Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Queen Death: Thread for unhinged Tweets, opinions and behaviour

Food banks are mostly staffed by volunteers, not sure what option they'd have but to close if their usual staff are all home weeping in front of the telly
Do you really think that's it?
All this is performative isn't it? Going through the motion's for fear of being seen not to?

I took it as general frustration with the whole thing and the way people are acting pushed the foisbank towards closing.
Yeah, I was a bit hasty, harsh and pished. I don't know whether they and others are closing out of some panic that everyone has to fall in line, shortage of volunteers or what. But those who volunteer are doing a lifesaving job.

Do you really think that's it?
All this is performative isn't it? Going through the motion's for fear of being seen not to?
Yeah I do. Why would a food bank - an essential service for destitute people - worry about being judged for staying open? it doesn't make any sense.

Yeah I do. Why would a food bank - an essential service for destitute people - worry about being judged for staying open? it doesn't make any sense.

Food banks close on bank holidays, Monday is a bank holiday. Presumably a mix of volunteer shortages and supply chain disruption. The tweet is dressed up to be polite and “pay respects”

It’s all last minute so it’s going to mess people about a bit but it’s standard procedure for them to close

My pure guess is that the decisions to close were made at the level of the cross town management committee, rather than the volunteers for specific foodbanks. Particularly given the subsequent U turn. Perhaps a slightly cack handed application of the 'we always shut on a bank holiday' rule.

Maybe I'm in a bit of a bubble but I don't see lots of people turning round and saying their are too grief striken (or just too desperate to watch the funeral) to be able to do their normal volunteering helping givr food to those who need it.

People "saying" to get out of work, maybe.

Maybe I'm in a bit of a bubble but I don't see lots of people turning round and saying their are too grief striken (or just too desperate to watch the funeral) to be able to do their normal volunteering helping givr food to those who need it.

People "saying" to get out of work, maybe.
Volunteers at my local foodbank are mostly old dears who are IME more likely to be into the whole royal shit than people of my generation who don't give much of a fuck

For the food banks it's probably that public transport will be disrupted and a lot of the volunteers will need it to get there. And so will most of the users. I mean, that's why they usually close on bank holidays.

I think they must often do it on a Monday (a lot of them round here do) because that's both when people need it most and it means the sorting, which is the biggest job, can be done at the weekend when there are more volunteers, but being in a church hall like most of them are means opening to the public to give out the donations at the weekend probably isn't feasible.

Back
Top Bottom