Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Pandemic personal consequences

Both Covid colleagues have said they're returning today. One tested positive Saturday, the other Sunday.

One doesn't give a fuck about and probably has no concept of looking out for others, and the other is casual staff who doesn't get paid if he's off.

I'm just gonna take a laptop into a nearby room and do 1:1s for a couple of days. Turns out also I'm in a union the college doesn't recognize. Ace.

Both Covid colleagues have said they're returning today. One tested positive Saturday, the other Sunday.

One doesn't give a fuck about and probably has no concept of looking out for others, and the other is casual staff who doesn't get paid if he's off.

I'm just gonna take a laptop into a nearby room and do 1:1s for a couple of days. Turns out also I'm in a union the college doesn't recognize. Ace.
This is really unbelievable. . . have you mentioned it to these people is there not a head of department or HR? It's pretty outrageous.

Colleague that gives me a lift home Weds-Fri has got it now. But she's been advised to stay home. It's so crazy this.
Who advised her to stay home? Dr?
The others should be staying home too.
There surely must be a covid policy?
Over here if you're symptomatic you have to stay home.

Her line manager.
Line manager of the other two isn't bothered about anything but data
Covid policy has always followed government rules to the letter, so now it's down to the individual

The WHO Director-General concurs with the advice offered by the Committee regarding the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic and determines that the event continues to constitute a public health emergency of international concern (PHEIC).

Worth a read and maybe a share to the line managers Steel Icarus

I work in the NHS, we can come to work with Covid. It counts as sick days if we stay off, so if people feel fine with it they often come to work. Not that many people are testing anyway really. Covid patients are barely kept seperate in the department now.

I work in the NHS, we can come to work with Covid. It counts as sick days if we stay off, so if people feel fine with it they often come to work. Not that many people are testing anyway really. Covid patients are barely kept seperate in the department now.

They're still isolating covid patients here albeit all in together in the ward
And staff who are symptomatic are pretty much expected to steer clear. Not obligatory but it's usually a team decision...as in drs will advise the symptomatic dr that they will cover for the absence for a few days.

I know that teachers are being very careful too...even though it means taking sick leave.

We've had people come in and announce, in a meeting with all the teaching staff, that they're now 'only slightly' positive. These are salaried staff who actually do get sick pay. Twats.

We mask and test weekly at the school, many kids come to class coughing and sneezing, runny nosed and tired.

However everyone staff parents have been etheir sick and jabed or sick. been so for 2 years just about

Comment. Comment to the staff member, comment to your union rep, and comment in a non accusatory way about general policy.

As Aladdin says, long Covid is not fun.
Agreed.

I was diagnosed with long Covid over a year ago and, although my symptoms are comparatively minor, and slowly improving with the help of a graded exercise programme and a sympathetic employer allowing me to WFH 50% of the week, it is still having negative effects on my day-to-day life.

People like this man are selfish twats.

So I just got an email from the NHS which includes this:

'Your medical records currently show you might be suitable for treatments if you get coronavirus

We are contacting you because your medical records currently show that you have one or more of these health conditions. This means that treatments might be suitable for you if a test confirms you have coronavirus.

These treatments can stop you from getting seriously ill and need to be given quickly after you start to have symptoms.'

Which is fine and all but feels just a wee bit late in the day...? :confused:

Its certainly late in that it left quite a gap. But its not late in the sense that the virus has ongoing public health consequences and they need to keep offering that sort of service and drugs in order to reduce the burden on public health and health services. This system has been saving lives for ages but has been a bit patchy, and improving coverage over time is probably quite important. They also probably need to keep trying harder to compensate for the fact that public perceptions of risk have evolved in a way that may reduce uptake over time.

Its certainly late in that it left quite a gap. But its not late in the sense that the virus has ongoing public health consequences and they need to keep offering that sort of service and drugs in order to reduce the burden on public health and health services. This system has been saving lives for ages but has been a bit patchy, and improving coverage over time is probably quite important. They also probably need to keep trying harder to compensate for the fact that public perceptions of risk have evolved in a way that may reduce uptake over time.
Yeah, guess I heard people talking about this ages and ages ago so a bit surprised to just get this now. (AFAIK I've not actually had Covid yet but who knows.)

Yeah, guess I heard people talking about this ages and ages ago so a bit surprised to just get this now. (AFAIK I've not actually had Covid yet but who knows.)

I suppose you only getting that message now is either a sign of somewhat shambolic record keeping and communications, or else they have recently expanded things to add some conditions to the list that werent previously included in this programme.

So I just got an email from the NHS which includes this:

'Your medical records currently show you might be suitable for treatments if you get coronavirus

We are contacting you because your medical records currently show that you have one or more of these health conditions. This means that treatments might be suitable for you if a test confirms you have coronavirus.

These treatments can stop you from getting seriously ill and need to be given quickly after you start to have symptoms.'

Which is fine and all but feels just a wee bit late in the day...? :confused:
I got one of those followed a few days later with free test kits & a letter saying what you have to do to get the meds ASAP. Was also about a week after recovery but I hadn't reported it anywhere except work. :confused:

Reactions: Sue
Apparently they’ve stopped doing boosters now, which is a bit shit as I’m overdue one, postponed the last one as I had the actual illness when I was supposed to go in for it.
So what's happening now then? No more vaccinations, or just no more top ups for the vulnerable?

Was also about a week after recovery but I hadn't reported it anywhere except work. :confused:

Maybe you interpreted it as them having sent you that stuff because they knew you'd caught the virus, but actually this was a coincidence of timing and they just sent you that letter and the tests in order to speed up the process of gaining access to the treatment if you caught it at some point in the future.

I suppose you only getting that message now is either a sign of somewhat shambolic record keeping and communications, or else they have recently expanded things to add some conditions to the list that werent previously included in this programme.
I guess it is well-intended, but the timing is rather odd - I’m inclined to think of it as the digital equivalent of decades-delayed mail, whereby someone’s son or daughter receives a postcard from uncle Bert & auntie Jean on holiday in the Isle of Wight - addressed to their mum or dad, but posted 60 years ago 🧐

Am also curious about what these coronavirus treatments might be - perhaps they are recent developments?

In 2020 I was designated at higher risk due to COPD & asthma, advised to shield and was prioritised for the vaccines - for which I’m very grateful. When I did eventually get infected in October 2021 (it was during that period when the loathsome twat Johnson lifted mandatory mask-wearing in on public transport - I got it within 3 weeks of returning to work by Tube) the symptoms were comparatively mild.

(The long Covid has been more severe in impact and I’m still not yet 100% recovered, but I still consider myself lucky compared to other people, and have little doubt that without the vaccines I could well have been a lot worse off, possibly on a ventilator.
I was also pleasantly surprised that my local health authority ran a post-Covid rehab service, which did help me & other people I met there).

But I don’t recall receiving a message like @Sue’s one, so either the treatments they mention are new developments, or Sue is in a different health category to myself - for example, I and other people I know with respiratory disorders were no longer advised to shield once the vaccination programme had been up & running and we’d had our jabs & boosters.

However, two or three other friends with immunosuppressive conditions are still shielding.

Reactions: Sue
I've got migraine trouble at the moment so cant reply with proper detail at the moment. But the treatments have been around for quite a long time now, as has the system to offer them to people with certain conditions. We've mentioned them sporadically on these forums in recent years.

Here is a NHS page about them:

Back
Top Bottom