Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Rapid Response Media Alert: Targeting Iran – The BBC Propaganda Begins

On Tuesday the Taliban's ambassador to Pakistan, Mullaha Abdul Salam Zaeef told CNN's Larry King Live, they were willing to negotiate with the United States on bin Laden's handover, if they were provided with evidence that linked him and his al Qaeda network to last month's attacks on the United States.

"We prefer to the negotiation than the war, because the war is very bad, it has a lot of bad results in the future and this will be increasing the problems, not decreasing," he said.

Without proof of bin Laden's involvement in the attacks, he said the Taliban cannot hand him over to the U.S.

"If Osama Bin Laden is involved …, we need something which is evidence, which is proof of Osama bin Laden, to talk of this option," he said.

http://archives.cnn.com/2001/WORLD/asiapcf/central/10/03/ret.taliban.warning/

nino_savatte said:
Au contraire my little crepe suzette, you are the schmuck since you believe the fantasy that is AQ and in the myth that is OBL's leadership of a vast terror network. :p

How about your degree Cancuck, is it relevant to political discourse?

Al Qaida doesn't exist because nino tells me so.

Well to be fair, until I saw that Power of Nightmares, I would have said AQ existed as well.

I've always thought the war on terror was a lie, the same way that the war on drugs is/was a lie, but I don't think it's unreasonable for anyone who hasn't seen that particular documentry to assume that AQ exists any more than it is to assume that the moon landing actually happened.

There are loads of bittorrents of it floating about - you can find them on google. It's worth seeing I think.

nino_savatte said:
Now we're getting somewhere; now I want you to repeat that over and over for the next hour. :D :p

Let me get this straight: you watched a tv show, and now you're convinced that Al Q doesn't exist.

People like you are an advertiser's dream.

Johnny Canuck2 said:
BTW, Red, we don't want to get too revisionist here, do we?

Pakistan — which supports the United States in the confrontation, but is also the world's only country to recognize the Taliban as Afghanistan's government — sent a delegation of senior Islamic clerics friendly to the Taliban, together with its own intelligence chief, Gen. Mahmood Ahmed, to make a case to Omar that he must show flexibility or risk U.S. retaliation.

In daylong talks in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar, the Taliban's home base, participants on both sides said Omar refused even to discuss bin Laden, who is accused by the United States of masterminding the Sept. 11 terror strikes on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon.

The United States has demanded that Afghanistan surrender bin Laden. The Taliban refuse to do so.

A Pakistani cleric taking part in the talks quoted the blunt-spoken Taliban leader as saying his stance on bin Laden had not changed. It was America that must abandon its "stubbornness," he said, according to Mufti Mohammed Jamil, leader of a religious Pakistani political party.

In the volatile border city of Peshawar, several thousand protesters chanted "Death to America!" and vowed to make Afghanistan a "graveyard" for American forces. Riot police watched from a distance but did not intervene.

At a smaller protest in Islamabad, protesters stomped on American flags, then burned them, together with an effigy of Bush. "Osama is our hero," read placards waved by the crowd.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/sept11/2001/09/28/pushforsurrender.htm
You do KNOW that politicians manoeuvre, politick, play word-games and play to galleries, don't you?
to reiterate; only by getting in Mullah Omar's head and those of his cohorts, can we discern THEIR own true willingness. but the point stands-for a variety of reasons, including likely popular reaction - as so clearly evinced in thisw post of yours I am quoting - they couldn't. and I'd love to meet the military and political genius who could have worked out how to square that particular circle
btw, Johnny, USA today as a credible news source? do me a favour. Next you'll be telling me to always trust ol' Rupe Murdoch's every word.

nino_savatte said:
I don't have "Fine Arts" degree (and that shows how much attention you actually pay to things) Canuck but it is clear that rather than think for yourself, you would accept every lie told to you.

Has it ever occured to you that you are in absolutely no position to comment on the subject of my degree and its relation to politics? But that is what would you rather do when faced with the possibility of even considering what I have said. I guess you won't be watching The Power of Nightmares if it is shown in Canada; can't destroy the little fantasy world that you hold so dear. I mean without it, what would you do?[/QUOTE]

Why wait for it to air in Canada when you can watch it here mate.

power of nightmares online

Downloading the bit torrent file will get you a better quality version.

You need a pice of software to download it.

pk said:
Oh and as for the "pre-lunch snifters" - I don't drink during the day, as unlike you, I have a shit-load of work to do.
pk said:
Let me know when I return from a long lunch, of steak in Diane sauce, with fine Romanian wine.
if you are going to lie, at least have the grace to do it well.

Power Of Nightmares is an excellent documentary which collects together a lot of information and puts it in historical context - but it's certainly not responsible for *my* dismissing the Al Qaeda Worldwide Federation Of Evil nonsense and the various bits of propaganda that we're being fed. It just reinforced the message and pointed out a few more facts which make the whole thing look even more flimsy than before.

It's an excellent introduction to the idea, though, with a strong thesis, clear argument, lots of detail and so on.

Pickman's model said:
if you are going to lie, at least have the grace to do it well.
Ahh maybe the wine was in the sauce.
That's the only thing i could think of doing with Romanian wine.
Cooking that is. :D

sauce? that's one way of describing it.

as it goes, romanian wine can be very good. specially if yr getting it on expenses - as i bet pk was.

Red Jezza said:
You do KNOW that politicians manoeuvre, politick, play word-games and play to galleries, don't you?
to reiterate; only by getting in Mullah Omar's head and those of his cohorts, can we discern THEIR own true willingness. .

But YOU purported to do that very thing in your earlier post about the Taliban's inability to give up OBL.

nino_savatte said:
I don't have "Fine Arts" degree (and that shows how much attention you actually pay to things) Canuck but it is clear that rather than think for yourself, you would accept every lie told to you.

Has it ever occured to you that you are in absolutely no position to comment on the subject of my degree and its relation to politics? But that is what would you rather do when faced with the possibility of even considering what I have said. I guess you won't be watching The Power of Nightmares if it is shown in Canada; can't destroy the little fantasy world that you hold so dear. I mean without it, what would you do?

Only if you admit that you're in no postition to comment on my ability or inability to understand some point made by Baudrillard.

Johnny Canuck2 said:
Let me get this straight: you watched a tv show, and now you're convinced that Al Q doesn't exist.

Let me get this straight. George Bush told you Al Q exists, and you believed him?

Bearing in mind that this was the same bloke who told you Iraq had WMD, Id at least be willing to listen to alternative views.....

yeh, aq exists - or existed - but they're not some sort of fu manchu si fan james bond fantasy baddy. there's lot of groups out there with similar politix to obl: and i imagine that more and more people think about joining the fuckwitted jehadis every day.

Johnny Canuck2 said:

You miss the point o pointy headed one: not only does the programme make clear that AQ was a fiction, it also makes the point that OBL is not the head of an international hydra of terrorists. I always suspected this to be the case and the programme confirmed my suspicions. Now you can take that any way you want: the fact remains that you continue to believe in a fantasy that would not look out of place in a James Bond film.

Johnny Canuck2 said:
Only if you admit that you're in no postition to comment on my ability or inability to understand some point made by Baudrillard.

Praytell, what is your point Canuck? Baudrillard has sweet fuck all to do with art!

nino_savatte said:
If you think you're right I won't tell you otherwise - it might harm your development.

Going back and forth with you three or four posts, and it dawns on one that it's like following a blindfolded guy into a labyrinth.

Johnny Canuck2 said:
Going back and forth with you three or four posts, and it dawns on one that it's like following a blindfolded guy into a labyrinth.

That's only because you make it that way, me auld fruit.

Johnny Canuck2 said:

Thats why I pay no attention to him.

Ah Gents

ERK!! Bugger, she aint logged out again, Fuck, tis me that Hippy Bastard.

Al Q only ever existed as an idea, not as some sort of SPECTRE/SMERSH set up of bad boys that the CIA could waste
The Muslim Brotherhood is the root and core of their ideas, when they got dispersed, well what was left to crush?
Its a bit like trying to smash mecury
That big puddle just spreads into little drops
But then it coalesced from little drops in the first place
It is not a rigid heirachial structure
They learned that while fighting the Ruskies, structures like that are asy to break
Its a set of ideas, and to the best of my knowledge, ideas are not easy to kill by physical means, however "smart" your munitions.
To use Management Consultant speak
"9/11 was a project and the Jihadis are a project based grouping, where new teams are formed as new projects occur."
It aint like a corporation boys, they have no Logo, no marketing team, very little by the way of long term strategy, etc
What the do have is the power to make the US overeact, thus encouraging more people to take up arms against you. Sadly, you have fallen into it.
Al Q is a thought, and they seem to date to be better thinkers than those in and around the White House
As for Iran, isn't one repeat of Vietnam at a time enough for you?

Pickman's model said:
there are unions for those working in the mass media. that you have chosen not to join one indicates - to me, at least - that you at best share anita roddick's view that unions are only necessary where bosses are real shits, and that you therefore have some rosy-eyed views about the people you work/have worked for: which in such a cut-throat industry strikes me as somewhat naive.
When are you going to finish shoving your fucking idiotic words down my mouth?

It's an irritating, offensive habit and makes you look like some sad, attention-seeking fuck trying to pick a fight from a position of utter cluelessness.

You know absolutely fuck all about my opinions on unions and your laughable attempts to manufacture bizarre comparisons with Anite Roddick deserves nothing but contempt.

And why you think you're in a position to lecture me about my supposed 'naive' views on people I work for is anyone's guess, but seeing as you know precisely fuck all about my them or the circumstances of my work, I suggest you stick to talking about something you do know about.

Like signing on, for example.

Or being a tedious, nit-picking pedantic bore who thinks it's clever to correct other people's words whilst regularly posting up moronic mis-spellings (or should that be 'moronick'?).

When was the last time you actually worked and were part of a union by the way?

Back
Top Bottom