Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Over 44 people killed in crowd disaster in Israel

I just read the comment as its God’s will. That’s how it was. No point squabbling about who is the most right or wrong.
It happened, let them not read about idiotic things here.

They're not just religious, they're religious fundamentalists and bigots, and though it is sad that children have died, to be realistic they would have likely grown up to be hate-filled bigots.
They are still people who died horribly. Actual human beings. I'm atheist so to me all religions are fundamentalist crap but doesn't mean I can't have sympathy with people who suffer a tradegy like this .

I knew you were a racist with your comments about the English, hadn’t realised you were so anti Semitic you’d defend the Israeli police though.
Apology or retraction needed on this disgusting post

Why is this kind of bullshit slur and false accusation allowed to stay??

30 years after Hillsborough and all the many similar incidents that have happened since (the haj incident, Berlin Love Parade etc etc) it is deeply troubling that this sort of thing is still happening. So much is known about the behaviour of crowds and how to manage crowds safely these days, what on earth went wrong here?

Israel's state watchdog, the State Comptroller's office, issued warnings in 2008 and 2011 of the risk of a disaster.

Special danger was posed by access roads and paths which "are narrow and not appropriate to accommodate the hundreds of thousands of people who visit the site", the office was quoted as saying by the New York Times.

What was different this year was that bonfire areas were partitioned off as a Covid-19 precaution and this may have created unexpected choke-points for foot traffic, Reuters reports, quoting Israeli media.

Thousands of police officers closed down the event after the crush before helping evacuate attendees.

A380 Why do you think it's ok for you to do deluded cross thread beef and make disgusting offensive false accusations?

Far too early to tell, but that looks like a normal pitch staircase in the BBC article. Stairs and high density crowds are complete bastards. Bethnal Green being a case in point.
Bethnal Green? That was due to a rocket wasn't it?

Terrible situation in Israel. Poor people.

Post lifted from WW2 thread.

Awful stuff, the memorial is quite affecting when you read down through the names and ages.

"The 3rd of March marks the anniversary of the Bethnal Green tube disaster. One of the worst civilian disasters of WW2. The tube disaster still remains in many locals’ memories and recollective consciousness, but it wasn’t caused by enemy action."

Have to honest, really don't know why I'm supposed to care about the misfortunes of the jewish equivalent of the Taliban. The Mount Meron disaster is the main story on the Guardian site. The irony is that if it was pretty much any other group of people, these fundamentalists and bigots would be delighted and would be claiming it was a 'punishment from god'. These are ultra orthodox jews we are talking about after all.
Fuck you.

The article spitfire linked to discusses that.

Yes. Z Battery.

On 3 March 1943, civilians queueing to enter Bethnal Green Underground station in East London, which was being used at night as an air raid shelter, were panicked by the noise of a newly installed Z Battery firing in nearby Victoria Park. After somebody tripped on the stairs leading down to the ticket office, some three hundred people were crushed in the stairwell. 173 were killed and 90 needed hospital treatment

It wasn't a dream!

30 years after Hillsborough and all the many similar incidents that have happened since (the haj incident, Berlin Love Parade etc etc) it is deeply troubling that this sort of thing is still happening. So much is known about the behaviour of crowds and how to manage crowds safely these days, what on earth went wrong here?
The idea that this sort of thing could be prevented from happening by crowd management strategies of some sort, I don't know if that's realistic tbh.
I imagine these things have always happened, since ever humans got together in huge crowds in enclosed spaces.
I'm not good in crowds. do involuntarily think about this horrible scenario sometimes when there's stuff like rush hour on the tube and you have to use the stairs, or at notting hill carnival one time when there was a sudden quick movement in the mass of tightly packed people to get away from something. I think it's pretty much always a risk, unless you just ban dense enclosed crowds of humans, which is also not likely.

Even in the 1980s lots of people knew it was a bad idea to send loads of people into an already crowded space, Hillsborough wasn't some oh dear accident, it was caused by police officers directing people to do something which was dangerous because they didn't give a flying fuck about Liverpool supporters' lives

Yes, I've just been reading up on it again. I was sure that I read something about an experimental AA rocket of some sort having something to do with it but can't find anything about it now. Perhaps I dreamt it.

An anti-aircraft rocket spooked the people causing the crush.

Balham tube station had a similar tragedy that seems more forgotten than Bethnal Green, 66 officially recorded dead at 802pm on 14th October 1940, the station clock stopped so we know the time, the tunnel collapsed, was being used as shelter even though it's not a particularly deep station :(

Having been in several crushes, thankfully none fatal I can attest that they are scary as hell, I place a hand under each side of my chin with my wrists touching that creates a guard over my chest. Wouldn't survive what happened yesterday, or Hillsborough though :(

Have to honest, really don't know why I'm supposed to care about the misfortunes of the jewish equivalent of the Taliban. The Mount Meron disaster is the main story on the Guardian site. The irony is that if it was pretty much any other group of people, these fundamentalists and bigots would be delighted and would be claiming it was a 'punishment from god'. These are ultra orthodox jews we are talking about after all.

Ah, as always the wrong sort of Jews so it's OK.

Yes, I've just been reading up on it again. I was sure that I read something about an experimental AA rocket of some sort having something to do with it but can't find anything about it now. Perhaps I dreamt it.
My grandad was in Bethnal Green Civil Defence during the war. He told me that they got new rockets so went to the park to try them out. It was the unexpected sound of those explosions that caused the rush to the tube station :(

My mum has still got his Bethnal Green Civil Defence cap badge.

Even in the 1980s lots of people knew it was a bad idea to send loads of people into an already crowded space, Hillsborough wasn't some oh dear accident, it was caused by police officers directing people to do something which was dangerous because they didn't give a flying fuck about Liverpool supporters' lives
The tragedy at Hillsborough was that crowd numbers like the one that day had been managed there without incident for years but the new Superintendent (Duckenfield) was an arrogant fucker who, despite a lack of experience in what we'd now call event management, thought he could do it and didn't need to listen to his predecessor who knew what he was doing. No proper training or accreditation in those days, just macho shit.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom