Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Queen: A completist listening of their oeuvre

Hollis

bloody furious
In chronological order. Currently up to 'News of the World'.

Has to be said it's been more hard work than I was suspecting...the first two 'Queen' and 'Queen II' really are odd and hard work. Things only seem to kick in with 'A Night at the Opera'..

:hmm:

Initially read this title as "Queen: A completist listing of their oeuvre". Not sure what I was expecting, maybe something like:
Post 1: Keep Yourself Alive
Post 2: Doing All Right
Post 3: Great King Rat

etc etc

Completely agree. This thread could be so much better.

:(

Thread shoud've started at the beginning. Each album probably justifies a week's discussion and analysis in its own right. That should take as to late April when we can all be singing along to 'Made in Heaven'.

:):)

In chronological order. Currently up to 'News of the World'.

Has to be said it's been more hard work than I was suspecting...the first two 'Queen' and 'Queen II' really are odd and hard work. Things only seem to kick in with 'A Night at the Opera'..

:hmm:
I know what you mean, although Sheer Heart Attack is probably the earliest place you spot the Queen they went on to become. Especially the Brian May guitar extravaganza in Brighton Rock.

Don’t forget that they had been playing in different bands for quite a while before their first Queen album, so Queen 1 for example contains some material from Brian and Roger’s earlier band ‘Smile’ as well as Freddie’s band ‘Ibex’. I often see it and Queen 2 as them getting out of their system and onto tape all the music they’d carted round with them live for years beforehand, before they then went on to become more established in what Queen became.

That said some of the backstories to the songs in those first two albums are worth reading, songs like the Fairy Feller’s Master Stroke, My Fairy King and White Queen for example. Both albums take a good few listens to get into though, and I still don’t often revisit them.

As well as the above defences of those albums, I’d also encourage you to hold some of your displeasure back for when you reach Hot Space. The Game is a few good tracks interspersed with nonsense as well. The band went through some odd times in the early 1980’s, thanks to some of Freddie’s extravagances. See also their memories of recording the video for It’s A Hard Life.

Still though, now you’ve listened to all of Night at the Opera, which do you think is better, Bohemian Rhapsody or The Prophet’s Song?

I listened to Queen loads as 15/16 year old but other than Greatest Hits, The Works, A Kind of Magic and Live Magic I didn't delve into their albums, even though I was a full album listener with Marillion and Dire Straits at the time.

Back
Top Bottom