Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Really tacky Premiership gimmicks and other modern football crap

Oh yes. Another dire US import.

crystal-palace-cardiff-city-mar2011-02.jpg

Is that Palace?
Agreed

This thread needs a bit of this, doesnt it, hmm, two at the back, three in the middle, four up front, one's gone home for his tea. Beans on toast? Possibly, don't quote me on that. Marvellous.

This thread needs orange balls for playing in the snow, the Baseball Ground pitch in the 70s, tricky wee Scottish wingers raised on gravel pitches and ricketts and Leeds spending an extended period of exile away from the top flight.

At least some things are still normal ;)

we sang "what the fucking hell is that" when the bloke walked on the pitch with it stuck on his hand. It doesn't fly very high either:D
Benfica let an eagle loose before each home game. It starts off from the top of the centre stand and it does about half a dozen laps of the stadium before it lands on its perch. There's a lot of ooing and aahing. At palace we don't start him off too high up because A) there are no stands up there and B) I think he gets nosebleed.

& how many of your grounds can boast pigeon free stands!

Anyone remember half and half ski hats in the 80s? Usually half your English team and half Rangers/Celtic though Aberdeen got a look in back then as well. My mate admits to owning a Rovers/Dundee United ski hat :D
Our mate Gary used to have a Chelsea/Celtic half and half ski hat.

A new side effect of modern football is the emerging connections between the Premier League and MLS. Sheikh Mansour's new plaything is New York City FC which will be Man City's sister club in the US and begin play in 2015.

Phil Rawlins has recently resigned his position as a board member for Stoke City in order to devote himself fully to his new job as president of Orlando City, which is located in Florida and is a Stoke sister club. They will begin play in MLS in 2015.

And perhaps best of all, David Beckham is in the beginning stages of organizing a new MLS club in Miami of which he will be the principal owner. Their tentative time frame for joining MLS is 2016 or 2017, circumstances depending.

The Premier League and MLS will be pals! :D

Last edited:
it's not just football/the premier league. i recall seeing an abseiling welshman belting out the national anthem at the millennium stadium before a rugby game a few years ago :D followed up by charlotte church or someone singing another dirge, followed up yet another one. all with flamethrowers etc.

and they give NZ shit for doing a haka :facepalm:

Is it Norwich that have those yellow fan things their supporters wave to save themselves the effort of clapping?
If you can't be arsed to clap, then you should not be allowed to flick the vees or do the "magic the beans" sign at the other fans

Demonstration at 20sec.

Last edited:
It's all bollocks. I want two teams to run out, captains to shake hands at the coin toss, and the game to start.

No music, no fireworks, no dancers, no plinths, no pyrotechnics, no hordes of kids, no life-sized mascots, no overpriced replica kit, no ridiculously named grounds, no glow in the dark boots or other stupid clothing e.g. snoods, tights or gloves, no headsets, no racing car seats, no minute of clapping, no military, no club-endorsed/provided flags, no moving kick off time to suit Sky, no moving advertising hoardings, no ludicrously over-paid and ill -behaved man-children, no hours of pundits rehashing manufactured controversy, no berating refs when most of the players are looking to cheat them, no cheerleaders, no brass bands, no corporate tickets, no changes of clubs names badges or colours for commercial reasons, no animals, etc.

This is football. If you don't find it sufficiently entertaining without all that shit, go to the fucking circus.

Then maybe we could have ticket prices that mean working people who are real football fans can go and watch a match, rather than the corporate 'match day experience' rip-off, which has left much of football sterile.

Last edited:
I dont think the flags, fireworks and shit are what has priced most people out of football. Its the fact that a player of Rooney's 'quality' can command 300k a week. Thats where the money goes.

Ipswich have the works. Pre-game dramatic opera music, cheerleaders, after goal music. At least we don't have replays on a big screen in the stadium though, that's shite.

It's all bollocks. I want two teams to run out, captains to shake hands at the coin toss, and the game to start.

No music, no fireworks, no dancers, no plinths, no pyrotechnics, no hordes of kids, no life-sized mascots, no overpriced replica kit, no ridiculously named grounds, no glow in the dark boots or other stupid clothing e.g. snoods, tights or gloves, no headsets, no racing car seats, no minute of clapping, no military, no club-endorsed/provided flags, no moving kick off time to suit Sky, no moving advertising hoardings, no ludicrously over-paid and ill -behaved man-children, no hours of pundits rehashing manufactured controversy, no berating refs when most of the players are looking to cheat them, no cheerleaders, no brass bands, no corporate tickets, no changes of clubs names badges or colours for commercial reasons, no animals, etc.

This is football. If you don't find it sufficiently entertaining without all that shit, go to the fucking circus.

Then maybe we could have ticket prices that mean working people who are real football fans can go and watch a match, rather than the corporate 'match day experience' rip-off, which has left much of football sterile.

Non-league.:cool:

I haven't watched more than a few minutes of a Premier League match or MOTD for months now. Fuck it.

Half time entertainment. Ugh

My ideal half time entertainment:
Teams walk off
Go for a slash
Draw made, someone walks off with some money
Half time scores read out. Possibly some happy birthdays or hellos to littluns attending their first match
Teams come out again

Ah yes, Club Wembley and that. May 2007, 40,000 Bristolians half filled Wembley to see the Gas go up - the pictures of happy celebrating fans being marred by a massive strip of empty seats between the top and bottom tiers. Sad and ugly

Non-league.:cool:
Sadly even non-league is succumbing to some of this nonsense, like lining up for the handshakes before kick off.

The start of matches should be the players sprinting out of the tunnel, doing a few stretches and kicking off after the coin toss. I can't see that shaking hands with all your opponents in a line before kick off adds anything to the respect they have for each other.

Back
Top Bottom