Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pipkins (Inigo Pipkin) kids TV from the 70s

I remember it well.

There was another less well known programme at the time called Hickory House that had a freakish puppet called Humphrey Cushion that was far worse than anything Pipkins had. Also Dusty the Mop, a talking mop with a big pink cock for a nose. If I remember rightly.

Scarey stuff. :(

I remember it well.

There was another less well known programme at the time called Hickory House that had a freakish puppet called Humphrey Cushion that was far worse than anything Pipkins had. Also Dusty the Mop, a talking mop with a big pink cock for a nose. If I remember rightly.

Yes, it's all coming back to me, now!

Yeah I liked Hickory House too. Rainbow was Thames TV Pipkins was ATV & I think HH was Granada.

I remember it well.

Yes, that made it to Grampian, along with Rainbow - Thames and Grananda were much better represented up here.

In fact, some years later I learned that Grampian and Granada had a long-standing reciprocal partnership to cover emergencies/outages and their network control centres were linked by early ISDN-type lines at the transmission control/engineering level, so if one was taken-out for whatever reason, the other could keep broadcasting going on each others transmitter networks virtually seamlessly.

Which paid-off when the first 24hr broadcasting started in what, the late 1980s/early 1990s - there was a point where Grampian could shut-up shop for the night and hand control over to Granada till the next day - which meant that they stole STV‘s thunder by some months for the first Scottish all-night transmissions. STV‘s much lower standard technical operation could only rush-in clunky VTR-based transmissions in response.

Last edited:
Pipkins intro. Self-centred drama queen if ever there was one.
ATV, and it was on at lunchtime, or dinnertime, if you insist.

Last edited:
I super loved it. Don't remember the indigo pipkin version but was well into the one where Hartley had a ball at the beginning and mrs Popov lived next door in their crappy inner city flat. Didn't the bloke run some kind of brick a brac shop?

I remember it well.

Oh, I liked that as well. I remember the name dusty mop, and that I loved it, but can't visualise it without getting confused with paper play.

When I hear Pipkins this comes straight to mind.
View attachment 198109
Time for a story, I loved it. My brother 3 years older hated it. I'd say I was watching it mid to late 70's.
Fuck . . . .I still say that, and think of all the clocks in my head. . . . As I pause, before saying "for a story".
So basically, if I ever I am about to declare that it's time to do something, (go to the shops/finish a job/time we got moving) I can't help saying "for a story" instead.

'Jelly, cakes & jam but he's not so keen on ham' :D Song about pig.

Octavia had a french accent but not as sexy as Madame Cholat.

We got this show in Ireland. Depending on the reception, you'd either see it on UTV or HTV. Some of these kids programmes were well inventive back in the day.

Reactions: tim
After farmerbarleymow saying he had never heard of Hartley Hare & the rest of the Pipkins gang, (Topov, Tortoise, Octavia, Pig & Mooney Badger) it got me wondering to who else had fond memories of this 70s show. I remember it more from a must watch when stoned era to that when I originally watched it as a nipper.

Wiki link here.

Looking at the clip I posted in the PS coming out thread I am amazed at what they could get away with. :D

One of the first kids programmes to have regional accents and a non white presenter (for a while).

Anyone else a fan & who was your favourite character?

This is obviously something from the Scarfolk extended universe that has leaked into our reality.

Back
Top Bottom