Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Post random pics of your CD/vinyl/cassette collection

Interesting thread even though I have no serious interest in music (I only own a radio!). Are you white British ska invita ? How did your interest in music from that bit of the world start?
I'm from Germany.

In 2018 I had a sponsorship by the Goethe Institute (a German cultural body with links to the arts council) to travel to Yemen and collaborate and perform with local musicians. I went in cold, not knowing anything about the music or the country, but loved it there and hated the mission I was on: Playing for diplomats and pleasing NGO types. So we returned the following year independently, travelled the country with our musical friends we'd met the year before, played weddings, learned about music and recording a lot of stuff. We were passed around like a parcel, sent to different parts of the country, and were looked after by tribes and sheiks. I learned a lot about a culture and a kind of music I knew nothing about before.

littleseb I really like your music posts / videos on this thread. Always liked that music.
Have you ever heard of Sean Nos singing? It's a very old Irish style. No accompaniment. But it always reminds me of eastern, middle eastern styles too.

I love that!!!
I never heard of it before but will def investigate further.
Just skim read the article, will read in more detail when I have time.

Thanks Sugar Kane!

ska do you still dj, covid permitting?
Yes but I'm totally digitalised now - i love it
i dont really have any sentimental attachment to physical formats now
i sometimes buy a record purely to rip it and then it goes on the shelf
records are too expensive for me anyway to treat seriously
also records should be getting played not gathering dust.... i feel i should send them back into the wild
and ive come to hate clutter. if its not being used why have it.

at the latest one day i'll be dead and they will go, i could make some serious money off them in the meantime and actually get a lot of enjoyment out of that cash. i havent travelled much for example.
...and yet despite every logical thought saying Sell, i cant bring myself to...yet.

if i were ever to get a booking for a vinyl only set i might do so but it would be with reluctance and would really limit what i can play - ive probably 30 times the music collection digitally than i have on vinyl.

id probably start with the dance stuff and hold back on the reggae, especially 7s, as thats still fun to play in that fashion with a bit of crackle and pop etc not that i am doing that at the moment.

90s dance prices are sky high at the moment.... impossible to know what the future will bring, but i reckon they might be at their peak...i doubt future generations will give as much of a fuck as this one coming through now who covet it

also records should be getting played not gathering dust.... i feel i should send them back into the wild

at the latest one day i'll be dead and they will go, i could make some serious money off them in the meantime and actually get a lot of enjoyment out of that cash. i havent travelled much for example.
...and yet despite every logical thought saying Sell, i cant bring myself to...yet.

if i were ever to get a booking for a vinyl only set i might do so but it would be with reluctance and would really limit what i can play - ive probably 30 times the music collection digitally than i have on vinyl.

id probably start with the dance stuff and hold back on the reggae, especially 7s, as thats still fun to play in that fashion with a bit of crackle and pop etc not that i am doing that at the moment.

90s dance prices are sky high at the moment.... impossible to know what the future will bring, but i reckon they might be at their peak...i doubt future generations will give as much of a fuck as this one coming through now who covet it
I had similar thoughts about my vinyl. Then, for a while, all I had to play music on was a dodgy Dansette which fucked most of my records, rendering them worthless. So that decision has been taken off me.
I still have a pile of 7s and 10s (mainly reggae) for djing that I love and would like to expand on.
When we did a lot of touring 2-4 years ago there was regular djing attached to it for after the gigs and on local radios. A dub set on vinyl always blew the kids away, so I'll stick with that for now.

I love that!!!
I never heard of it before but will def investigate further.
Just skim read the article, will read in more detail when I have time.

Thanks Sugar Kane!

👍

There's plenty Sean Nos on youtube now. It was dying away for a while and it was at one time a topic for researchers etc and universities who went out recording what they could.
Now it's enjoying revival and young singers are involved...keeping it alive.

If you're interested in the links and Atlanteum.. and you can put up with the rather Beeb narrator on this video...from the 80s I think? If you can get through the patronising bit fpr the first few minutes 🙂
It's worth a look. The links between Ireland and Middle East and North Africa as seafaring travellers going right back 1000s of years.

Eta...the prick narrating is irritating and patronising.
Be warned. But the people interviewed are decent. And the research is interesting.

Last edited:
👍

There's plenty Sean Nos on youtube now. It was dying away for a while and it was at one time a topic for researchers etc and universities who went out recording what they could.

If you're interested in the links and Atlanteum.. and you can put up with the rather Beeb narrator on this video...from the 80s I think? If you can get through the patronising bit fpr the first few minutes 🙂
It's worth a look. The links between Ireland and Middle East and North Africa as seafaring travellers going right back 1000s of years.

will watch later

I had similar thoughts about my vinyl. Then, for a while, all I had to play music on was a dodgy Dansette which fucked most of my records, rendering them worthless. So that decision has been taken off me.
I still have a pile of 7s and 10s (mainly reggae) for djing that I love and would like to expand on.
When we did a lot of touring 2-4 years ago there was regular djing attached to it for after the gigs and on local radios. A dub set on vinyl always blew the kids away, so I'll stick with that for now.
thinking about it, I'm probably most precious about the vinyls of my mates', the self produced and small run ones. The ones my friends gave me. I don't care too much about having The Who or Dolly Parton or Bob Marley on vinyl, but my friends' (and related) stuff carry emotional value and I'd be sad to see them go.

thinking about it, I'm probably most precious about the vinyls of my mates', the self produced and small run ones. The ones my friends gave me. I don't care too much about having The Who or Dolly Parton or Bob Marley on vinyl, but my friends' (and related) stuff carry emotional value and I'd be sad to see them go.
thumbnail_20210627_125539.jpg

Forever Changes and Goats Head Soup have been in my collection for decades and have been played to death :thumbs:

One of my fave Stones LPs and a bit underrated as opposed to Exile which has been hyped well in excess of its actual musical worth. Don’t think there’s one dud track on it. You’ve just inspired me to put it on 😎

58B69D0C-1512-4E69-841D-3E7C602CC2E7.jpeg

👍

Eta...the prick narrating is irritating and patronising.
Be warned. But the people interviewed are decent. And the research is interesting.

My mum's family is originally Scottish fishing folk so we were sharing this video recently and remarked on the similarities to ME/African songs. We're no music anthropologists but interesting that there has been research to back up our uneducated hunch.

I'm keeping all my records, most of them have been treated brutally in various South london squats and venue's BITD so not worth fuck all anyway. :D

Yeah, as you say, the upsurge in prices is down to all the Acid House dad's (like me) with a few quid to spare (not like me) and a new record player. Nostalgia prices.

I was chatting to my mate Jan, big Northern Soul fan and we were wondering if there would be a point where all the Northern Soul fans start dying off and the prices will drop as the next generation have no interest.

My mum's family is originally Scottish fishing folk so we were sharing this video recently and remarked on the similarities to ME/African songs. We're no music anthropologists but interesting that there has been research to back up our uneducated hunch.

i saw this clip elsewhere, maybe here (?), and it stuck with me. I never thought about the similarities between it and ME music, but now that it's been pointed out I can't let that thought go.
I have a tape from Tihama (western Yemeni Red Sea coastal strip) with very similar call / response and clapping arrangements. I just tried to find it on youtube but that's nearly impossible. Might upload myself somehow.

I'm keeping all my records, most of them have been treated brutally in various South london squats and venue's BITD so not worth fuck all anyway. :D

Yeah, as you say, the upsurge in prices is down to all the Acid House dad's (like me) with a few quid to spare (not like me) and a new record player. Nostalgia prices.

I was chatting to my mate Jan, big Northern Soul fan and we were wondering if there would be a point where all the Northern Soul fans start dying off and the prices will drop as the next generation have no interest.
Totally that
Jungle has got that dad boost, plus younger generation getting into it, so double boosted.
And frankly id rather a deejay in their twenties was rinsing them the way I did.

But actually going through with selling...gulp.

Reggae prices seem only ever to go north. Timeless music I guess

i saw this clip elsewhere, maybe here (?), and it stuck with me. I never thought about the similarities between it and ME music, but now that it's been pointed out I can't let that thought go.
I have a tape from Tihama (western Yemeni Red Sea coastal strip) with very similar call / response and clapping arrangements. I just tried to find it on youtube but that's nearly impossible. Might upload myself somehow.

Aye, I think it may have appeared on the Bandwidthz thread.

I know nothing about it either but I'm also curious about ancient "European" drumming traditions, and to what extent they have been lost, either through Christian orthodoxy or some other repression.
Just as there is huge global commonality in singing styles id expect there to be more drumming similarities too.

Back
Top Bottom