Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Queen Death: Thread for unhinged Tweets, opinions and behaviour

I think the whole coffin show would be improved immeasurably by having an open coffin, like they did at the lying-in-state of John Paul II. I would queue up for that!

Have youse spoken with your union branches about this? Just did a quick check to compare, and for instance, this is what York are doing:
If everyone at York is getting an extra day of paid leave, and people at your campus aren't, that's a bit fucked and something your local branches should be raising.
We are moving all welcome week stuff to Tuesday - Friday, nothing is going on here on Monday

What about Britannia?

Closed already and will remain closed until the end of the official mourning.

When they got the ship, there was some agreement made that they would still observe aspects of Royal protocol, like it was still in service.

Don’t think it’s even an option to request for a lot of people. They’ll be paid a double day and get it back as an extra day of annual leave.

The funeral itself we’re showing on a big screen, so I’m guessing most things will come to a halt for a couple of hours. But other than that, there’s lots of activity that can’t be stopped - shuttle buses from airports, arrival registrations, welcome talks and so on. And various food/beverage outlets open to keep everyone going. The sheer numbers of students involved means a lot can’t simply be moved to another day.

Or, they are on the rota to work that day, they could ask for the day off but they won't get paid for it if they don't work it, and there's no such thing as bank holidays in their workplace let alone extra pay for working a designated bank holiday.

I used to get paid bank holidays off when I was in the civil service, but most people these days in other sectors don't - it's either a case of you work the day on normal wages, or you don't work that shift and you don't get paid for it.

I think people underestimate how many people are paid hourly/per shift or on zero hours contracts rather than on a salary these days.

Well they’ve been driving the carcass around for a bit for the people to have a look at. Won’t it start to smell a bit now?
"Qin Shi Huang died in 210 B.C. while touring eastern China. Officials traveling with him wanted to keep it secret, so to disguise the stench of his corpse, filled up 10 carts with fish to travel with his body."
Borrow a trick from the early Chinese empire.

Won’t it start to smell a bit now?

Nope

As Royal Family members are buried inside a chamber, rather than directly in the ground, their coffins are lined with lead in order to slow decomposition. The lead seals the coffin and prevents moisture from getting in, preserving the body for up to a year.

Nope

Typical British establishment.

Spoiling all the fun.

I preferred the ten carts of fish solution myself.
Would've been really funny because they'd had to have sped up the carcass' tour round the land as the smell increased.

In terms of volunteering (I do environmental work, not a foodbank), I do Fridays so not affected. Actually very little seems to have been affected at the place I volunteer.

However you can't just have volunteers in to run an operation, there are requirements (which may be legal or contractual) in terms of staff being on the premises to supervise who are DBS checked, having a first-aider available, risk assessments which may state that people need to work in pairs for safety which means a complete rejigging of rotas etc.

For some organisations without a lot of give in terms of staff time to co-ordinate volunteer rotas at short notice with the travel disruption and a few not turning up, it might be easier to close for the day than rework everything.

And let's not be too harsh on people who turn up to places and donate their labour to help others.

Last edited:
Actually this really pisses me off.

On the 19th I'll be recovering from a night shift and my landlord wants to examine my unit to test the fire alarm in the morning (means no sleep for me). And my place is a bachelor shit hole which means I'll have to clean the place before he comes in.

And Trudeau's just declared it a bank holiday so I'll not get any extra money as I'm not sure I'm considered working.

And it's international speak like a pirate day so I won't be at work to take the piss.

But y'know Madge.

And Trudeau's just declared it a bank holiday so I'll not get any extra money as I'm not sure I'm considered working.

No, you are wrong.

Trudeau declared a federal holiday, federal employees get the day off.

BC is closing the schools, but that is all they are doing. The other provinces will continue as usual.

Sorry about getting your day disrupted by the fire alarm testing. Hubby used to work the midnight shift, so I really do understand.

Trudeau is giving money to people who are eligible for a gst rebate.
I hope you get some of it, we do not qualify.

No, you are wrong.

Trudeau declared a federal holiday, federal employees get the day off.

BC is closing the schools, but that is all they are doing. The other provinces will continue as usual.

Sorry about getting your day disrupted by the fire alarm testing. Hubby used to work the midnight shift, so I really do understand.

Trudeau is giving money to people who are eligible for a gst rebate.
I hope you get some of it, we do not qualify.
Okey dokey.

Yeah I do. Why would a food bank - an essential service for destitute people - worry about being judged for staying open? it doesn't make any sense.
In my opinion it would be the opposite. Staying open to help people who are struggling could/would be seen as an act of significant altruism. "Even though we had to miss the funeral we stayed open because it was more important to help and support those who need us."

TBF, people are like that with the Mona Lisa in the Louvre, which got me thinking (off topic), what is this country's foremost museum/gallery masterpiece? For all the stolen shit, is there anything so universally popular that spectators can only observe it for minutes/seconds before rejoining a queue?

Appropriately but sadly I imagine it's the crown jewels. Although for foremost masterpiece substitute 'most touristy single thingy'.

Back
Top Bottom