Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Red wine vinegar, yes or no

Anyone who thinks vinegar is posh is a heathen! It only costs a quid and lasts for ages. It's not exactly caviar is it :D

I've used malt vinegar in salad dressings before.

Didn't someone on a thread recently who had worked in a chippy long term say they don't use malt vinegar? It is white vinegar or something. Non-Brewed Condiment it's called iirc.

Didn't someone on a thread recently who had worked in a chippy long term say they don't use malt vinegar? It is white vinegar or something. Non-Brewed Condiment it's called iirc.

It's a malt vinegar substitute iirc... Dilute acetic acid with flavourings.

Balsamic vinegar is great, and its detractors are wrong.

I don't use red wine vinegar, but then I don't cook much French food at the moment.

I'm so-so on balsamic tbh. OH likes it, but we don't use a lot of it and a bottle lasts a long time. Personally in every application where people usually suggest using balsamic vinegar, I personally prefer just a good quality extra virgin olive oil (on salads, to dip some gorgeous warm from the oven bread into etc).

I'm so-so on balsamic tbh. OH likes it, but we don't use a lot of it and a bottle lasts a long time. Personally in every application where people usually suggest using balsamic vinegar, I personally prefer just a good quality extra virgin olive oil (on salads, to dip some gorgeous warm from the oven bread into etc).

They're not really doing the same thing though, olive oil and balsamic... :hmm:

I use both.

They're not really doing the same thing though, olive oil and balsamic... :hmm:

I use both.

You see to me that is just ruining the olive oil.

(EDIT: Perhaps the issue is that I just really like olive oil more than I should. Every time I take the lid off a bottle I have to give it a sniff and have been known to just have a little bit while I am cooking like some people do with whatever wine is going in their food).

For me, yeah - if I want to really enjoy an olive oil I'll just have it with some sourdough. Sour+bitter, pretty good. Likewise for a good butter, best spread on a dark, moist country loaf with nothing else. But they are also ingredients... Can use for both. I prefer the combination in salads though, just because the sweetness of balsamic works well with ingredients that already have some level of bitterness.

Distinguishing between red and white wine vinegar is a waste of time. Get one or the other (and white is easier to find). Or buy both if you like the colours, I don't care, but you won't notice a taste difference.

Distinguishing between red and white wine vinegar is a waste of time. Get one or the other (and white is easier to find). Or buy both if you like the colours, I don't care, but you won't notice a taste difference.

If this proves to be true I'm going to combine the bottles to save on storage space.

rosevinegar.png

I once cleaned my bathroom with balsamic vinegar and got flak on here for it despite it being cheaper than supermarket bathroom cleaner and better

I once cleaned my bathroom with balsamic vinegar and got flak on here for it despite it being cheaper than supermarket bathroom cleaner and better

How is balsamic good at cleaning? :confused:

I mean I get that a mild acid is fairly helpful, but why use the mild acid with sugar in it? :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom