Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Queen Death: Thread for unhinged Tweets, opinions and behaviour

We've just been sent the email - no holiday for NHS staff. Or at least in our Trust. The exact quote is "our Trust can think of no greater tribute to Her Majesty than putting patients first".
When I took the phone call from the poor woman in the orthopaedic department told to ring around to those of us who've lost out appointments because of the monarchical demise she sounded so down about the task that I cheered her a little by enthusiastically offering to come in for my appt. regardless. She raised half a laugh and then said sorry but....

Lol, I take it you don't work in a hospital?

No but trying to get a blood test or routine surgery on a weekend is a pain in the absolute fucking arse. I managed to get a hearing test at the local one on a Sunday a few weeks ago and the place was fucking dead as a doornail and its the first time I've had a weekend ppointment in 20 odd years of an assortment of health conditions.

They don't shut down by any stretch and I'm not saying they do but very few of them do appointments outside of core hours except for absolute emergencies. If your lucky the big ones do blood tests. A&E never sleeps of course.

Last edited:
I have, but not during a moment quite like this. There is government guidance published in the last day or so which recommends employers should try to accommodate staff who want time off for the funeral. It's in all the papers. People who might otherwise not feel confident to ask for the day off might feel differently under the current circumstances. And employers who otherwise might turn such requests down out of hand might also feel differently if there's a chance they'll be shamed for it next week.

Yeah well government advice is worth the paper its printed on.

Oh wait, its all digital now.

A large percentage of the people working on my campus have to be in. Students start arriving from Saturday, including internationals, so we can’t just shut down.
Ditto mine, Teesside, a significant minority at least. Library and anybody involved in 'welcoming' new students have to be in.
Have youse spoken with your union branches about this? Just did a quick check to compare, and for instance, this is what York are doing:
Public holiday Monday 19 September

We will be operating our normal public holiday procedures for Monday 19 September, which is the extraordinary national holiday on the day of the State Funeral.

• Staff who would normally be working on this day, but are not required to work, will take the day as an additional public holiday day.
  • Staff who would normally work a part day, but are not required to work, will be given an additional leave allowance pro-rata with their FTE.
  • Academic, teaching, research and support staff who are needed to maintain the University's core activities on 19 September 2022 will be required to work as normal. You will be granted one additional day of leave in lieu, to be taken in agreement with your line manager. This will be pro-rata for part time staff.
If everyone at York is getting an extra day of paid leave, and people at your campus aren't, that's a bit fucked and something your local branches should be raising.

I have, but not during a moment quite like this. There is government guidance published in the last day or so which recommends employers should try to accommodate staff who want time off for the funeral. It's in all the papers. People who might otherwise not feel confident to ask for the day off might feel differently under the current circumstances. And employers who otherwise might turn such requests down out of hand might also feel differently if there's a chance they'll be shamed for it next week.

you have read that the government has stated that their is not regulatory reason for employers to give people a day off for this one
so many small companies can say use your own holiday if you want it off

also employers are not obliged to give out you time in lieu or a higher rate for working bank holidays
it all dependant on the contract you sign up to

worker rights in this country are shite and getting worse

you have read that the government has stated that their is not regulatory reason for employers to give people a day off for this one
so many small companies can say use your own holiday if you want it off

also employers are not obliged to give out you time in lieu or a higher rate for working bank holidays
it all dependant on the contract you sign up to

worker rights in this country are shite and getting worse

Yeah, this and the short time frame this has been rammed through means a hodge podge of different plans are in place. I'm actually surprised supermarkets are shutting down so much but I imagine thats mostly a PR thing.

Reactions: Ax^
Have youse spoken with your union branches about this? Just did a quick check to compare, and for instance, this is what York are doing:
If everyone at York is getting an extra day of paid leave, and people at your campus aren't, that's a bit fucked and something your local branches should be raising.
Mrs B's University is closing for the day too fwiw

The fucking cunts. Pretty much everything I've seen before has been idiotic nonsense like the Norwich bikestand malarkey. This is, literally, the people charged with doling out charity saying we'll starve people for a day so we don't get excused of not being onboard. Astonishing. Cunts.
Does anyone have a screenshot of the cunts in question

“staff who are needed to maintain the University's core activities on 19 September 2022 will be required to work as normal”

Which is pretty much what our place is doing. Welcoming students for a new term - with all the infrastructure/support requirements that entails - is about as core an activity as you can get.

Yeah, this and the short time frame this has been rammed through means a hodge podge of different plans are in place. I'm actually surprised supermarkets are shutting down so much but I imagine thats mostly a PR thing.

think the schools reaction has been the driving force behind people getting a day off otherwise it would be a working bank holiday
for my small company at least the HR whos reaction to small number of people being will to work in the office during the start pandemic was "you are getting paid aren't you"

has got a gaggle of kids and grandchildren

“staff who are needed to maintain the University's core activities on 19 September 2022 will be required to work as normal”

Which is pretty much what our place is doing. Welcoming students for a new term - with all the infrastructure/support requirements that entails - is about as core an activity as you can get.
Yeah, but are they doing this bit?
You will be granted one additional day of leave in lieu, to be taken in agreement with your line manager.
There's a big difference between "required to work as normal in exchange for an additional day's leave in lieu" and "required to work as normal", if it's just the latter then they're taking the piss.

View attachment 342602

I hope there has not been a misunderstanding when you asked for a screenshot of cunts. I’m assuming you’re referring to this Foodbank. I’m not sure they’re cunts.

aye not sure you can call foodbank workers who would tend to be a older crowd as a bunch of cunts for taking time off for a event like
this i'm not a royalist but ffs the volunteers who do great work the rest of the year

Yeah, but are they doing this bit?
You will be granted one additional day of leave in lieu, to be taken in agreement with your line manager.
There's a big difference between "required to work as normal in exchange for an additional day's leave in lieu" and "required to work as normal", if it's just the latter then they're taking the piss.
I already said any staff working will be on double pay as well as getting the day back as additional leave…

FcintTyXgAESeKW

Back
Top Bottom