Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Really tacky Premiership gimmicks and other modern football crap

It was a case of one barrel, duly scraped:

Paddy Power turns Farnborough FC into the greatest team of all time

You may have heard about Paddy Power’s deal with Farnborough FC before today. You shouldn’t have. Tuesday was supposed to be the big reveal and a member of our marketing department is being flogged with rubber hoses as you read this. People in marketing like that kind of thing.

So the news is out that Paddy Power has taken over as Farnborough’s main sponsor, saving them from administration in the process. We heard you, Farnborough fans.

On top of slathering their kit and stadium with a generous helping of our new logo, we’ve also helped them put together the strongest line-up of players the world has ever seen. On paper.

- See more at: http://blog.paddypower.com/2013/08/...orough-fc-into-the-greatest-team-of-all-time/

sadly, we'd be as well off complaining about the tide coming in.

This shit isn't going away. Us girning traditionalists may well be able to hide in the lower colon of the non leagues for a few years, but the virus of neoliberalism will be rampant down there too within a decade.

By then, no doubt, gaming technology means that those who go regularly will stay in their hosue with the curtains drawn, playing inevery game of the 1967-68 season and decisively re-writing history, ignorant of the dystopia outside. Either that or go an watch the local lower league favourites for £40 a pop, playing at the "Tony McSpiv Bathroom Solutions Stadium" in unfamiliar colours of bronze and gold (reflecting the colours of McSpiv's top of the range products with a handy shirt sponsorship deal).

You should all come watch three-sided football, proper grassroots stuff ;)

The size of the teams depends on who shows up, bibs are used in places of strips because apparently six grown men can't be relied on to co-ordinate wearing the same coloured shirt, lines are marked out each game with blue string... It's certainly not football for the glory or prestige :D

ddd.jpg

Wealdstone may be non-league but they like to think big and make sure everyone's involved when it comes to handshakes, so there's a whole gang all shaking away on the pitch before kick off. I'm surprised they didn't invite the crowd up too.

Can I also add slow motion replays of 'reaction from the bench' to goals and near misses on TV, along with post match interviews taking place in front of a wall bedecked with endless corporate logos.

Can I also add slow motion replays of 'reaction from the bench' to goals and near misses on TV, along with post match interviews taking place in front of a wall bedecked with endless corporate logos.
These days the club badge is often not even included in these logos. Leaves no room for the rest see

_62915043_martinez1.png

:mad:

These drive me fuckin insane, they actually had them and the Ireland V England game, and loads a fucking Irish Mugs were rocking them...pricks...I dont mind "friendship" ones, Athletic Club /Celtic, Chelsea/Rangers etc....but these half/half ones of two random teams, there for fuckin day trippers..........*gets ready to take abuse off someone who has a huge collection of half&half scarves*

I had a West Brom/Celtic wolly hat many many years ago, half and half. They were quite the rage at the time around the grounds. There was R*****s one's you could get too, but they never sold very well cept at V***a no doubt.

I had a West Brom/Celtic wolly hat many many years ago, half and half. They were quite the rage at the time around the grounds. There was R*****s one's you could get too, but they never sold very well cept at V***a no doubt.
I've got a half Charlton half Rangers scarf. :)

View attachment 51198

Wealdstone may be non-league but they like to think big and make sure everyone's involved when it comes to handshakes, so there's a whole gang all shaking away on the pitch before kick off. I'm surprised they didn't invite the crowd up too.

Anyone would think they were top of the league, 10 points ahead of Dulwich Hamlet with three games in hand.

Come on you Stones!

I suppose the Hammerettes have been mentioned ? sorta didnt sit well with me watching a bunch of lairy middle aged pissed blokes ( on both sides) leering at the performers

When back home, I only ever watch the premiership on match of the day. I can't stand the endless sky sports naffness of live games. The pundits like Jamie Redknapp and other boring types, the 'Sponsored by Ford' and that sample of Moloko 'Time Is Now' every five ad breaks before, halftime and after. Then there's the lad/bloke commercials for stuff like Paddy Power and Bet365, Ray Winstone giving it propa hardmaan, and other blokey commercials for crap lager and horrid drinks like WKD. It's like watching Nuts TV. It's just depressing.

Also they time the ads to perfection, the way the handshakes and kickoff is ALWAYS interspersed with some adverts. So even if you tune in exactly for kickoff in an attempt to miss all that bollocks, they'll catch you with a minute of advertising and the ref will only blow for kick off as soon as the TV is back from the ad break.

Corporate, corporate, corporate....everything.

Yesterday, my team, Luton, was presented with the trophy for winning the conference (which means we're back in the football league). Immediately after the whistle, there was a spontaneous pitch invasion. It was all good natured, and one of the very few joyous moments for the last few seasons. One that was quickly spoiled by the shitness of modern football - everyone had to get off the pitch whilst they spent ages erecting a stage etc, before some naff,sanitised and stage-managed celebrations. Worst if all, some of our own fans were booing those who ran onto the pitch!

I had much more fun at Saturday's away game at Welling (the first game after we won the league) when we just ran on and celebrated with the players and manager, without nobody trying to stop us, and no need for officially orchestrated celebrations.

Last edited:
Horrible corporate adverts released to huge fanfare on social media followed by everyone crowing about how 'amazing' and 'clever' it is when in fact it's just huge amounts of chroma key (which isn't exactly groundbreaking tech) and postproduction to give the illusion that the world's best (Nike sponsored) players are all playing football in the fantasy minds of some carefully positioned urban yoot dem in order to sell their shitty football shirts made in the far east for pennies at massively inflated prices to their target markets in the west.

Because, Nike.

Back
Top Bottom