Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Opera: What are you listening to now?

An opera I don't know and am keen to know. The opera is based on something really grim and dark yet It includes this aria which many will recognise, a thing of beauty as well. Check out this staging though 😮

Going to see Handel's 'Agrippina' next week as put on by the opera group my dad's chair of. Apparently this one is set in Silicon Valley and, given the timing, they are billing it as 'The coronation that goes wrong' :D

Agrippina.jpg

hash tag - Gianni Schicchi is a black comedy about grasping relatives, very funny when done right. It's often done as the conclusion what's known as 'Il Trittico' , 3 one-act Puccini operas where it appears after 'Il Tabarro' (The Cloak), 'Suor Angelica' (Sister Angelica, and shameless but effective tear jerker). I've sung in an amateur production of Suor Angelica which was, unusually, presented alongside Walton's 'The Bear' and Gilbert & Sullivan's 'Trial by Jury'

Last edited:
SER=60982]hash tag[/USER] - Gianni Schicchi is a black comedy about grasping relatives, very funny when done right. It's often done as the conclusion what's known as 'Il Trittico' , 3 one-act Puccini operas where it appears after 'Il Tabarro' (The Cloak), 'Suor Angelica' (Sister Angelica, and shameless but effective tear jerker). I've sung in an amateur production of Suor Angelica which was, unusually, presented alongside Walton's 'The Bear' and Gilbert & Sullivan's 'Trial by Jury'
Drawn to it because of its connection to Dante.
I suspect my next so called opera will be Iolanthe. Who knows.

I do recommend the ENO Iolanthe, very funny indeed.

I saw Agrippina last night, it was excellent, still a couple more performances left, highly recommended

I do recommend the ENO Iolanthe, very funny indeed.

I saw Agrippina last night, it was excellent, still a couple more performances left, highly recommended
Yes, it's on in September when family are here. It's a bit thin, but hey

Saw Das Rheingold last night at ROH (conducted by Pappano). Very good production; I’ve only seen it once before (earlier this year at ENO) and much preferred this.

Running finishes 29 September. There are still tickets left but not ‘cheap’ ones unfortunately. Cheapest is £64 on 17th matinee.

Have recently been to see Amadeus on stage recently we have been listening to quite a lot of Mozart. Have just booked to go and see the magic flute again.

Back
Top Bottom