Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rapid Response Media Alert: Targeting Iran – The BBC Propaganda Begins

FridgeMagnet said:
Power Of Nightmares is an excellent documentary which collects together a lot of information and puts it in historical context - but it's certainly not responsible for *my* dismissing the Al Qaeda Worldwide Federation Of Evil nonsense and the various bits of propaganda that we're being fed. It just reinforced the message and pointed out a few more facts which make the whole thing look even more flimsy than before.

It's an excellent introduction to the idea, though, with a strong thesis, clear argument, lots of detail and so on.
Indeed.

Al-Qaeda existed in two forms, only one of which still exists. OBL did run a set of training camps that people referred to using that term in Afghanistan between 1996 and 2001. The USA destroyed them. But even then the word was more commonly used to mean the 'basic principle' that all Muslims have to take violent action against the West, because the West is attacking the Umma. And now that principle has been confirmed and strengthened by USuk military action. This second manifestation of al-Qaeda is much more dangerous than the first, because after all how much training does it take to blow up a building or open up on a crowd with automatic weapons? Not very much, that's how much. But it does take fanatical dedication to an idea, and that's what 'we' have now given 'them.'

pk said:
Hardly knocked off the front page was it though.

And the million plus march was reported as such, blatantly in the face of the police statistics which were obvioulsy lies, so, that doesn't lie with me.

BBC as a corporation obviously have their faults - the utter waste of public money on middle management and useless commissions for one - but the integrity of BBC News is just not questionable as far as I am concerned, certainly not when compared to any other news network you can think of.

It is the benchmark of transparency, from which all other news groups are compared.

Something just doesn't sit right in my mind with those last few pars. Are you referring to newsgroups only in the UK or worldwide?

pk said:
I can "posit" a number of reasons why I think you're just flailing out - namely that you don't work yet feel you should comment on the choices of others who do in your tedious self-righteous manner.

I don't belong to a union because they waste time and money in my industry - and led to the downfall of a largely respected company due to their pedantic approach to logical problems.

Sound familiar does it, Picky boy??

:rolleyes:

What's your industry?

nick1181 said:
Well to be fair, until I saw that Power of Nightmares, I would have said AQ existed as well.

I've always thought the war on terror was a lie, the same way that the war on drugs is/was a lie, but I don't think it's unreasonable for anyone who hasn't seen that particular documentry to assume that AQ exists any more than it is to assume that the moon landing actually happened.

There are loads of bittorrents of it floating about - you can find them on google. It's worth seeing I think.

What is a bittorent(s)?

oh it was bit torrent, er....what is a bit torrent?

Johnny Canuck2 said:
Let me get this straight: you watched a tv show, and now you're convinced that Al Q doesn't exist.

People like you are an advertiser's dream.

In what way is Nino an advertiser's dream?

phildwyer said:
Al-Qaeda existed in two forms, only one of which still exists. OBL did run a set of training camps that people referred to using that term in Afghanistan between 1996 and 2001. The USA destroyed them. But even then the word was more commonly used to mean the 'basic principle' that all Muslims have to take violent action against the West, because the West is attacking the Umma. And now that principle has been confirmed and strengthened by USuk military action. This second manifestation of al-Qaeda is much more dangerous than the first, because after all how much training does it take to blow up a building or open up on a crowd with automatic weapons? Not very much, that's how much. But it does take fanatical dedication to an idea, and that's what 'we' have now given 'them.'
And such ideas existed long before OBL came on the scene.

mears said:
Thats why I pay no attention to him.

No but you are quite prepared to make nasty comments to someone else about me. You are really still at high school aren't you mears?

If you have something to say to me, then say it to me not to someone else. You only succeed in proving how truly ignorant you are and what little knowledge you have of the world (amply demonstrated in your posts).

editor said:
When was the last time you actually worked and were part of a union by the way?
*ignoring off-topic personal abuse*

when was the last time i worked? define work.

when was i last part of a union? now. and just then.

barring some unforeseen occurrence, i consider this correspondence closed.

Pickman's model said:
yeh, aq exists - or existed - but they're not some sort of fu manchu si fan james bond fantasy baddy. there's lot of groups out there with similar politix to obl: and i imagine that more and more people think about joining the fuckwitted jehadis every day.
thanks to a) Iraq b) Israel and c) US support for various corrupt potentates and crowned heads, this is PRECISELY the process that is happening, in the gulf in Afghanistan, N Africa, Pakistan and Afghanistan.
Worse, most of the enlistees are disaffected males under 40.
This does not look good.

Pickman's model said:
barring some unforeseen occurrence, i consider this correspondence closed.
Ok. Wriggle away. :rolleyes:

But I strongly suggest you stop trying to push your twisted, offensive words down my mouth and keep your fact-free flights of fancy about what I supposedly think about unions to yourself.

Even better - the next time I ask someone a direct question which doesn't involve you in any way, how about you shut the fuck up if you haven't a clue what you're on about?

"But I strongly suggest you stop trying to push your twisted, offensive words down my mouth and keep your fact-free flights of fancy..."

yeh, i think i'll use that form of words next time someone tries to put words into my mouth.

ta.

Pickman's model said:
yeh, i think i'll use that form of words next time someone tries to put words into my mouth.
Fascinating, as ever.

Ever considered going for quality rather than quantity with your posts?
Just a thought, like.

:rolleyes:

Pickman's model said:
sauce? that's one way of describing it.

as it goes, romanian wine can be very good. specially if yr getting it on expenses - as i bet pk was.

A glass of Murfatlar with a meal can hardly be described as "a few pre-lunch snifters" can it, Picky?

You fucking pedantic wankstain.

And it wasn't on expenses this time. I bought lunch for my assistant too.

Like I said - come back when you know what you're talking about, and don't be calling me a liar or you might find yourself lying - on the fucking floor ya cunt.

pk said:
A glass of Murfatlar with a meal can hardly be described as "a few pre-lunch snifters" can it, Picky?

You fucking pedantic wankstain.

And it wasn't on expenses this time. I bought lunch for my assistant too.

Like I said - come back when you know what you're talking about, and don't be calling me a liar or you might find yourself lying - on the fucking floor ya cunt.
still drinking during the day - in't it?

you fucking lying pool of excrement.

so it weren't on expenses this time - but i wouldn't be surprised if it were next time...

editor said:
Unacceptable personal abuse all round.
Cut it out, the pair of you.

Given the frequency with which posters on these boards seems to threaten to bash each other up, have you ever considered staging, say, a monthly event in which those who have fallen out settle their differences like gentlemen: in the ring, with gloves, a referee and so on? I'd certainly pay to see such an event, and I'm sure many others would too. You could even open a book on it.

phildwyer said:
Given the frequency with which posters on these boards seems to threaten to bash each other up, have you ever considered staging, say, a monthly event in which those who have fallen out settle their differences like gentlemen: in the ring, with gloves, a referee and so on? I'd certainly pay to see such an event, and I'm sure many others would too. You could even open a book on it.
Nice idea. My money would definitely be on pk for this one!

phildwyer said:
whilst i'm sure many urbanites would like to see disputes resolved by the disputants acting as gentlemen, i doubt that, for example, pk could really lay claim to the title of 'gentleman'.

Pickman's model said:
whilst i'm sure many urbanites would like to see disputes resolved by the disputants acting as gentlemen, i doubt that, for example, pk could really lay claim to the title of 'gentleman'.
Did you not see this post?
Unacceptable personal abuse all round.
Cut it out, the pair of you.

Johnny Canuck2 said:
Canadian courts won't extradite US criminals back to the US if there's a chance that the criminal will face the death penalty back home.

Also, failing to extradite is different from funding terrorists, which is what you originally charged the US with.

Er... the Mujahadee, Nicaragua, Cuba... not to mention the trorrorist governments the US has set-up/backed- Chile, El Salvadore, Guatamala... or is all this unhistory?

phildwyer said:

We could call it Fatties Fight Club.

Johnny Canuck2 said:
But YOU purported to do that very thing in your earlier post about the Taliban's inability to give up OBL.
No I did NOT; Johnny, please stop lying, and please stop misrepresenting me. I VERY carefully avoided offering any opinion on whether they WANTED to give up OBL, and merely pointed out, in the relevant posts, that you entirely misrepresented their STATED positon, and that there was at least a good chance, due to the practical exigencies of the situation, that they were telling the truth.
accept it - you got it wrong.

Back
Top Bottom