Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend me a mattress

are these mattress people like allied carpets in having a sale almost all the time, or are the current sales that 'end' in a day or so genuine?

i'm not sure i want to make a decision just quite yet, but don't want to pay twice as much if i do leave it a week or so...
The discounts seem vary throughout the tear in how much off and to which types of mattresses they apply

As far as I can tell (with Simba) there was usually some kind of sale on so you would rarely pay the full ticket price

thanks

think i may go and test drive something at john lewis or somewhere. not sure i can face buying online and hoping for the best.

not sure i can face second-hand either - would mean hiring a van or person and van and getting rid of the old mattress as well

We bought an M&S bed and mattress when we got married. We shelled out for the 2000 pocket spring medium natural wool one.
Never looked back.

I had a memory foam one originally on my bed which made the Mrs' night sweats resemble a log flume and she had a firm mattress that made me grumpy.

Now we sleep like babies. 👍

We bought an M&S bed and mattress when we got married. We shelled out for the 2000 pocket spring medium natural wool one.
Never looked back.

I had a memory foam one originally on my bed which made the Mrs' night sweats resemble a log flume and she had a firm mattress that made me grumpy.

Now we sleep like babies. 👍
I think I took a picture of this as a potential replacement for my very comfortable but hot mattress.
1660717332326.png1660717349206.png

We got rid of an ancient mattress last year; bought a new one and after 2 nights on a new mattress, the painful and annoying back pain I'd had for years and years stopped completely. I hadn't even considered the bed - I always slept really well in it; in fact I resisted a new mattress on the grounds that it might make my back hurt more. Pillock.

Anyway, we got one of these and it's great.

Odd when it arrives; packed in a box then expands into being.

I really recommend OTTY. Most comfortable mattress I’ve ever owned.

Otty.
They are quite expensive 500-1000 depending on whether they’re on offer somewhere but truly the most comfortable mattress I’ve ever slept
Can you try otty's out somewhere or do they offer a trial period or return thing?

Eta Don't worry, I've just found the info at the bottom of the website

Last edited:
We spent £700 on this mattress but, for an activity that takes up a third of your life, it is well worth it. I drift off with ease in splendid confort and am guaranteed to vividly dream every night (the name was never more apt)

Mattress is on my bed isn’t that old & was most expensive in ikea at the time but I should have bought a king so have ordered an Emma original king at £424 which has good reviews. I was aiming for ikea one at £750 which I didn’t yet have the money for & the Emma has good reviews so decided it’s worth a try. Other mattress will move to spare room.

Does anyone have a pillowtop mattress?

I'm looking round at mattresses at the mo and saw one in JL that I really liked, which has a pillowtop. I asked the assistant if they are hot at night and he said no, they're cooler because they're less dense. But I'm slightly :hmm: and wondering if it's really more flexible to have a normal mattress and then get a mattress topper.

Does anyone have a pillowtop mattress?

I'm looking round at mattresses at the mo and saw one in JL that I really liked, which has a pillowtop. I asked the assistant if they are hot at night and he said no, they're cooler because they're less dense. But I'm slightly :hmm: and wondering if it's really more flexible to have a normal mattress and then get a mattress topper.
I imagine it would be better in that you can rotate and flip rather than just rotate, therefore prolonging its life.
A greater choice of options too, I would imagine.

I imagine it would be better in that you can rotate and flip rather than just rotate, therefore prolonging its life.
A greater choice of options too, I would imagine.
Actually I've just found an article on the John Ryan site saying basically this, and that also if the top gets lumpy or anything you're stuffed as it's then new mattress time.

Probably best avoided then.

Ordered an Emma Hybrid (it was £494) on Monday, arrived y/day. It’s amazing how it pops out when the vacuum is opened.

Wasn’t expecting it to be as comfy as it was, I’m usually out of bed like a flash but I really didn’t want to get out of the bed and had to drag myself out at 7:30 - I’m usually on the way to work by then.

So far, and I know it’s early doors, but it’s a great mattress.

How is everyone getting on with their mattresses? The time has definitely come for me to get a new one. Absolutely do not want memory foam which sounds hot.

How is everyone getting on with their mattresses? The time has definitely come for me to get a new one. Absolutely do not want memory foam which sounds hot.
Have had an Emma for around eight years and it’s good.
I always ache but that me/work, not the mattress. If it lasts for ten, I’ll be very pleased. A good investment.

Back
Top Bottom