Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Reclaim The Futures

I went there, really enjoyed it. My first event of that type. Picked up loads of leaflets and learnt plenty at the couple of workshops I went to.

Saw a police car on the other side of the road when we left but there wasn't any other bother. Some guys in white shirts were wandering about mid afternoon, guess they were the fire inspectors mentioned earlier? They were just looking at the sound system when I passed.

Anyway, yeah, really enjoyed it. Didn't know anyone other than the couple of people I arrived with so didn't stay too late as they all had other stuff to do, but hopefully next time...

Brainaddict said:
Cheers. That is quite an interesting location for it. Odds on it being busted anyone? :p

We just walked up to try and get in and the OB are certainly taking an interest now. Holloway road was shut to traffic and there are loads of police vans and coppers outside, and a human shield by the gates. No one is getting in or out of that building for a while.

We saw a bit of truncheon action from the police outside, so I hope everyone gets out of the party safely.

A post on the indymedia newswire says:

Reports coming in that riot cops are massing outside Reclaim The Future 4, at 52 Holloway Road, London N7.

The local pigs didn't like the idea as soon as they realised what was going to happen at the building. They put a lot of pressure on the fire brigade to block the night taking place, but the fire people were eventually re-assured by the dedication an determination to make the neceesary changes to the building for ther party to gig ahead.

This didn't please the cops at all. So now it seems they are coming in heavy and nasty anyway.

Bands and DJs are stillplaying, but it sounds like entry/access is being blocked.

The event started at 1pm with workshops taking place all day, with constant fine food from 56A cafe people.

More news as it happens!

https://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2007/04/366727.html

Just got back, we climbed out the back, all the music stopped due to the police and it didnt look like it would pick up again. ~100 cops with around half in riot gear not letting anyone in or out and blocking off that section of holloway road.

Just got back myself, most of the police were gone and the street was open again and they were letting people in and out the gates again.

Great party, shame about the early finish, but the drummers were doing a really good job when I left, keeping people dancing :cool:

I dint go in the end as I suspected the powers that be would once again try to deny people the right to have fun, and who wants to dance with a policeman anyway ;)

Dont get me wrong, I am sure there were plenty of shootings and stabbings in and around London to keep them busy, so why they were hanging at a party, I have no idea!!

What a fucked up world...

TBH, I didn't think the atmosphere at night was that great, probably the lighting. Plus the bands were all shite until The Nomads came on but that when the filth showed up :mad:

treefrog said:
Am back. And fucked. :D :D

Magneze has been on the phone, a bit lost in Hackney, bless...

He's back on track now, thanks to google map :D - the trains aren't running :(

I noes :( It took us about 3 hours to get home :eek: :eek:

When I left he and Kam were still ripping it up on the dancefloor. Hope they get home safely! :cool:

treefrog said:
I noes :( It took us about 3 hours to get home :eek: :eek:

When I left he and Kam were still ripping it up on the dancefloor. Hope they get home safely! :cool:

did u go to the london techno party after? was it any good?

Bit of an odd one- never really got going.

Had a good time though. :)

Glad I didn't go to Hackney Wick afterwards (sort of).

The breaks/Tek room was quite good and some of the early hip hop was :cool:

Shame about the early finish and losing loads of mates....

BTW Mr Yetman you is a legend :cool: :D

Lovely to see some very old friends :eek:

Nice to finally meet some of the peeps from here.....including peeps who have sent me cds in the last few 'Urburns'. Good to know you all got home safe and sound.

My head really really really hurts though.........

BB:)

I enjoyed it all thoroughly until the Police intervened!
That band the Rhythm Addicts were pretty good I thought ...

More later, I'm off to the pub ...

Hmmm.....Awesome building. Fantastically well organised do.

Think it was a dead shame everything turned off when the cops arrived outside. All power to the one tiny sound that did stay on quietly though, at least there was a bit of music....

So many bands didn't get the chance to play; Inner Terrestrials, Head jam (half their members were stuck outside)...
Stooooopid sensless decision by police to stop letting people in, orchestratred confrontation, batons out, one arrest say Indymedia..

Damn shame after all the massive obvious effort put in from the organisers, but never the less a fun gathering, if somehow spoiled by the whole badly managed (on bothsides I feel) shennegans at the gates.

And idiotic fuckers throwing glass bottles at the gates...

Nice to see such a massive Urban turn out though.:cool:

They sealed the building off just as I was locking my bike up outside. We had to go round the back by Highbury Fields and go into the garden of a children's home, scale a 15 ft wall then walk along the top of it for 200ft (with the 15 ft drop one side and a glass roof the other side) to get in :D
Shame loads of people left the party and more of the people stuck outside didn't try harder to get in.
I was surprised the rozzers didn't try to get in seeing as they sealed off Holloway Rd for 2 to 3 hours and had loads of Robocops on hand and had been getting abuse and cans from drunken toytown revolutionaries.
Heard they'd been served with a noise abatement order.

Sir Belchalot said:
They sealed the building off just as I was locking my bike up outside. We had to go round the back by Highbury Fields and go into the garden of a children's home, scale a 15 ft wall then walk along the top of it for 200ft (with the 15 ft drop one side and a glass roof the other side) to get in :D

:cool:

That's the spirit! :D

Sir Belchalot said:
...Shame loads of people left the party and more of the people stuck outside didn't try harder to get in.

This is completetly my view.

It was a real shame that RTF got stopped short - was turning into a great party. Nice, stomping techno in Hackney afterwards ... :D

e2a: Nice to meet Yetman & Dan U too. :)

I had a good night despite the police forcing an entirely unnecessary confrontation at the front gate and shutting down the sound systems ( :mad: ). Couldn't be arsed to go on to another party but had a nice time standing round chatting to people until first tube time :)

Sir Belchalot said:
We had to go round the back by Highbury Fields and go into the garden of a children's home, scale a 15 ft wall then walk along the top of it for 200ft (with the 15 ft drop one side and a glass roof the other side) to get in :D

If you came at it from the right, round the back of the swanky flats, then youcould find a strategically placed rack that you could climb up without the suicidal drop on either side :p

aurora green said:
So did I. There was an incredibly friendly vibe. Had some really nice chats with people.:cool:

Sorry I didn't stop an talk to you for long hun.

Also apologies last night to anyone who tried to talk me to which I replied 'sorry I'm just really fucked, not very chatty' :oops: :D

I cant believe the police were so heavy handed with this, there's been other much bigger events, which have gone without this much conforntaion.

Was it because it was 'activists' (apparantley the bar was selling nestle!! ) rather than just ravers?

^Ive seen appalling heavy handedness from the old Bill at free parties, but when activists is mentioned the heat is on as far as the police are concerned

Back
Top Bottom