Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pink v Amy Winehouse

Pink v Amy

• Total voters
Amy Winehouse made zero dent into early noughties UK garage. Whilst I'm no major fan of the Sovereign mix of There You Go, I at least recognise the place it had in Suburban 3am finish nightclubs.

The record Back to Black never was:

To me, Pink started well but didn't follow-up at all well, whilst Amy managed to keep going well for her whole but short career.

I do not particularly like either - but I have always thought there has, at least, been an honesty about Pink in her cynicism and using the music industry to her best possible advantage.

Brilliant songwriter, vocalist, and one of a kind artist that turns up every 25 years. Pink is really talented, but not on Amy's level.

Nope. That needs to be a little more specific - she was a 'one of a kind' vocalist to which crowd (and how might that 'gaze' have situated her)?

I mean, obviously, objectively, clearly, it's Amy, but sometimes when you're in a cab or walking past a bar, and you get a blast of 'party started' or 'who knew', it does lift you; the old filet mignon or tasty burger adage, I guess.

I love the stuff Pink did for You+Me (acoustic album with Dallas Green of City and Colour and Alexis on Fire). So for that reason Pink. But I agree with the queries regarding the basic premise of the poll - what has she got in common with Amy Winehouse to make it a comparison?

I went to see Pink once and she put on an amazing show. She went out into the crowd in one of those transparent plastic balls and I'm pretty sure she was on a trapeze at one point.

I went to see Amy Winehouse once and she didn't turn up cos she was off her face.

So Pink is my answer to this question.

- what has she got in common with Amy Winehouse to make it a comparison?
They need not have anything in common at all.

Would it be simpler for people if the question had been "whose music do you prefer?"

If someone asked me that question of 2 artists I'd be able to answer instantly in most cases. But then I'm not as up my own arse about music as a lot of people! ;)

Back
Top Bottom