Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Queue Watch: Dedicated BBC Queue Tracking discussion and analysis - HRH Her Majesty the Queen (Dec'd)

I'll admit I'm finding looking at the BBC live feed of the hall now and then quite interesting - I guess I was a bit curious to see what the arrangement was, though a million miles away from being interested enough to go. I guess you don't get the 'atmosphere', but I think the feed will be enough for most people.

Interesting that I'd say a preponderance of older women (ie, my age and up) seem to be there.
I’m becoming weirdly obsessed with it. I’m excited to get home from work so I can watch it. 🤣🤣

I’m becoming weirdly obsessed with it. I’m excited to get home from work so I can watch it. 🤣🤣
14k+ people watching it mid morning today. Odd watching people not being sure what to do - it looks like people have been told they can stop momentarily by the coffin and some people put their head down and/or bow, and some women attempt a curtsey, though no one actually knows how to do one. It makes me think of a line from one of our kids' 'Mr Gum' books where there heroine doesn't know what to do when meeting someone important, so she spins around and yells 'CURTSEY!'

One of the many reasons I wouldn't or shouldn't see the coffin would be the very strong temptation to spin around and yell 'CURTSEY!'

14k+ people watching it mid morning today. Odd watching people not being sure what to do - it looks like people have been told they can stop momentarily by the coffin and some people put their head down and/or bow, and some women attempt a curtsey, though no one actually knows how to do one. It makes me think of a line from one of our kids' 'Mr Gum' books where there heroine doesn't know what to do when meeting someone important, so she spins around and yells 'CURTSEY!'

One of the many reasons I wouldn't or shouldn't see the coffin would be the very strong temptation to spin around and yell 'CURTSEY!'
This is one of the few times when you have an opportunity to point out that 'curtsey' is derived from 'courtesy' without having to awkwardly crowbar it into conversation.

This is outrageous. Inevitable, but still. Furious.

Some people have been cashing in on the Queen's lying in state by selling used wristbands for up to £350.

Those joining the queue receive coloured wristbands to mark their place - so they can leave for a drink, or to go to the toilet, and then return.

But it appears that some mourners have seen the system as an opportunity to make some cash by selling the wristbands as souvenirs on eBay.

One person has listed an orange wristband, which features the abbreviation LISQ (Lying In State Queue), with an asking price of £350.

Small print on the paper band specifies that it does not guarantee entry and is strictly non-transferable. But in the description the seller has listed it as 'brand new' and 'never been used'.

Another seller has listed a similar wristband for £100, while a third person is selling a yellow band - plus a bundle of commemorative newspapers - for £122. A fourth seller has put their ripped green band on the site for £100.

The item was accompanied by the description: 'Previously used or worn orange wristband from the first 24 hours of the Queen Laying-In-State in Westminster Hall. This wristband gained entry to the original wearer to pay their respects to Queen Elizabeth.

'This is a piece of history. A small piece yet still a piece of history and this is your chance to own it if you did not have the chance to come yourself.

'The queue to pay respects to the Queen Lying-In-State may be London's longest. It took 7-8 hours from joining the queue to finally pay respects to the late Queen.'

The seller said they were happy to send the item internationally but specified that it was being sold as 'historical memorabilia only.'

They stressed that 50 per cent of the final profit will be donated to the British Red Cross which Queen Elizabeth was the longest serving patron of.

Another person is trying to flog their orange wristband for the slightly lower price of £82.

The cheapest band currently listed on the site is up for grabs for £10.

The seller promised to donate 20 per cent of the final price to The Dogs Trust to reflect the Queen's love of animals.

Official guidance published by the government states: 'When you reach the back of the queue, you will be given a coloured and numbered wristband.

'This is a record of when you joined the queue, however please note that having a wristband does not guarantee your entry to the Lying-in-State.

'Wristbands are specific to each person joining the queue, and are strictly non-transferable. You must keep this wristband on at all times as it will be checked along the route.

'Your wristband also allows you to leave the queue for a short period to use a toilet or get refreshments, then return to your place in the queue.'

What's to stop you getting one of these bands then pissing off until your place is near the front?
System works at Alton Towers and DisneyWorld, if they can operate a virtual queue it's shameful that HM Govt can't.

They've basically broken the world into a grid of 1m squares and assigned each one a 3 word short code, the idea it's easier to say Horse.Battery.Staple than 123 Some Street, Some Town, SW1 1AA or give a grid reference. It's a simple idea but unfortunately relies on a private company that's going to charge for access once it's established, so shit like this helps it get established and then in a years time they'll be charging the gov a fee every time some one calls 999 and uses it to describe their location. It's utter bollocks and the kind of thing that should be open source or not used.
I haven't looked at this thread for a while, but those what3words works, as soon as I read Horse.Battery.Staple I knew this was the reference: Password Strength

ETA there isn't a What3words for horse.battery.staple but horses.battery.staple is in the far north of Canada. ///horses.battery.staple

Back
Top Bottom