Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Olympic Commute Ranting Thread

It's almost like..... a thousand Chicken Littles have been predicting a traffic apocalypse...that never happened.
Either that or people took all the wall-to-wall warnings seriously and actually adjusted their behaviour to prevent the problems. My whole team and most of my company are working from home for a fortnight, to pick an example. Multiply that up by hundreds of thousands of commuters and you have your answer. If we had collectively scoffed at the "Chicken Littles" instead, it genuinely would be everything people feared.

Either that or people took all the wall-to-wall warnings seriously and actually adjusted their behaviour to prevent the problems. My whole team and most of my company are working from home for a fortnight, to pick an example. Multiply that up by hundreds of thousands of commuters and you have your answer.
this
most of team are working at home or taking a/l

Ive got to got to Leytonstone on Wed from Brixton - any tips ( I *know* I could look it up myself but I was hoping to call on St Minnie of London2012 for expert guidance )

I cycled in to be safe, but had to ask a hairdresser to dry me off to avoid sweaty sex offender look which is not ideal for job interviews.

I drove in the Olympic congested streets today!!! very little traffic Hackney to Camden - probably will be more when I drive home later -

will update the THREAD

If we had collectively scoffed at the "Chicken Littles" instead, it genuinely would be everything people feared.

Kinda like Y2K. That was a real problem, but it got fixed, so it wasn't a problem.

"But they said it was going to be a problem!"

:facepalm:
Welcome back btw :)

**Update**

Traffic very light - Camden to Hackney this afternoon - left at about 4.15... 'swoosh'>>>>>> I was home rapidly, but drove safely and within the local speed limits :cool:

Took myself to the V&A today. Would have got there in record time but for the Olympic Lane and associated traffic restrictions on Cromwell Rd, that meant I had to turn the wrong way and had no way of turning round or turning off it, and got funnelled inexorably towards Shepherd's Bush. Eventually managed to get headed the other way and got similarly funnelled past the V&A in the opposite direction. Added a couple of miles onto my journey.

Went home via Sloane Square which was empty, just me and a taxi going round it at 4pm.

Completely non-Olympics-related signal failure at Cannon St this evening causing 'transport chaos' at London Bridge as well, about to be reported by the media as 'Olympicstransportgeddon'.

Edit: on the plus side, it'd be about 400% more attention that Southeastern's usual fuckwittery attracts from the North London (south London is full of crime and ethnics) Standard.

Completely non-Olympics-related signal failure at Cannon St this evening causing 'transport chaos' at London Bridge as well, about to be reported by the media as 'Olympicstransportgeddon'.

Edit: on the plus side, it'd be about 400% more attention that Southeastern's usual fuckwittery attracts from the North London (south London is full of crime and ethnics) Standard.

Fingers crossed no fuck-ups today as about to send friends off to Excel. Have told them to go to London Bridge and get Jubilee Line from there

He's just told me he won't empty the dishwasher because he's at work :mad:
Ask him whether he saw last night's Eastenders. Then show him endless photographs of your children. Create a note in Comic Sans and hang it up in the kitchen; something along the lines of his mother not working there. Hide a computer cable - when he complains ask him whether he has switched the computer off and on again.

Start crying in the bathroom. When he comes in tell him your period has/has not started....

Ask him whether he saw last night's Eastenders. Then show him endless photographs of your children. Create a note in Comic Sans and hang it up in the kitchen; something along the lines of his mother not working there. Hide a computer cable - when he complains ask him whether he has switched the computer off and on again.
Well, we don't have a telly and he's blind, but the general gist is one I shall adapt and run with...To fuck him right up all I have to do is move the fridge....

I was initially scuppered by forgetting that the working Guide Dog is out on a jolly for the day with hendo and Ms T, along with the retired Guide Dog. I then realised I've got him over a barrel and have charged him £4.50 for a bacon sandwich and made him empty the dishwasher. I think I might be the only non-corporate to make any money out of the Olympics :)

I was initially scuppered by forgetting that the working Guide Dog is out on a jolly for the day with hendo and Ms T, along with the retired Guide Dog. I then realised I've got him over a barrel and have charged him £4.50 for a bacon sandwich and made him empty the dishwasher. I think I might be the only non-corporate to make any money out of the Olympics :)
Genius! :D

Either that or people took all the wall-to-wall warnings seriously and actually adjusted their behaviour to prevent the problems. My whole team and most of my company are working from home for a fortnight, to pick an example. Multiply that up by hundreds of thousands of commuters and you have your answer. If we had collectively scoffed at the "Chicken Littles" instead, it genuinely would be everything people feared.

Having already lived through it, I had a thought about what would happen there as well.

Traffic report *UPDATE*

Fairly light traffic from Hackney to Camden today - no delays - expecting delays this afternoon when I go home - so might walk a bit and sample some pubs on way home :)

Reports today from my daily phone call with work is that the traffic has seriously ramped up now.

Back
Top Bottom