Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Queen: A completist listening of their oeuvre

Saw them support Uriah Heap or some other awful band in Middlesborough Crypt . I only went because my mate was going with his girlfriend and she wanted to bring a woman friend. I quite liked Sevens Seas of Rye but that was about it. Never bought a record of theirs and never rated them to be perfectly honest.

Last night was 'The Game'... certainly the most accessible and even one so far. :thumbs:

I'm finding the spotify Country music mix with Kenny Rodgers and Dolly Parton a good counterpoint to Queen.

Last night was 'The Game'... certainly the most accessible and even one so far. :thumbs:

Interesting. I just gave it another go, as it's always been stuck in my head as 'not great', and I think my issue with it was how brief it felt, like a collection of tracks they'd written up until that point just to get another album out. There's some good stuff on there for sure, but it's quite a short album, and I just can't get over how odd Brian May looks dressed up as a biker in leathers and shades. I think Freddie had very much reached his 'lover of life' epithet by that point, so I wonder if the whole thing seemed a bit underwhelming for that reason. To me at least.

In chronological order. Currently up to 'News of the World'.

Has to be said it's been more hard work than I was suspecting...the first two 'Queen' and 'Queen II' really are odd and hard work. Things only seem to kick in with 'A Night at the Opera'..

:hmm:
Does this include live at penzance when they were the roger Taylor ensemble

1674428951515.png

Hmm - fell to sleep last night trying to listen to this. "Hot Space" - the 10th studio album.

Seems to have been conntroversial within the band based on the wikipedia entry:

"Disliking the new sound, Brian May and Taylor were critical of the influence that Paul Prenter, Freddie Mercury's personal manager between 1977 and 1984, had on the singer.[12] Recalling the recording process in 2011, Taylor openly criticized the direction in which Prenter was taking Mercury (and thus the rest of the band), stating that "[Prenter] wanted our music to sound like you'd just walked in a gay bar...and I didn't"."

:weed::weed::weed::weed::weed:

It would be a shame to sign off this thread with 'Hot Space'.. so last couple of days has been 'The Works'.

1674653396511.png

This has aged very well. Aside from the singles, some real stand-out album tracks.. After the misdirection of 'Hot Space', they cut the crap, and simply rock on this album. :cool::cool:

I would argue that without doubt this is their best work... their magnum opus. End of.. :oldthumbsup:

Queen are really marmite with me. I like some of the 80s hits like One Vision, Another One Bites The Dust and It's A Kind Of Magic but I can't stand all the operatic shite and naff 70s duel guitar licks like on Don't Stop me Now and Killer Queen. They make me feel ill.

Killer Queen and Don't Stop Me Now are both somewhere in their best top 20 tracks ffs.
Where do you stand on Seven Seas of Rhye or Fat Bottomed Girls?

View attachment 360495

Hmm - fell to sleep last night trying to listen to this. "Hot Space" - the 10th studio album.

Seems to have been conntroversial within the band based on the wikipedia entry:

"Disliking the new sound, Brian May and Taylor were critical of the influence that Paul Prenter, Freddie Mercury's personal manager between 1977 and 1984, had on the singer.[12] Recalling the recording process in 2011, Taylor openly criticized the direction in which Prenter was taking Mercury (and thus the rest of the band), stating that "[Prenter] wanted our music to sound like you'd just walked in a gay bar...and I didn't"."

Quite like that one, but overall it's Queen II for the win.

Back
Top Bottom