Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend me a mattress

That work really irk me :facepalm:

I’ve got an emma and it’s very comfy.
It does irk a bit, but I cba to send it back and get another. It'll do. I've got 200 days to decide otherwise I suppose. Yeah, I saw your recommendation in this thread. I agree it's comfy.

Yeah me too. My OCD would be doing a double back flip.

I had the same problem (sort of) as years ago I bought a Muji bed frame. The mattress is long gone, but every mattress since is slightly too small. So weird. I bought an Otty this year (still good and highly recommended by the way) and cut an extra bit of wood to add to the frame so that there wasn't an Inch or so gap at the bottom of the bed.

Our beds are European sizes and Otty do mattresses to fit them.
It was a Muji bed. Not euro. Had an ikea mattress after the Muji one crapped out and that didn't fit either.
believe it or not I did look at the dimensions of the Otty mattresses before I bought one.

It does irk a bit, but I cba to send it back and get another. It'll do. I've got 200 days to decide otherwise I suppose. Yeah, I saw your recommendation in this thread. I agree it's comfy.
Yeah, it's going back :facepalm: Can't get it to stay squished in the bed frame, and keeping the sheets on is a 'mare. I'm gonna see what Ikea do, if they're the only ones that are gonna fit the frame. Anyone got any reports of Ikea mattresses that are ok?

(don't like Ikea, never shop there, I didn't buy this bedframe)

Oh well. Other option is to somehow bodge it with an infill of the frame so the Emma mattress lies flush with the top of it, and no squishing is needed. Currently I've put my old mattress on top of the Emma one, so I can at least have a sheet that stays put. I'm like the princess and the pea, and need a short ladder to get into bed :rolleyes:

Option 1 get an IKEA mattress
Option 2 get a new bed frame

In my recent bed and mattress buying experience (four of each for new flat) mattresses are super fuxking expensive bed frames cheap/virtually free if you shop around on Facebook/ebay

I bought decent mattresses new and sourced the bed frames cheap

Option 1 get an IKEA mattress
Option 2 get a new bed frame

In my recent bed and mattress buying experience (four of each for new flat) mattresses are super fuxking expensive bed frames cheap/virtually free if you shop around on Facebook/ebay

I bought decent mattresses new and sourced the bed frames cheap
Yeah, I might go down the new frame route, if not too expensive. Even though I didn't choose or buy this frame, I quite like it now, especially as OH angle-grinded some of it off to make it fit in the room!

I recall now visiting a mates plates many years ago...they built their own bed frame out of scaffolding. The bed itself was just below the ceiling leaving room for a table of cupboards underneath it.

I recall now visiting a mates plates many years ago...they built their own bed frame out of scaffolding. The bed itself was just below the ceiling leaving room for a table of cupboards underneath it.
Very sensible. I'd like my bed high enough to see out the skylight windows.

They make their money on the physical impossibility and faff of trying to pack and courier the mattresses and you still have to buy another

A new bed frame off Facebook market could cost buttons and be picked up next day

Curses to IKEA for being non standard
I can’t speak for Emma mattresses but I had a Simba and they offered a no quibble return and that included couriering. Which I took them up on as it didn’t work for me.

Yeah, I've returned an Emma mattress before because my wife didn't like it. Very simple, and free of charge.

Edit: as I said on the first page of this thread :D

my current mattress must be 25+ years old, and is starting to object to my presence.

Any particular recommendations?

I'm on the heavier side of average, tend to sleep on one side or my front (and usually roll over a few times in the night) - think this means i want something that's medium to firm rather than something i'm going to sink into.

standard UK double bed size. not in a position where i've got to look for cheapest possible but not looking to spend silly money.

I recently got an Emma Premium , they are called hybrid here ( for some reason the discount at the time on their Portuguese site was a lot better than in the UKs), and it's great. I'm 6'2. 100 kilos, sleep on side, always roll over etc , its firm but not rock firm .

Just had a look at the UK site £495 with 55% discount

Otty.
They are quite expensive 500-1000 depending on whether they’re on offer somewhere but truly the most comfortable mattress I’ve ever slept on

We went to John Lewis a few weeks back and wanted to be sold a mattress and we were. The salesman asked our needs, what type of sleepers we were how we slept Etc. and spent about an hour
talking us through about three different mattress's and why they would be good or not so good for us, he was brilliant. Said mattress arrived Thursday and we both subsequently had a brilliant
nights sleep on it. We opted for for a natural, British made mattress. For the record, spring count is 11,000 and materials used; Hemp, linen, cotton, wool, Egyptian cotton, British wool.

My MiL would say buy the best you can afford, a good nights sleep is so important.

If (big if, these days) you can afford it, get a really good one. I bought a HerdySleep back when it was "only" £700 and they're a grand now. Really nice.

Another vote for the Emma: bit of an investment, but the best mattress I’ve ever slept on. Even after a few years of use, I still get into bed and think “god, this is so comfy”.

I can’t speak for Emma mattresses but I had a Simba and they offered a no quibble return and that included couriering. Which I took them up on as it didn’t work for me.
We have had a Simba for a wee while, absolutely superb. It has sorted Mrs Sas's sore hip.

Got an Emma mattress in 2020
Very comfortable.
Took a while to get used to though. I got it because of a slipped disk problem.
It does get quite warm...

are these mattress people like allied carpets in having a sale almost all the time, or are the current sales that 'end' in a day or so genuine?

i'm not sure i want to make a decision just quite yet, but don't want to pay twice as much if i do leave it a week or so...

are these mattress people like allied carpets in having a sale almost all the time, or are the current sales that 'end' in a day or so genuine?

i'm not sure i want to make a decision just quite yet, but don't want to pay twice as much if i do leave it a week or so...
I’ve probably said it already on the thread….worth going to a bed shop and testing out some mattresses in person to see if you get on with them then look about on EBay/Facebook market place for a “nearly new” mattress either bought and not got on with or bought for an ailing relative who quickly popped their clogs

Caveat some may think a mattress is a very personal purchase and only bought new rather than one someone may have died on :D as long as it’s not got any stains I’m happy to kipp on one to save best part of a grand

Two grand off!!!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom