Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Post random pics of your CD/vinyl/cassette collection

I was chatting to my mate Jan, big Northern Soul fan and we were wondering if there would be a point where all the Northern Soul fans start dying off and the prices will drop as the next generation have no interest.
Northern soul is bigger than ever and there's now a growing global market. Prices are still rising at alarming rates and it doesn't look likely that is going to change as the original collectors die off. However, it did happen with doo wop and to a lesser extent rock and roll as they fell out fashion and the collectors passed - records that had been selling for hundreds of pounds became more or less worthless.

Yes but I'm totally digitalised now - i love it
i dont really have any sentimental attachment to physical formats now
and ive come to hate clutter. if its not being used why have it.

at the latest one day i'll be dead and they will go, i could make some serious money off them in the meantime and actually get a lot of enjoyment out of that cash.
Totally digital for me now. I sold off most of my vinyl and CD's over the last few years and am grateful for the space I now have. I realised I could download an album quicker than I could find it on my shelves. I still have a few to shift, but stopped selling on Discogs at the start of the pandemic. - and most of what's left isn't that great.

It helped that I sold off a huge amount of books a few years back and it felt liberating, so I lost that attachment to "stuff"

Totally digital for me now. I sold off most of my vinyl and CD's over the last few years and am grateful for the space I now have. I realised I could download an album quicker than I could find it on my shelves. I still have a few to shift, but stopped selling on Discogs at the start of the pandemic. - and most of what's left isn't that great.

It helped that I sold off a huge amount of books a few years back and it felt liberating, so I lost that attachment to "stuff"
really relate to that. i was looking for a record the other day and couldnt find it.
im really over stuff.
being ill this year (long covid) has had a part in that....some morbid/existential thoughts... you cant take it with you. unused items also seem to give off their own whiff of death and decay to me at the moment.

that said if i was a roots / northern soul or whatnot dj, regularly playing out, and people were getting a kick out of the vinyl experience then it totally makes sense <but thats not my life.
dance music has gone digital apart from a few refuseniks and even modern digi dub is going digital - i went to a roots dance in deptford not long before lockdown - guys were playing fresh dubs on a windows media player!!! a new take on the one decks style

really relate to that. i was looking for a record the other day and couldnt find it.
im really over stuff.
being ill this year (long covid) has had a part in that....some morbid/existential thoughts... you cant take it with you. unused items also seem to give off their own whiff of death and decay to me at the moment.

that said if i was a roots / northern soul or whatnot dj, regularly playing out, and people were getting a kick out of the vinyl experience then it totally makes sense <but thats not my life.
dance music has gone digital apart from a few refuseniks and even modern digi dub is going digital - i went to a roots dance in deptford not long before lockdown - guys were playing fresh dubs on a windows media player!!! a new take on the one decks style
Sorry to hear of the long covid. hope it clears up :(

As for using Windows media player... Must have been amatures. Proper purists use Realplayer

a tradition so very unique to the North. The moves, the look, the tunes - largely unknown or forgotten about in the rest of the world, yet generation-spanning up North :cool:

Was (is) very popular in the Midlands too.
I think it's great that people of all ages are into it - I think it's likely to be passed on for a long time.

IMG_20210629_102020.jpg
Does anyone know the background to this sleeve? I've had severalf second hand records over the years with this sleeve, seemingly always a different label inside.
Was it just a generic sleeve you could buy in bulk?

View attachment 275898
Does anyone know the background to this sleeve? I've had severalf second hand records over the years with this sleeve, seemingly always a different label inside.
Was it just a generic sleeve you could buy in bulk?
I just pulled this one out:
20210629_103934.jpg
and it's got 'Distributed by P.R.T. Records, 132 Western Road, Mitcham, Surrey' printed in the bottom corner. I guess it was the generic sleeve they used.

View attachment 275900
and it's got 'Distributed by P.R.T. Records, 132 Wetern Road, Mitcham, Surrey' printed in the bottom corner. I guess it was the generic sleeve they used.
hah yes! got the same sleeve and tune combo
suggests the vinyl came from the US without a sleeve though! ive never had one with a paper inner, but that could be a coincidence

View attachment 275900
and it's got 'Distributed by P.R.T. Records, 132 Western Road, Mitcham, Surrey' printed in the bottom corner. I guess it was the generic sleeve they used.
A.k.a. Precision Records & Tapes Limited - UK record company previously known as Pye Records.

When the rights to the Pye name expired, the label changed its name to Pye/PRT (Precision Records & Tapes), around July 1980 and then to PRT only, effective 31 December 1980. PRT Records handled distribution for BBC Records And Tapes, Jive, and former Pye subsidiary Calibre Records (alternately known as Calibre + Plus!) as well as the UK distribution of Casablanca Records (until Phonogram took over UK distribution around 1981), Sugar Hill Records and Buddah Records.

A PRT Records Limited existed between May 1987 and November 1991.

PRT Records ceased operations in late 1989. The label's back catalog was acquired in 1990 by Castle Communications. The Pye/PRT catalog is now owned by BMG Rights Management unit Sanctuary Records.

from discogs

My Cliff Gober arrived this morning. All the way from LA & no customs charge, but the tune I bought it for sticks :( I know the seller, so a refund shouldn't be a problem, but it is annoying. Had a go at sorting it with a microscope and cocktail stick, but will probably send it of to a vinyl magician I use who can do miraculous repairs to otherwise fucked records
20210701_140749.jpg

My Cliff Gober arrived this morning. All the way from LA & no customs charge, but the tune I bought it for sticks :( I know the seller, so a refund shouldn't be a problem, but it is annoying. Had a go at sorting it with a microscope and cocktail stick, but will probably send it of to a vinyl magician I use who can do miraculous repairs to otherwise fucked records
View attachment 276253

A vinyl magician you say...

Back
Top Bottom