they both came home safe and sound.

I haven't lost anyone I love to Covid and I don't know anyone who's even had it, much less died of it. But that it probably more to do with the fact that I am pretty self contained and don't have a wide circle of friends. Maybe three or four. I would imagine that once we get to the point where you'll be seeing people you know in in cafes or restaurants or in the pub or out and about in general and having actual chats, I will get to hear that other people I know/am pally with haven't been as untouched by it as me.

Weirdest year of my life and I hope it doesn't go on for too much longer. Getting jabbed tomorrow, which is cheering me up, as it seems like it might be the beginning of the end.

I haven't lost anyone I love to Covid and I don't know anyone who's even had it, much less died of it. But that it probably more to do with the fact that I am pretty self contained and don't have a wide circle of friends. Maybe three or four. I would imagine that once we get to the point where you'll be seeing people you know in in cafes or restaurants or in the pub or out and about in general and having actual chats, I will get to hear that other people I know/am pally with haven't been as untouched by it as me.
I was thinking about this earlier too. I'm like you, don't know anyone that's really been affected by it at all - but at the other end of the scale, there must be some families, perhaps those where everyone works in medicine or in care homes, who must know dozens of people that have died. :(

166174701_10157545265141986_445266406755083641_o.jpg

Someone on a podcast was saying how first few months it was all yoga and reading and walks out in the woods. 12 months she said she is getting little pleasure from any of those things, that only the thought of it ending is not bringing on total dispair. The rest agreed with her. I felt relieved as it was the first time someone had articulated How's its been for me say since October. Just a dull, boring, angsty grind.

Someone on a podcast was saying how first few months it was all yoga and reading and walks out in the woods. 12 months she said she is getting little pleasure from any of those things, that only the thought of it ending is not bringing on total dispair. The rest agreed with her. I felt relieved as it was the first time someone had articulated How's its been for me say since October. Just a dull, boring, angsty grind.
I found September to December very hard indeed, partly because during a lot of that time I was under ineffective local tier restrictions, and that sense of the situation spiralling out of control locally while in the rest of the country people were having a nice time in pubs and shops was quite unbearable. January was a bit grim too but have felt calm and been quite productive since then, and I'm not really sure if that's because I've adapted or because I know there's light at the end of the tunnel.

Thought I'd use lockdown(s) to do all these things on lists I needed to tick off since years ago.
Instead I have now graduated to procrastination skill level "off the bloody scale".
Other than that can't complain, didn't catch it, no one I know died of it, I still have aroof over my head and enough to live/survive.
Waiting for the release date like most of us I guess.

I am objectively extremely lucky, have been throughout this pandemic: supportive family, stable finances, good health all round, secure and interesting job, nice comfy house, enough of everything. I know that, I appreciate it. So I feel like a massive wanker saying how flat and unhappy I am, but at this point in the fucking thing I find joy and pleasure very hard to come by. I have no drive to pleasure, no excitement (sex drive is MIA) and no desire to engage - just want to sleep or be left alone. It's not very healthy.

I am objectively extremely lucky, have been throughout this pandemic: supportive family, stable finances, good health all round, secure and interesting job, nice comfy house, enough of everything. I know that, I appreciate it. So I feel like a massive wanker saying how flat and unhappy I am, but at this point in the fucking thing I find joy and pleasure very hard to come by. I have no drive to pleasure, no excitement (sex drive is MIA) and no desire to engage - just want to sleep or be left alone. It's not very healthy.
I don't understand anyone who can be truly peaceful and happy during this. I guess there are some. The human mind in my view is a meaning making machine and there's only so much meaning gleaned from the 100th trip to Lidl. I'm making an effort to talk to people at work etc about how it is affecting them mentally and emotionally and nearly everyone confeses to being miserable and agitated.

I’ve been out drinking whisky in the garden of one of my oldest friends. We’ve known each other since we were 11. I spoke to his wife for 20 mins before she went back inside. He said I was the first adult, apart from him, she’d spoken to for over a year. This is the world we live in. It’s fucking bizarre. I’m pished. But it’s amazing seeing people you know and love.

Five positives and five negatives from my Corona year
Mostly personal in both categories.

Positives
Didn't catch the virus :), which has got to be a major positive -- festivaldeb didn't catch it either :). As well, we've both (by chance?) had our healthiest years for a good few years -- a fair bit of walking and even some cycling must have helped there.
2. I've had not-far-off five months of paid not-working from home last year, Wednesday March 18th to Monday August 4th -- retirement practice like that is a fucking awesome positive!! :oops: :cool:
3. Not especially screwed-up mentally, which could so easily have become the case. I suspect that getting out of the house (see 1.) pretty much every day all year except about three, helped here :). And actually getting enough sleep (see 2.) helps your health grandly, as any lazy-arse knows ... :D
4. Saved money -- lots! -- by not being able to bloody go anywhere. Beer-drinking at home may get a bit dull, but it's cheap :oops: :D
5. Got vaccinated with side effects at near-zero level :) :cool:

Negatives
NO BLOODY FESTIVALS!!!! ( :mad: x 10,000 + :( x 10,000 :thumbsdown: )
2. Only short-lived going-to-pub opportunities, and next-to-no leaving-Swansea-at-all opportunities :(
3. to at least 5.** -- see 1. and 2. :(

**Or 500!!

Supplementary negatives
A.
State of the World : Shite coronavirus politics in most countries, and under-par coronavirus policies, in most countries).
B. Conspiraloons : Just ban them from All The Internet, and why not from The Entire World too? :mad:
C. Missing people : Missing great friends, that is -- mainly see 1. , and the second bit of 2., in the 'Negatives' section above :( :(

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom