Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Red wine vinegar, yes or no

I use plain white vinegar for cleaning - can't use anything with an artificial scent and certain chemicals around birds and disinfectants that go cloudy in water are lethal for cats. Vinegar is safe for bird and mammal pets of all varieties.

Thank you all, I am going to buy a bottle and make these:

I've ordered some canned red peppers from Ocado.

In The Irishman, Joe Pesci is mixing a salad as he explains the 'change of plan' to de Niro, and says what a good idea it was to get this red wine vinegar.

That was when I felt the calling.

Last edited:
Thank you all, I am going to buy a bottle and make these:

I've ordered some canned red peppers from Ocado.

In The Irishman, Joe Pesci is mixing a salad as he explains the 'change of plan' to de Niro, and says what a good idea it was to get this red wine vinegar.

That was when I feel the calling.

I am not terribly excited by sweet potato but OH would love that, thanks for the link.

Instead of using a jar or can of red peppers you could cook some in a hot oven or under the grill or on a barbecue or direct over the flame of the hob if you have gas hobs until the skin is starting to char and blister, then seal them in a plastic bag until cold then remove the skins and marinade (or store for longer) in the fridge just covered in olive oil (covered bowl or a sterilised jar is fine if you want to store for longer) - you can add cloves of garlic or herbs to the oil too if you like. I like to do this with the long pointy red peppers that are quite sweet.

The jars you can buy are great btw - not saying not to use them - but if you find them difficult to get hold of or a bit expensive for regular use, the above method is good :)

We only have balsamic (for salads mainly), distilled malt (for pickling), malt (for chips, pickling, and eggs), white wine (mainly for vinaigrette), and Chinese (mainly for stir fry)

We also have crema de balsámico for salads etc. We use the one produced in the town.

We don't need more.

Last edited:
Epona I agree with you about good olive oil. The problem in the UK is that it is very difficult to get anything other than mediocre oil. In our local Carrefour the shelving dedicated to it is about the same as that dedicated to coffee and tea. The labels even include the acidity which does make a difference to the flavour.

Back
Top Bottom