Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Queen Death: Thread for unhinged Tweets, opinions and behaviour

No-one wants to be in the papers next week after forcing their staff to come in on the day of the funeral. Anyone who wants a day off Monday gets one.
Well, yeah, that's it, not that they can't drag their staff in. And of course lots of people will end up losing money by not being able to work,

They don't have enough staff prepared to come in to open I'll wager. Everyone I know in the service industry is totally on - often over - the edge staff-wise atm. And it's impossible to source temp staff at this kind of notice
They'd surely be able to get a skeleton staff if they offered the right rate.

It's just another shitshow, this time with added royalist sprinkles, that shows exactly where the class struggle is at.

No-one wants to be in the papers next week after forcing their staff to come in on the day of the funeral. Anyone who wants a day off Monday gets one.
We've just been sent the email - no holiday for NHS staff. Or at least in our Trust. The exact quote is "our Trust can think of no greater tribute to Her Majesty than putting patients first".

A large percentage of the people working on my campus have to be in. Students start arriving from Saturday, including internationals, so we can’t just shut down.

And any number of other things that can't just stop at short notice. Schools are closing but that kicks up a huge childcare issue. It'll be the third short-notice closure this year for many families too, after one for the storm of doom and one for the heatwave of doom.

A large percentage of the people working on my campus have to be in. Students start arriving from Saturday, including internationals, so we can’t just shut down.
Ditto mine, Teesside, a significant minority at least. Library and anybody involved in 'welcoming' new students have to be in.

are they turning down people's requests for the day off?
Don’t think it’s even an option to request for a lot of people. They’ll be paid a double day and get it back as an extra day of annual leave.

The funeral itself we’re showing on a big screen, so I’m guessing most things will come to a halt for a couple of hours. But other than that, there’s lots of activity that can’t be stopped - shuttle buses from airports, arrival registrations, welcome talks and so on. And various food/beverage outlets open to keep everyone going. The sheer numbers of students involved means a lot can’t simply be moved to another day.

We've just been sent the email - no holiday for NHS staff. Or at least in our Trust. The exact quote is "our Trust can think of no greater tribute to Her Majesty than putting patients first".
Dry laugh :D What about those of us grieving for Her Maj :mad:

Have you ever done a job at all?
I have, but not during a moment quite like this. There is government guidance published in the last day or so which recommends employers should try to accommodate staff who want time off for the funeral. It's in all the papers. People who might otherwise not feel confident to ask for the day off might feel differently under the current circumstances. And employers who otherwise might turn such requests down out of hand might also feel differently if there's a chance they'll be shamed for it next week.

Back
Top Bottom