Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Peckham Town FC - news and discussion

1-6. A proper drubbing/tonking/trouncing/pummelling. Mind you Croydon were a very good team indeed and had a real sense of unity on the pitch. The way their goalie went bananas after Peckham got one back at 5-1 showed how hungry they were for the win.

Let's hope lessons have been learnt by the Menace.

Peckham Town thrashed 6-1 by Croydon FC in London Senior Trophy clash

More pics Peckham Town thrashed 6-1 by Croydon FC in London Senior Trophy clash

Thrashed is such a harsh word. Can we go with roundly whacked with the beating stick?

It really didn't feel like a 6-1 spanking, which was kind of weird. We / The Menace had bright spells and opportunities, but I also recall George pulled off some fine saves as well! There was one particularly impressive one in the second half when I have no idea how he got across to keep it out. Several of Croydon players had played for Peckham before. The second goalscorer for Billericay also played for the Menace from age 6 to 15 apparently...oops.

Peckham Town Women “won” our first game of the season with a 3-0 walkover against Goaldiggers Development which is my first team (think of it like dual registration!). Definitely going to claim that clean sheet though as it’s been many years since my last one! 😆

I see Peckham Town have applied for promotion to Step 6 and I believe are the only applicants from their league. IIRC all they need now is to finish in the top 5 and meet the ground grading criteria; is that likely?

I see Peckham Town have applied for promotion to Step 6 and I believe are the only applicants from their league. IIRC all they need now is to finish in the top 5 and meet the ground grading criteria; is that likely?

Ground grading won't pass. I understand the Kent League talked the club into applying, presumably as it looks bad for league to have no applicants! No chance the ground will pass the onerous requirements for Step 6 by end of March sadly.

Ground grading won't pass. I understand the Kent League talked the club into applying, presumably as it looks bad for league to have no applicants! No chance the ground will pass the onerous requirements for Step 6 by end of March sadly.
Out of interest what would they need to do to get the ground up to Step 6 requirements?

I've always wondered whether Peckham could be tenants at the new Champion Hill, if as planned it has astro. I can see the potential downsides. But their income would go through the roof. The Menace is down the road from me, but it's a bit of a faff for most people. And nowhere near Peckham of course.

I've always wondered whether Peckham could be tenants at the new Champion Hill, if as planned it has astro. I can see the potential downsides. But their income would go through the roof. The Menace is down the road from me, but it's a bit of a faff for most people. And nowhere near Peckham of course.
I could see how it would make financial sense but I'd personally hate it if we turned into a Hamlet mini-me and played on astro turf on a characterless ground.

I don't think they need lights for promotion but must have them up by the following March so may need planning permission and proof of funding etc.

I’ll be honest, while wanting the best for Peckham, selfishly I want them to stay put. The surrounds of the ground are fantastic for kids to play - all grass, with a great little side pitch for their own games of footie. My sons hate going to mens games at Dulwich now because they’re basically not welcome; it would be tragic for them if Peckham moved in there and they lost that.

Is there any chance they can get approval for the necessary ground improvements? I suspect the Dulwich Estate would get in the way

It's all being worked upon, but progress is slow, and yes planning permission is required as well as permission from Dulwich Estate (Freeholder). There needs to be:

• a hard standing put down at Dulwich Road end and up to the main stand
  • public toilets added (so not shared with players)
  • a new portacabin put in place for self-contained dressing room*.

* The dressing rooms need to have self-contained showers. They are currently opposite the changing rooms. Cheapest quote we got to reconfigure inside was £180k due to asbestos inside as well. Hence, we will make the existing shower / changing area for both teams self-contained into one changing area, and put a second in a temporary structure at end of grass car park.

We need approval for floodlights from Dulwich Estate (have planning permission, but this will expire in April and we need to renew). We only need to have them installed by end of September following promotion, and Football Foundation will only release funding at this point.

Hopefully we will see Peckham Town Women even further integrated into the club and not only start building a female academy but also looking to move the women’s team into the pyramid.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom