Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pizza

I think if it was done properly you'd serve the salad as a seperate course.

Broadly I don't like sides on seperate plates/bowls. But I don't want salad on my pizza.

Out of interest, fussy people, you’re in a restaurant and you order a side, what do you do with it? Do you eat a bit of the main and then a bit of the side, and backwards and forwards like that, like a neurotic? You don’t just tip the side dish onto the main?

You don't just tip it. You make some space for it on the main plate (if there isn't any), then transfer some of the side there - just enough to fill the space, no stacking, piling or shovelling. You eat and keep adding some extra side as space on the main plate becomes available. Personally, I find aesthetics important, so a pile/stack of food makes me eat faster and enjoy it less. It's got to be nicely arranged in as much as it is possible.

I usually eat a dressed salad as a separate course as it should be. Dressed salads should not co-exist on the same plate with the main course. It is to be served only after the main course has been eaten. I believe this is a French practice which I’ve inherited from my parents who studied and lived in France and picked up the habit there. However, undressed rocket on a pizza enhances it rather than diminishes it, esp with a margherita or a pepperoni pizza

You make some space for it on the main plate (if there isn't any),
That’s the thing with pizze, though: they cover the whole plate. I mean, I suppose I could eat a slice then fill the empty triangle with salad. But that just seems a bit too Edwardian to me. But if Edwardian’s your thing, go for it.

That’s the thing with pizze, though: they cover the whole plate. I mean, I suppose I could eat a slice then fill the empty triangle with salad. But that just seems a bit too Edwardian to me. But if Edwardian’s your thing, go for it.

Tbh, I don't really have sides with pizza, and prefer the kind of pizza that's not too heavy on the topping - so I can hold a slice in my hands rather than using a knife & fork.
I understand the rationale of having pizza with salad from a nutrition standpoint but I'd still pass on the salad or have it separately. The worst thing I've seen is Pizza Express cutting out the best part of a pizza and filling it with rocket. The combination works but it's kind of...sad?

What has gravy got to do with it though? It’s a condiment which you would put on neither salad nor pizza
I’m saying people have a blind spot about pizze. If I had half a pizza and salad or chips on the other side of the plate, people wouldn’t bat an eyelid.

Similarly, if you buy fish and chips and some chips get on top of the fish, you don’t say the fish has a “chip coating”. Or if you have a pie and mushy peas. Or whatever.

I’m saying people have a blind spot about pizze. If I had half a pizza and salad or chips on the other side of the plate, people wouldn’t bat an eyelid.

Similarly, if you buy fish and chips and some chips get on top of the fish, you don’t say the fish has a “chip coating”. Or if you have a pie and mushy peas. Or whatever.
Chips don't make the fish soggy and anyone dumping mushy peas on top of their pie would absolutely get shit from all the people who don't want soggy pie lids, unless they were the proper thick mushy peas that are almost dry.

Dumping coleslaw (boak) and other wet salady foods on your pizza both alters its flavour and texture, and makes them an unpickoutable part of the pizza. It's a step too far towards just sticking the lot in a blender because it'll all get mixed up in your stomach anyway.

Back
Top Bottom