Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Post-referendum HandWringo™!

Is there a book running yet on declared destinations for our I'm leaving this shithole huffer friends?

Seem to come up quite frequently:
  • Ireland
  • Scotland
  • Canada
  • Australia

Any others?

This is currently being shared with great enthusiasm. * It could change everything.*

'From the guardians comments section:

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?
The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

....lots of similar bollocks. Who knew?

Scotland's looking like quite a popular option. :(
Scotland goes to welcome its freshly arrived new citizens from England:

hqdefault.jpg

Have a read of the comments on these thoughtful honest pieces:

Meet 10 Britons who voted to leave the EU

There is a high correlation between those voting brexit and low educational attainment plus being older, as well as voting brexit to oppose immigration.

There is a very high correlation between voting Remain, having higher intelligence and degree level education and being younger.

So in essence the future of this country was decided by old, stupid, Ill educated bigots against the wishes of those who will have to live in his country after the generation who forced them to leave the EU against their wishes will be dead.

This older generation sits in houses with inflated values whilst the young generation now has zero chance of home ownership. It also enjoys triple locked pensions and final salary pensions which the young starting out in work now will never receive.

Britain's poorly educated reactionary older people are, with the exception of a laudable minority who voted Remain, guilty of incredible selfishness, bigotry and greed.

Go gently into that good night you bigots. The sooner, the better.

"And immigrants usually come fully reared and often well educated. From a narrow monetary point of view they are a much better deal than babies."

Manages to dehumanise immigrants, mothers and children whilst sounding smug and liberal at the same time, in tweet size. Amazing.

The Handwringers party are trying to get in on the act.

Liberal Democrats pledge to ignore referendum result and keep Britain in the EU

The Liberal Democrats will stand at the next general election on a platform of derailing Brexit and keeping Britain in the European Union, the party has announced.

Leader Tim Farron said on Saturday night that he would be “clear and unequivocal” with voters that if elected it would set aside the referendum result and keep Britain in the EU.

He said the referendum result amounted to a “howl of anger” at politicians and that the election of a liberal government would be a way of registering a change of heart by the electorate

lol.

Leader Tim Farron said on Saturday night that he would be “clear and unequivocal” with voters that if elected it would set aside the referendum result and keep Britain in the EU.

He said the referendum result amounted to a “howl of anger” at politicians and that the election of a liberal government would be a way of registering a change of heart by the electorate.

No change of heart from the political class then; presumably not needed. People have had their 'howl' now let's get back to business as usual; this seems a hugely dangerous approach even if your desire is for more of the same.

Cheers - Louis MacNeice

Is it?

I'm not sure. I don't have any answers, and this isn't specific to this issue, but a decision based on a slim majority maybe ought be handled a little differently? Maybe not immediately go ahead just as if the result was much higher?

True democracy resides in majority rule, not "majority rule except when I don't like the results".

This is currently being shared with great enthusiasm. * It could change everything.*

'From the guardians comments section:

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?
The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

....lots of similar bollocks. Who knew?
But as far as I know it isn't binding. That's not to say the Tories will refuse to enact article 50. However the point in that comment section (which is quote from a blog because I recall reading it) also say that it will be up to the new PM to enact it and that they may not want to. Cameron isn't the one that will push the button and so Boris, if he wins, will have to be the one to do the job.

FWIW :D

Results this close, regardless of who won, are not a victor for true democracy. There has to be a better way to resolve things than simply arguing 51% or above win.

I think you need to read up on the descriptions of "democracy", particularly those applying to politics and government.

I think you need to read up on the descriptions of "democracy", particularly those applying to politics and government.
What specifically are you referring to?

I'm not suggesting the result be set aside. I'm simply suggesting that, in cases where the result is this close, that maybe we try and find a different way in the future.

'All the people saying "we need to move on now and be friends and be happy that democracy had its day"...

Firstly, there are many occasions in history where a democratic election has led to disastrous consequences, such as in 1930s Germany or the election of criminal US President Richard Nixon to name just two. They had the majority vote among their population, but we look back with bewilderment now as to how these awful men manipulated people into following them. We are thinking about how this will be viewed in hindsight. We're allowed to be pessimistic.'

I've been described as a far left chip on shoulder idealist arsehole by someone on Facebook who is pro London Independence and renounced her British ness to be just a European Scottish Londoner, for daring to suggest this isn't entirely Corbyns fault and 'huge swathes' of the country aren't desperate for a 'middle of the road' win.

I wanted to point her here to suggest that as a remain voter I'm surely a smug liberal.:thumbs:

A rollercoaster came off the rails in Scotland. Will there be more of this sort of thing?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom