Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Recommend me a mattress

I prefer a futon. I bought a new four layer futon a few months back. Love it!

But... Recommended you turn and roll them daily, which would be quite a commitment with a king size.

I got one of these recently

arrive quick in a ridiculously small box
Once it unfurled it was super comfy
A sort of space mattress feel but not as extreme

no complaints from me, nice comfy nights sleep

I got one of these recently

arrive quick in a ridiculously small box
Once it unfurled it was super comfy
A sort of space mattress feel but not as extreme

no complaints from me, nice comfy nights sleep
If you don't like it and want to send it back how do you get it back in the box?? :hmm:

When we're done rebuilding our bedroom I think we'll buy a John Ryan By Design one. They're expensive though.

Their website and articles are pretty interesting even if you have no intention of buying from them - some good buyers guides and mythbusting.

Reactions: LDC
If you don't like it and want to send it back how do you get it back in the box?? :hmm:
We sent back an Emma mattress that my wife hated. I think an external company (charity?) came to pick it up and we didn't have to put it back in the box, just the plastic wrapping. Not sure what happened to it after that, but it was very stress free, except for the anxiety of having to order another mattress to be delivered from Tempur and hoping it wasn't crap!

We got rid of an ancient mattress last year; bought a new one and after 2 nights on a new mattress, the painful and annoying back pain I'd had for years and years stopped completely. I hadn't even considered the bed - I always slept really well in it; in fact I resisted a new mattress on the grounds that it might make my back hurt more. Pillock.

Anyway, we got one of these and it's great.

Odd when it arrives; packed in a box then expands into being.

I feel like anything that unrolls, expands or otherwise unpacks itself from a compacted state is probably of questionable structure and durability.

Also someone mentioned spring count - more springs are good up to a point, but there is an upper limit constrained by physical space at which point it moves into marketing shit - mini springs or springs combined to get the number up. Between 1000 and 1500 is sensible.

I feel like anything that unrolls, expands or otherwise unpacks itself from a compacted state is probably of questionable structure and durability.

Also someone mentioned spring count - more springs are good up to a point, but there is an upper limit constrained by physical space at which point it moves into marketing shit - mini springs or springs combined to get the number up. Between 1000 and 1500 is sensible.
How do you feel about octasprings?

I've seen too much mattress infomercials :(

How do you feel about octasprings?

I've seen too much mattress infomercials :(
Never heard of them before, but looking now, they seem to be memory foam springs. I suppose my main question is: why? It makes it much easier for the mattress company to store and ship their product, but does it offer any benefit to the consumer? Traditional pocket springs have a very long history. Foam springs possibly haven't been around long enough to know how they perform a few years later.

Futon? Luxury! I prefer to sleep in an active volcano!
A real futon though seemingly far more hardcore is actually incredibly comfortable. No matter what you see or search for in the UK from the 'traditional real japanese futon company', they are just not the same thing at all.

They never come in doubles, they are probably less than an inch thick and fold into three to fit in the cupboard.

Octasprings are no subsitute for actual springs. They're just memory foam, but with gaps. Maybe they offer improved ventilation but they can't offer more support or springiness than memory foam without gaps.

Back
Top Bottom